Author Topic: Ask FQA!  (Read 23493 times)

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
Re: Ask FQA!
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2015, 04:11:33 pm »
I downloaded some updates this morning and restarted my computer.  Now text looks weird in certain places, like Microsoft Works and Google Search (it looks normal on these forums though).  It looks kind of like when you try printing something when the printer is just starting to run out of ink.

I tried restarting the computer again, but that didn't fix it.  Does anyone here know what it could be?

I noticed a similar situation.  On my computer, it only seems to have affected stuff rendering in Times New Roman.  The actual font file didn't show any changes, and it looks fine in Word or Internet Explorer, but not in anything else (Wordpad, Notepad, Firefox).'

I've been looking around on Google to see if anything about it pops up.  So far no luck.

Edit:

Did find this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566588/did-new-windows-updates-and-now-my-fonts-look-bad/

"Known issues with this security update

After you install security update 3013455, you may notice some text quality degradation in certain scenarios. The problem only occurs on systems that are running Windows Vista SP2 or Windows Server 2003 SP2. Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available."

Hopefully they fix it with a future patch, because I don't really want to uninstall it and be unpatched against a vulnerability where a website can contain embedded true type fonts that allow remote code execution...

Hi, ditto on the Vista SP2 computer, how do I uninstall the single update KB3013455, it's making me crazy!! Help pretty please!

Start-->Control Panel-->Programs and Features-->View Installed Updates

Search for KB3013455 (search box is top right of window).

Right-click then select Uninstall

Then follow instructions (as I haven't uninstalled it myself yet!)

Haven't tried it yet myself.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:19:53 pm by Dr. Weird »
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2015, 04:31:06 pm »
Yeah, uninstalling that specific update fixes the problem.  Everything looks normal now.

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2015, 07:06:59 pm »
Yeah, uninstalling that specific update fixes the problem.  Everything looks normal now.

Just finished doing the uninstall on my computer.  Worked like a charm.
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2015, 04:48:42 pm »
Maybe this should be in Confessions or Flame and Burn, or maybe it deserves its own thread, but it's still a question and this is the "Ask FQA" thread, so I'm asking it.

Whenever normal people plan an event, they ask their friends to show up at a time/place, and said friends say "Sure!" and show up. At least 10 people usually show up.

When I ask the same thing, only a few people respond, usually with "I have to do this this this and this and I have no time for that." I then have to spend a whole week wrestling with people's schedules to get 4 or 5 people to be there, and invariably only wind up with 3-4 after someone backed out of the event at the last second due to work/school/other schedule-related excuses.

Example: I want to get people to come to an event with me in November. It is late September. I contact 10 different people I know and explain what's going on, giving them plenty of time to schedule things in advance. As the time draws near, everyone says they are very sorry and can't make it because they're busy that weekend. But they hope everyone else I invited has a good time. I go to the event without any of the people I invited and find another person there has brought a friend. I ask how he arranged that. He says "I asked him a few days before the event and he said yes." (Actual example from high school)

I don't know why this is. I have asked many people why this is. The only response I have gotten is "We do things spontaneously. You can't make long-term plans with us because we do everything spontaneously and never actually plan things out." Yet this is bullshit because whenever I take their advice and schedule things spontaneously, they object and say they have planned this this this this and this and my thing interferes with their plans. Plans. That they made. While simultaneously denying they ever make plans.

The only explanation I can think of that would cover everything sounds completely paranoid. It would seem that nobody actually wants to be around me, but they're too polite to just say it. Instead they invent fake schedules to avoid being around me. Whenever I do successfully get a small group together, it is only because I have planned around their bullshit to the point where the only other option for them would be to say they hate me, and because they're too polite to do so, they grudgingly give up and come anyway. This would imply that literally everyone hates me, though, and I really hope that isn't the case.

What is going on here, really?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:55:47 pm by Random Guy »

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2015, 10:29:10 pm »
I think a big part of it is humans being humans, unfortunately. People are unreliable and may either agree to something without thinking about potential schedule conflicts, or they'll agree to it but back out because they suddenly find something better to do and selfishly prioritize. Granted, sometimes work/school/whatever gets in the way and there are legitimate reasons, but in general people suck at planning for future events. People often don't like to say no initially because it can feel good to say yes and be a people-pleaser, frankly. It's also hard to plan something with that many people if they're not close friends, because they often stick to their "main group" as much as possible and ditch anyone else. But again, it can be really hard to plan for something in advance. If someone asked me to go to a concert in May, I have no idea if I'd be able to go. I have no way of knowing if something else will pop up that weekend. So I guess it depends on whether the person answers cautiously ("I'd love to go, but I'm not sure if I'm free...") or freely ("Yeah dude, let's go!"). It really depends on the person.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2015, 06:00:50 pm »
If a device isn't charging, is there any way to tell whether it's the charger or the device that's faulty?  There's a charging light on the device that's supposed to light up as it charges, but it doesn't even do that.  It was like that right out of the box.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2015, 06:18:47 pm »
If a device isn't charging, is there any way to tell whether it's the charger or the device that's faulty?  There's a charging light on the device that's supposed to light up as it charges, but it doesn't even do that.  It was like that right out of the box.

The only way I know of is to test it with other chargers & devices.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2015, 06:24:07 pm »
You can also just leave it plugged up overnight, or see if there is a protective clear plastic cover over a contact point or in a mini-plug socket.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2015, 02:09:39 pm »
So, I found a box of old adapters and plugged into the device; it turns out it is the adapter that's faulty, not the device.  The only problem is that the only adapter that worked on it had a 9V output; the device needs a 3.0V.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2015, 08:53:48 pm »
Is anybody else's youtube viewing history getting randomly deleted lately?

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2015, 12:06:50 pm »
I live in the US. In other countries, do you guys have a ton of stores that are open on Sundays? What about stores open on holidays? Here, both of those things have mostly become the norm, barring a select few places.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Even Then

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2015, 12:50:59 pm »
Almost every grocery store's open on Sundays up here.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2015, 10:01:29 pm »
I have a question to ask.  This is new.  Okay, do any of you guys have Dropbox installed as an actual program on a Windows machine?  If so, is there any way to stop it from periodically asking for permission to run?  The blinking icon is starting to drive me insane with rage.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2015, 10:46:27 pm »
I have Dropbox on Windows, but I haven't experienced that issue.
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2015, 07:52:01 am »
I think it might be because I, like a moron, installed it to Program Files.  Apparently, so much as sneezing at that folder requires admin permissions.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.