Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 386957 times)

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2970 on: April 18, 2019, 12:29:05 am »
Let's try and be realistic here, not run around like the sky is falling. While I could see new restrictions on abortion coming around, I don't think the GOP will try to outright ban it. Why would they get rid of one of their biggest rallying points? And if they really wanted to get rid of abortion on a national level, why didn't they try before the midterms? They only tried to ban abortions after 20 weeks.

Dynamic Paragon Lana, why does your head always happen to be in the sand?

I said national level. That's just Ohio. If a bill like this gets lots of support in Congress, then you'll be right.
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2971 on: April 18, 2019, 01:21:40 am »
Because you don't need a national bill to do it--not at first, when you don't have the support. Get some state bills through. Get Casey overturned. Pass a bunch of restrictive laws in all the states they still control. Show that the sky didn't fall.

Right now, though, I'm wondering what's next: Coit, Brown or Griswold.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2972 on: April 18, 2019, 07:48:49 am »
Because you don't need a national bill to do it--not at first, when you don't have the support. Get some state bills through. Get Casey overturned. Pass a bunch of restrictive laws in all the states they still control. Show that the sky didn't fall.

Griswold, Obergefell, and Brown, in that order.

Glad Hillary didn’t win and ensure their demise.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2973 on: April 18, 2019, 06:25:02 pm »

Point on Obergefell, though I think it will be targeted before Griswold.

As for Clinton... remember, if Trump left office tomorrow, the US would still be in a situation bad enough that people were willing to elect Donald Trump.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2974 on: April 19, 2019, 01:30:39 am »
So, what's the word on the Mueller report? It's out now so pretty soon we should have people fighting for the right to tell their opinion on it...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #2975 on: April 19, 2019, 01:48:56 am »

Point on Obergefell, though I think it will be targeted before Griswold.

As for Clinton... remember, if Trump left office tomorrow, the US would still be in a situation bad enough that people were willing to elect Donald Trump.

Maybe but the courts wouldn't be packed with far right incompetents.  Hell we might have had a ruling outlawing gerrymandering think of the good that would have done to help the situation.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2976 on: April 19, 2019, 07:28:41 am »
So, what's the word on the Mueller report? It's out now so pretty soon we should have people fighting for the right to tell their opinion on it...

Basically details everything we thought it was gonna detail.  Calls Don Jr. the dumbest criminal ever and Mueller wouldn't charge him with a crime because he'd be too stupid to realize what he did was a crime.

Ironbite-also Congress wants Mueller to testify before June so there's that.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2977 on: April 19, 2019, 11:12:31 am »
"Oh my God, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency.  I'm fucked!"

From what I understand the Trump team wanted to work with Russia and Russia wanted to work with the Trump team, but they didn't and the details get murky in there. There's little evidence that Trump himself was involved with anything,  But it's pretty damning for Manafort, Kushner, Jr., Erik Prince, Cohen and Stone. But since Kushner and Jr. Didnt know they were committing a crime than I guess it's all good. Like if I'm on a road and don't know what the speed limit is and decide to drive a hundred miles an hour and get pulled over. The whole, I didn't know the speed limit officer excuse works everytime.

As for Obstruction he's pretty guilty of it big time. Trump tried to interfere with the investigation many times. He tried to interfere with the Cohen and Manafort prosecutions. Trump tried to order his people to obstruct, but his people refused to follow his orders. Even leading to Mcgahn's resignation. When Mueller was appointed he said the words above, and then told Jeff Sessions that he was supposed to protect him. Mueller was not happy with Trump's written statements to him. But he chose not to indict because the laws are murky on whether a sitting president can be indicted or not.

The democrats have already said they aren't seeking impeachment. Well have to see if more information comes from an unredacted report, if that ever gets released, or when congress subpoenas Mueller himself.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2978 on: April 19, 2019, 12:38:25 pm »
The main issue here is that Mueller believed that he lacks the authority to accuse the president of a crime and that it would be up to the Congress to do so. Therefore he does not directly accuse him of a crime and says that the Congress should decide whether he needs to be prosecuted or not. Barr meanwhile denies this to be the case and claims that Mueller found no evidence of crimes and the Trump-fanboys are trying to make that interpretation go viral while ignoring all the obstruction of justice that was documented.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2979 on: April 19, 2019, 01:15:20 pm »
Yeah, I've already seen Trump fan boys say well there was no Collusion so everything is alright and this whole thing is pointless.  Nevermind that Trump tried to commit crimes to stop it.

I hope this line: "Oh my God, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency.  I'm fucked!"
Will be remembered for the rest of his presidency.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2980 on: April 19, 2019, 03:44:54 pm »
Remember, the other big takeaway from the Mueller investigation is that while he did see all sorts of stuff about other crimes (financial crimes, for instance), he kept his investigation focused narrowly on collusion and related crimes (such as obstruction with respect to his own investigation) and farmed out all that other stuff he found to other prosecutors, such as in the Southern District of New York.

That's the real prize--but even then, it won't end Trump's Presidency, since Trump's TFG base is too big to persuade 20+ Republican Senators that it's worth probably losing a primary to remove him.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2981 on: April 19, 2019, 04:27:47 pm »
At this point I just want Trump to be voted out and for democrats in the campaign to not make it the main message.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2982 on: April 19, 2019, 05:07:09 pm »
They're probably gonna campaign on mainly healthcare as that seems to get people up in arms.

Ironbite-plus getting a clearly incompetent person out of office.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2983 on: April 20, 2019, 04:55:00 pm »
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a27148184/emoluments-clause-trump-justice-department/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app
http://kathleenclark.law/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/2019-02-07-Clark-The-Lawyers-Who-Mistook-A-President-for-their-Client-w-Appendices.pdf

Meanwhile, the US Department of Justice is arguing in court that as long as the President (or anyone else to whom the Emoluments Clause applies) is receiving payments through a business they own--rather than personally--it's not an emolument at all and doesn't require Congressional approval.

Which reverses decades of consistent opinions from them that, in fact, such payments are emoluments.

Remember when Jimmy Carter had to sell his peanut farm?

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2984 on: April 20, 2019, 05:11:22 pm »
I don't know why they bend over backwards to protect this asshole so much.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t