Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1649920 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #3345 on: February 18, 2014, 12:55:02 am »
I'd argue that you're not helping the situation with your gigantic capitalized text, ironbite.  You're not really a mod either.  Also, I realize that me calling you out on that could almost be considered hypocritical.
You've been here much longer than I have, Jack, so I'd like to ask you a question.  Was Ironbite always an asshole, or is this just a recent development?

I think the best way to sum up Ironbite is "He's a gigantic cybernetic asshole, but he's OUR gigantic cybernetic asshole"

... that being said, boy's got a hair trigger, but we all do in some fashion on here.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3346 on: February 18, 2014, 12:59:05 am »
Here we go again! Take it to the Flame & Burn section!
http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?board=12.0

Now, there will be no more flame wars, only Best Political Cartoons.

The same holds true for the Worst Political Cartoons.

Quit flaming & trolling and stick with cartoon-posting! *SHEESH!*

Debates have always been a part of this forum, and have often resulted in some of the best discussions we've had. F&B is generally only for the ones that get way out of hand or for call-out threads.

(Yeah, I'm not a mod, but it would be nice to be able to have a disagreement in a thread without everyone sounding the alarms. We used to constantly have debates like this one without the need for F&B threads, and it was awesome.)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:01:41 am by The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3347 on: February 18, 2014, 01:00:27 am »
Here we go again! Take it to the Flame & Burn section!
http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?board=12.0

Now, there will be no more flame wars, only Best Political Cartoons.

The same holds true for the Worst Political Cartoons.

Quit flaming & trolling and stick with cartoon-posting! *SHEESH!*

Debates have always been a part of this forum, and have often resulted in some of the best discussions we've had. F&B is generally only for the ones thats get way out of hand or for call-out threads.
^This.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #3348 on: February 18, 2014, 01:32:08 am »
Spoiled for size:

(click to show/hide)

That said, they were both right; Orwell was just right for a place where you and I don't live.

The thing is, both approaches are not mutually exclusive. You can both attempt to hide the truth while drowning out what little that manages to slip past the censors with trivialities. Both happen on a regular basis in just about all countries to lesser or greater degrees.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3349 on: February 18, 2014, 01:51:08 am »
Regarding exotic pets: Unless an animal has specifically been bred for domestication, its instincts simply can't be accommodated for when kept as a pet. Dogs, cats, some species of rodents, snakes, birds and so on -- they've all been adapted to life with humans through generations of breeding, which has altered their instincts & needs -- and even then, an owner must have a good understandable of the species in order to keep them happy and healthy. Because tigers, ocelots, etc. still maintain all of their wild instincts, regardless of whether they've ever actually lived in the wild, even the carefullest upbringing by a well-educated owner still can't alter what nature has given them. Exotic "pet" enthusiasts can abuse the word "domesticated" all they want, but at the end of the day, what they really have is a heavily stunted wild animal.

Which brings us to another issue: Once raised in captivity, these animals are unable to survive alone in the wild because they haven't learned the necessary skills & behaviors to hunt and/or protect themselves, yet still have needs that are extremely difficult to meet in captive environments. The result is that we have sanctuaries full of rejected exotic "pets" with major behavioral issues, health problems, and so on that can never truly be "cured" -- only managed by experienced animal handlers. They might live a little longer than they would in the wild (depending on how badly the owner screwed them up), but the reduced quality of life really isn't worth the trade-off, particularly when animals don't have any concept of lifespan, mortality and the future like humans do. Living a long life doesn't really mean dick to a creature that only lives in the present.

Worst of all, it also poses a serious risk to humans. Combine the potential aggressiveness stemming from the psychological and psychological problems captive exotic animals are prone to with a lack of natural fear of humans (most wild animals, even dangerous predators, tend towards "flight" responses around humans, since we're unfamiliar and represent an unknown level of risk), and you can easily end up with someone being seriously harmed or killed by your "pet".

ETA: Basically, if the only way to allow your "pet" to thrive is replicating a habitat that is completely unlike the environment humans live in, you're doing a disservice to both yourself and the animal by trying to keep it in captivity.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:59:03 am by The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #3350 on: February 18, 2014, 01:52:13 am »
DOCTAH! Oi, space man, you're needed here!

Mmmmmmn... Not just yet.  As long as what's being argued about is pertaining to a particular political cartoon, it should be okay.  Too many posts dedicated to it however, and I'll have to ask that it be taken to its own thread.

Oh yeah, and "Oi! earth girl! ... Guy!"

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3351 on: February 18, 2014, 02:06:58 am »
DOCTAH! Oi, space man, you're needed here!

Mmmmmmn... Not just yet.  As long as what's being argued about is pertaining to a particular political cartoon, it should be okay.  Too many posts dedicated to it however, and I'll have to ask that it be taken to its own thread.

Oh yeah, and "Oi! earth girl! ... Guy!"
I was ringing you up because of the squabble between Spunki and Capt. Jack over who is and isn't a mod, but it seems to have fizzled out. While you're here, care for a cuppa? The kettle's just boiled.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #3352 on: February 18, 2014, 02:09:22 am »
Sounds good to me.  Yeah it can get hot enough here to cause it to boil, I've noticed. ;)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3353 on: February 18, 2014, 03:01:18 am »
Spoiled for size:

(click to show/hide)

That said, they were both right; Orwell was just right for a place where you and I don't live.

The thing is, both approaches are not mutually exclusive. You can both attempt to hide the truth while drowning out what little that manages to slip past the censors with trivialities. Both happen on a regular basis in just about all countries to lesser or greater degrees.

In Orwell's world, though, the whole point is to prove that you can make people enjoy their objective misery in order to demonstrate power over them. The proles are basically controlled as in Brave New World.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3354 on: February 18, 2014, 11:14:15 am »
I say we are in both
We do have bread and circuses and perpetual war.  However the government is not handing out the circuses. 

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3355 on: February 18, 2014, 08:37:45 pm »
I'd argue that you're not helping the situation with your gigantic capitalized text, ironbite.  You're not really a mod either.  Also, I realize that me calling you out on that could almost be considered hypocritical.
You've been here much longer than I have, Jack, so I'd like to ask you a question.  Was Ironbite always an asshole, or is this just a recent development?

No no no.  You misunderstand me.  I'm an angry asshole.

Ironbite-see the new Avatar.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3356 on: February 18, 2014, 09:24:01 pm »

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3357 on: February 18, 2014, 09:42:19 pm »
G.O.P
a  b r