Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1653720 times)

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #1665 on: November 25, 2012, 11:25:27 pm »
My point is that many liberals are unfair to poor old Ronald. He never really did anything wrong. He read out some speeches and occasionally signed some documents. He wasn't responsible for Iran-Contra, he just didn't have the brainpower to understand it.

Sure... but that had nothing to do with my point. Whether he knew what he was doing or not he still acted happy on stage.

Like Dubya?

Yeah I guess. I didn't use Dubya as an example though because a lot of republicans don't really like him, or at least respect him much less than Reagan. Also he was president when whiny conservatism was becoming more popular IMO.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #1666 on: November 26, 2012, 04:46:38 pm »
You said it was biblical, and the south is known for being into their bibles. Thus my assumption it's a southern thing. I mean, I know the Pop and Soda divergence tends to be east/west based.

But the full name is Soda-Pop, so nobody's wrong!

However the south isn't known for actually reading their bibles.

Or reading...

Hey!  I'm from the South, and I read.   :-\

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1667 on: November 26, 2012, 04:48:00 pm »
You said it was biblical, and the south is known for being into their bibles. Thus my assumption it's a southern thing. I mean, I know the Pop and Soda divergence tends to be east/west based.

Or reading...

Same here. But the stereotype of southerners not reading is kind of true for most...

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #1668 on: November 26, 2012, 04:49:07 pm »
My point is that many liberals are unfair to poor old Ronald. He never really did anything wrong. He read out some speeches and occasionally signed some documents. He wasn't responsible for Iran-Contra, he just didn't have the brainpower to understand it.

I have not yet read a recent school history book entry about Reagan, so maybe the school districts need to improve their vetting process for textbook accuracy and bias.

I was an adult when Reagan was elected. I was young and naive, and I voted for him his first term. He, however, was not naive. He was not stupid. He was not innocent. He did quite a bit more than just sign a few papers. The nice old grand dad act was just that - an act,  performed by a former professional movie actor. This absolutely drove the better journalists and Democratic politicians at that time nuts!

No matter what dirt they came up with on Reagan, he just smiled and shrugged and awwwww shucked it off. His nickname wasn't just "The Great Communicator", it was also "The Teflon President". He simply never got caught outright. It almost seems as if people nowadays are solely focused on his last days in office, when he had the early warning signs of onset of Alzheimer's. Please, understand that I don't see him as "poor old addle-brained Gram-pa Reagan". I witnessed his presidency. I remember things quite a bit differently. He was just a smooth operator.

Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #1669 on: November 26, 2012, 04:50:51 pm »

Or reading...

It would help if southern politicians weren't so keen on cutting education.  Like Haley Barbour.
Same here. But the stereotype of southerners not reading is kind of true for most...

It would probably help if southern politicians weren't so keen on abolishing public education.  Haley Barbour is a prime example of a Southern Politician cutting education to make the budget.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #1670 on: November 26, 2012, 04:55:38 pm »
I think I could go get the Texas Republican platform to see that there's another reason why they are against public education. Stupid people are easier to control. You can't have a democracy without education.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1671 on: November 26, 2012, 05:29:26 pm »
Also many conservatives think education is snobby.
Plus there's the stigma of "Atheist libruls teachin homo-monkey-sex" (Professionals teaching sex-ed, evolution, Big bang theory, etc).
I'm not kidding about the last part. I remember in middle school us learning about how crappy the USA education system is compared to other countries, and a few students commenting "Well other countries must have better schools since they don't teach crap like atheism and evolution".
Also I remember reading a blog about Japanese high school's vs American high schools and one of the comments mentioned something about Japanese schools being better. Then they went off about how they would never let their kids go to a public school since they teach "atheistic theories like Big Bang and evolution" and how they took religion out of schools. She completely missed the point about how USA education hasn't been as good as other countries. The lady didn't seem to realize that Japan is less than 1% Christian, and that their schools are pretty much secular and provide a much better science curriculum. The lady who ran the blog replied back and refuted everything she said though, and the Christian lady had an "oh" sort of response.

