Author Topic: Britain Vs. Argentina: Is on the verge of an actual Royal Rumble  (Read 20785 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: Britain Vs. Argentina: Is on the verge of an actual Royal Rumble
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2012, 11:04:16 pm »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2012, 11:55:54 pm »
They're a bunch of rocks, hardly anyone lives on them. Like Taiwan. They don't matter even slightly except as a provocation to both sides.
Oh, I notice you're still ignoring the fact that they're not at all useless. You know what oil is? Do you know that there's a lot of the stuff just off the coast of South America? Do you know that a big part of the disputes between Argentina and Britain is over drilling rights in the surrounding waters?

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2012, 01:24:50 am »
They're a bunch of rocks, hardly anyone lives on them. Like Taiwan. They don't matter even slightly except as a provocation to both sides.
Oh, I notice you're still ignoring the fact that they're not at all useless. You know what oil is? Do you know that there's a lot of the stuff just off the coast of South America? Do you know that a big part of the disputes between Argentina and Britain is over drilling rights in the surrounding waters?

Yeah, I just mentioned something about there may be
60 billion barrels of oil beneath the territorial waters of the Falkland islands

Do you think if we keep subtly mentioning it he will eventually notice and comment on it?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2012, 01:56:59 am »

Yeah, I just mentioned something about there may be
60 billion barrels of oil beneath the territorial waters of the Falkland islands

Do you think if we keep subtly mentioning it he will eventually notice and comment on it?
Well we can live in hope, though considering his argument is apparently that the Falkland people don't deserve the military protection of their government to whom they pay taxes (unless they have an arbitrary "cultural connection" to the place), I'm not sure it's particularly likely.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2012, 02:12:15 am »

When did they discover this oil? Was it after Thatcher's war?

That might provide a reasonable justification for the conflict from a realist's perspective. Assuming Britain knew about it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:15:42 am by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2012, 02:22:09 am »

When did they discover this oil? Was it after Thatcher's war?

That might provide a reasonable justification for the conflict from a realist's perspective. Assuming Britain knew about it.

Oh, they know about it.

Quote from: Wikipedia
In February 2010, exploratory drilling for oil was begun by Desire Petroleum,[107] but the results from the first test well were disappointing.[108] Two months later, on 6 May 2010, Rockhopper Exploration announced that "it may have struck oil".[109] Subsequent tests showed it to be a commercially viable find,[110] an appraisal project was launched [111] and on 14 September 2011 Rockhopper Exploration announced plans are under way for oil production to commence in 2016, through the use of Floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) technology.[112]

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2012, 06:12:31 am »
Is the right to self-determination even when some neighbour wants the land you live on worth nothing anymore?
Both countries' claims go back to before the current settlement of the islands, and it has been a British colony since 1833. There are 3100 people supporting that claim living on the island. As far as I know, nobody seriously claims to be a descendant of the Argentinian settlers of 1829 which may or may not have been expelled when the British took over. A legal claim is not worthless, but after more than a century of it being contrary to the facts, and having no other support to it, I don't think it relevant anymore. Not if the other side can bring up so much more.

Fun Fact: The British government discussed ceding the islands in the Sixties with Argentina, but the islanders got wind of the talks and protested.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2012, 10:11:26 am »
Like white Mozambicans, you mean?

Or native-born Israelis.

Exactly.

So you think it would be alright to forcibly uproot MILLIONS of people from the only home they have ever known just because their grandparents weren't born there?
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2012, 11:11:30 am »

Or native-born Israelis.

Exactly.

So you think it would be alright to forcibly uproot MILLIONS of people from the only home they have ever known just because their grandparents weren't born there?

So we can kick everyone out of Australia then?
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2012, 01:07:26 pm »

Or native-born Israelis.

Exactly.

Not according to a previous thread; it wold be terribly inconvenient and the Aborigines don't really want the non-natives to leave. This thread if you are morbidly curious (starts around page 3).

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2012, 11:19:32 am »

Or native-born Israelis.

Exactly.

Not according to a previous thread; it wold be terribly inconvenient and the Aborigines don't really want the non-natives to leave. This thread if you are morbidly curious (starts around page 3).

Thanks, I tried following the logic and felt myself losing the will to live.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2012, 01:54:46 pm »
Thanks, I tried following the logic and felt myself losing the will to live.

There was a reason I used the word 'morbidly'  :D

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2012, 11:03:16 pm »
I think this will just turn out to be another round of sabre-rattling. I'd be very, very surprised if this escalated into actual conflict.

For starters the Argentinians can't risk being the subject of embargos from Europe and the US as a result of an illegal annexation, especially in a recession like this. They certainly don't want the memories of the Galtieri regime to be re-awakened in South America and the rest of the world.

Secondly, with Prince William on the islands it would be extremely risky to attack. It's one thing to attack a disputed territory miles from the home nation, it's another thing to kill the future head of state of a G8 nation. I wouldn't say the international condemnation is worth it.

Thirdly, I'm not convinced that Argentina even have the resources to mount a successful invasion. Figures vary on the size of the airforce's fighter and bomber squadrons, but I've seen anything from the mid thirties to the mid sixties quoted. Bearing in mind that many of these aircraft are actually veterans of the first Falklands conflict and were twenty years old even then. This story repeats itself throughout the rest of the military too. When you compare that with what Britain currently has in the area; four brand new Typhoons (one of the world's most advanced fighter/bombers), a Type 45 destroyer (the world's most advanced air defence ship) and potentially a nuclear submarine. It's too much of a military risk for Argentina, who would have to throw everything at the task to succeed.

This is a particularly damning report on that very subject:

http://www.thecuttingedgenews.com/index.php?article=11294&pageid=44&pagename=Slices
'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart

Art Vandelay

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2012, 01:36:44 am »

Or native-born Israelis.

Exactly.

Wow... That's just special.