Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2071831 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9975 on: May 21, 2016, 07:44:51 pm »
'Sides, there's the whole anti-technology bent of LotR that's a lot more obvious than any implied racism and/or support of segregation.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #9976 on: May 21, 2016, 09:39:07 pm »
While we're on the subject of Tolkien, can I just say that the purists who insist he was a perfect god-author irritate me to no end? This actually applies to just about any writer, but Tolkien fans seem especially prone. Yes, Tolkien was brilliant. Yes, he basically created modern fantasy. But he had flaws. I swear, because I like the movies better than the books, I'm treated like a monster. Forgive me that I don't care for plot convenience elves and characters randomly breaking onto song for no reason.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9977 on: May 21, 2016, 09:44:42 pm »
Forgive me that I don't care for plot convenience elves and characters randomly breaking onto song for no reason.

Tolkien's probably not for you, then. The books -- arguably the world-building itself -- were a vehicle for the languages he made. You can't show your work on artificial language without a whole lot of songs.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9978 on: May 21, 2016, 09:55:57 pm »
Forgive me that I don't care for plot convenience elves and characters randomly breaking onto song for no reason.

Tolkien's probably not for you, then. The books -- arguably the world-building itself -- were a vehicle for the languages he made. You can't show your work on artificial language without a whole lot of songs.

But, like, all languages are artificial, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9979 on: May 21, 2016, 11:33:46 pm »

But, like, all languages are artificial, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Ja ili estas.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #9980 on: May 22, 2016, 01:27:26 am »
So I was off tonight. First night off in a little over a week, I've been covering for other people so my boss told me to stay home tonight. Yay! Sent the kids to bed early so Mrs. Rookie and I could get some quality time in. From 9 til she started dozing around 11:30 she was on her goddamn phone. Sure, she'd answer if I said something to her, but never once looked up from her phone. I actually got up and went out for a pack of cigarettes with not a word from her when I got back. Usually I get a little passive aggressive and will start messaging her after a while. But tonight I was curious to see where her line was. I've spent nights in the desert where I was the only one around (awake). And yet I can honesty say with no hyperbole I've never felt so distant from her.
I want to give a touch of context. I'm a food service manager who's last 4 weeks averages 53 hours a week. Weekends are 2 days off in a row. Vacations 3. Friday and Saturday nights are whee you want to be manager heavy. Let me phase it like this. I never see my wife on a night where she doesn't have to get ready for work tomorrow or the kids ready for school. Obviously we aren't going out, but we have a couple concerts in the dvr abs I sprung for a bottle of her favorite. And she was on her phone the whole time.
Don't get me wrong, I'll say something to her later in the morning. I need a good night's sleep and a fine oregano from my garden to make sure I don't say anything I can't take back.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9981 on: May 22, 2016, 06:05:38 am »
'Sides, there's the whole anti-technology bent of LotR that's a lot more obvious than any implied racism and/or support of segregation.

I was under the impression it was really more anti-industrialisation than anti-technology?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9982 on: May 22, 2016, 10:15:05 am »

I was under the impression it was really more anti-industrialisation than anti-technology?

Maybe?  Either way, its Luddite bullshit that pisses me off to no end.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9983 on: May 22, 2016, 10:16:00 am »

Still not as bad as in Star Trek: Insurrection.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9984 on: May 22, 2016, 10:23:11 am »

To be fair, few things are as bad as Insurrection.  The only things I can think of that are as terrible are ST: Nemesis and Avatar.  Sorry, but killing Data blew and magical, blue space Indians somehow managing to force a military capable of interstellar travel off their planet is just plain laughable.  In the case of Avatar, the unseen ending is that the Earth sends the rest of its military to bombard Pandora from orbit, running a scorched earth campaign just to get at the unobtanium and using the death of a general by the traitor Jake Sully as a rallying cry to obliterate all life on Pandora.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9985 on: May 22, 2016, 10:40:45 am »
In Avatar the natives drive off a private corporation. After causing considerable financial damage to the corporation as well as loss of human lives. The government(s?) of Earth could probably send a military force to take over the planet but I'm not sure if the corporation can get the funds after an embarrassing and costly defeat. Particularly if words get out of the kind of slaughter of natives the company's private army had been doing prior to their defeat.

It's also possible that the mining rights go to a different corporation or that the government(s?) take over the mining enterprise and who knows, perhaps they will dig for the "Unobtanium" in places that aren't under alien settlements?

And seeing as Tolkien saw the rising industrial power being turned to the use of warfare and slaughter on a scale that had not been seen before in human history it makes sense that he would write about the dangers of technology and warfare.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Even Then

« Reply #9986 on: May 22, 2016, 10:45:05 am »
So there's this guy I know on this forum, right? (Not this one.) I think: "Hm, maybe he's around on other sites too? I'll google the username." And sure enough, there's some results...

...one of which is from rule34.xxx. Apparently the guy drew a Naruto yaoi pic with Minato and an underage Kakashi in it. So that is a thing.

EvEv's Bizarre Adventure

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9987 on: May 22, 2016, 01:25:29 pm »
At least Avatar was pretty to look at and technically impressive.  I mean that doesn't make it good but it's something at least.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9988 on: May 22, 2016, 01:34:42 pm »
Grr, damned concurrent modification exceptions.  I'm trying to advance in ChromatiCraft, but I can't do that if you crash in the middle of fucking crafting, you asshole.

[ETA]

What's worse is that there's no real way for Reika, the mod author, to fix them.  Java's threading just fucks up and explodes, occasionally.  Is there a way in which Java isn't a piece of utter shit?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 01:37:46 pm by RavynousHunter »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #9989 on: May 22, 2016, 07:21:08 pm »

To be fair, few things are as bad as Insurrection.  The only things I can think of that are as terrible are ST: Nemesis and Avatar.  Sorry, but killing Data blew and magical, blue space Indians somehow managing to force a military capable of interstellar travel off their planet is just plain laughable.  In the case of Avatar, the unseen ending is that the Earth sends the rest of its military to bombard Pandora from orbit, running a scorched earth campaign just to get at the unobtanium and using the death of a general by the traitor Jake Sully as a rallying cry to obliterate all life on Pandora.
I thought the final battle in Nemesis was hella Anti-climatic, I mean the [spoilers] ship to ship combat was fairly cool but just killing the bad guy by impaling him on a swing-out spike is stupid. And all data needed to do was bring two of the transportation thingies (because I'm pretty sure they'd have more of them) so he could set his phaser to overload, drop it near the core, and beam out.