• The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #1672 on: November 26, 2012, 05:36:43 pm »
Plus there's the stigma of "Atheist libruls teachin homo-monkey-sex" (Professionals teaching sex-ed, evolution, Big bang theory, etc).
I'm not kidding about the last part. I remember in middle school us learning about how crappy the USA education system is compared to other countries, and a few students commenting "Well other countries must have better schools since they don't teach crap like atheism and evolution".
Also I remember reading a blog about Japanese high school's vs American high schools and one of the comments mentioned something about Japanese schools being better. Then they went off about how they would never let their kids go to a public school since they teach "atheistic theories like Big Bang and evolution" and how they took religion out of schools. She completely missed the point about how USA education hasn't been as good as other countries. The lady didn't seem to realize that Japan is less than 1% Christian, and that their schools are pretty much secular and provide a much better science curriculum. The lady who ran the blog replied back and refuted everything she said though, and the Christian lady had an "oh" sort of response.

I actually went to a Catholic Private School and got a better education than most high schools in the area because Catholicism places a high value on self-determination, history, and critical thinking, at least the more Liberal Catholicism in my area. It also helps that Catholicism doesn't go around trying to actively deny science, but instead conforms to it nowadays. We did have one protestant in my school, but I never asked him about his position on evolution or it all. He was from a conservative type family, but he didn't snub education. He just knew he wasn't very naturally smart, especially in comparison to some of the people he hung out with.

I want to get with some crazy conservatives that put Ayn Rand and Jesus on the same boat, and then explain how Jesus was really a communist, but its barest definition. I really do.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1673 on: November 26, 2012, 05:59:33 pm »

I actually went to a Catholic Private School and got a better education than most high schools in the area because Catholicism places a high value on self-determination, history, and critical thinking, at least the more Liberal Catholicism in my area. It also helps that Catholicism doesn't go around trying to actively deny science, but instead conforms to it nowadays. We did have one protestant in my school, but I never asked him about his position on evolution or it all. He was from a conservative type family, but he didn't snub education. He just knew he wasn't very naturally smart, especially in comparison to some of the people he hung out with.

I want to get with some crazy conservatives that put Ayn Rand and Jesus on the same boat, and then explain how Jesus was really a communist, but its barest definition. I really do.

Aren't most southerners protestant though? I like the Catholic schools education better than southern public schools sometimes, but the states don't have much control over what they teach.

• The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #1674 on: November 26, 2012, 06:15:39 pm »
I believe most Southerners are protestants. I just know the general statistics where Catholics are 33% of American Christians, at least last stat I saw. Might have gone up actually since HIspanics are overwhelming Catholic.

Offline Moltar

• Bishop
« Reply #1675 on: November 26, 2012, 06:19:53 pm »
The lack of proper education in the South relative to the North is not a stereotype. Educational outcomes are worse, adjusting for all the usual stuff, than the North. That's the opposite of a stereotype.

From what I hear a C in the north is like an A in the south. Is there any truth to this?

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1676 on: November 26, 2012, 06:22:18 pm »
The lack of proper education in the South relative to the North is not a stereotype. Educational outcomes are worse, adjusting for all the usual stuff, than the North. That's the opposite of a stereotype.

From what I hear a C in the north is like an A in the south. Is there any truth to this?

I had an Aussie friend who said a low A in our school was a C or D in Australia.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1677 on: November 26, 2012, 06:30:32 pm »
I dunno since I went to Pittsford which is one of the top 100 districts but I think the southern states rank lower on SATs

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1678 on: November 26, 2012, 06:46:57 pm »
I dunno since I went to Pittsford which is one of the top 100 districts but I think the southern states rank lower on SATs

The ACT is a southern thing ("thang" lol). The SAT's are a Northern thing. Most colleges in the south don't require SAT's to get in, so our schools tend to focus their curriculum around the ACT. Plus people here generally take it as a "back up".

• The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #1679 on: November 26, 2012, 07:15:15 pm »
I did amazing on the ACT and pretty average on the SAT. But mostly because I will guess. I've been told not to guess but I couldn't help it. I think that's just nutty that you're punished for guessing.