Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1512810 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2085 on: March 25, 2013, 10:49:39 pm »
Though, unless you want to spend your whole time playing as a zombie, I wouldn't recommend Dark Souls for those who don't fancy PvP.  Because, not only is there PvP, but it is, from what I've gathered, completely non-consensual.  If somebody invades your world, prepare to defend yourself, or promptly shut off your 360.

One game I can definitely recommend for 360, though, is Red Faction: Guerrilla.  Yeah, the story is a bit of an excuse to blow shit the fuck up, but that's always been Red Faction's main draw, and Guerrilla does it better than any other game in the series.  Armageddon, in comparison, was quite disappointing.

(click to show/hide)

I'm playing through Armageddon right now after having beaten Guerrilla and been playing it at various times for a few years now. I think the sequel could have struck a balance between a 100% linear story-driven game and a sandbox with an excuse plot if they tried. Make it an open world with a mix of missions that are linear and more open; one has you tearing through an underground market in a suit of power armor in a level that's totally linear but provides a lot of scripted cinematic moments, then another has you being given a general "Blow this up" objective and being able to choose how you do it.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2086 on: March 26, 2013, 12:14:58 am »
No to market the game EA had contests based on the sins and the lust one was well titivate us.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2087 on: March 26, 2013, 12:31:23 am »
No to market the game EA had contests based on the sins and the lust one was well titivate us.

Is this what you're talking about?

http://kotaku.com/5322781/ea-apologizes-for-sin-to-win-booth-babe-promo

But Electronic Arts, being the big corp it is, had to cover its ass and (likely) kick that of a marketing team that promised horny gamers "a sinful night with two hot girls, a limo service, paparazzi and a chest full of booty." This was also illustrated by a tramp-stamp logo atop some kind of crack, be it butt or boobs. UPDATE: They are boobs. Thank you observant and helpful Kotaku commenters.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2088 on: March 26, 2013, 01:18:13 am »
I kinda want to know the details on that prize, because they're pretty heavily implying that they'll implicate winners in a prostitution scandal.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2089 on: March 26, 2013, 01:21:54 am »
I kinda want to know the details on that prize, because they're pretty heavily implying that they'll implicate winners in a prostitution scandal.
I think it's just a night on the town with some arm candy. Any sexual activity on their part would be going above and beyond the call of duty.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2090 on: March 26, 2013, 02:19:20 am »
I think it's just a night on the town with some arm candy. Any sexual activity on their part would be going above and beyond the call of duty.

On the other hand, it would really fit EA's image to do something morally reprehensible in the name of profit. The Origin client and how it works (as well as the entire reason for its existence) also seems to imply that they don't really understand human behavior or business, so they might find prostitution perfectly normal and fine for a marketing campaign.

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #2091 on: March 26, 2013, 02:29:39 am »
started to play BioShock Infinite.   So far i love it.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2092 on: March 26, 2013, 02:36:40 am »
On the other hand, it would really fit EA's image to do something morally reprehensible in the name of profit.
Something blatantly illegal? With the entire legal department they undoubtedly have? Nah, that's not their style. They prefer to use the law to their advantage. Screw developers out of profits and control over their own games, hand further development over to a sub-par studio and in the process run both the franchise and the original dev into the ground. Then, of course, fucking their consumers with shitty DRM that only works while EA feels like paying for the relevant servers.

Isn't it just beautiful that EA can turn a healthy profit while good publishers like THQ go bankrupt?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2093 on: March 26, 2013, 03:03:03 am »
So Bioshock Infinite....2 hours in and 3 Vigors drank, I'm really feeling it.

Ironbite-weapon selection's nice and damn I do not miss plasmids at all.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #2094 on: March 26, 2013, 06:58:48 am »
Was just walking down memory lane on some Graal Online, it really is terrible that it's basically dead on PC. Classic server was being redeveloped and looking great, find out yesterday it was discontinued last month.  Whole system being weighed down with limitations on what "trial" members can do that don't really exist in the iphone version of Graal.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:20:01 am by syaoranvee »

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2095 on: March 26, 2013, 07:38:51 am »
Playing System Shock 2. Was going really great until I dropped into some water in Hydroponics and there's apparently no way to climb out. And I saved down there.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2096 on: March 26, 2013, 08:05:21 am »
I have no idea why EA thought that was a good idea.
On that note you know how EA and everyone says that their adult games are marketed towards adults, then explain this <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKkPFDEiC6Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKkPFDEiC6Q</a>

Saturn500

« Reply #2097 on: March 26, 2013, 08:11:28 am »
Well, what would you call it? Other than action rpg.

The best fuckin' action-rpg ever?

Potentially this, yes.

HERESY! DARK SOULS IS A MERE PEASANT OF AN ACTION-RPG COMPARED TO YS, THE GRANDFATHER AND GREATEST OF THEM ALL!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2098 on: March 26, 2013, 08:20:17 am »
Playing System Shock 2. Was going really great until I dropped into some water in Hydroponics and there's apparently no way to climb out. And I saved down there.

You know if you hold down space you can mantle up stuff right?

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2099 on: March 26, 2013, 01:46:35 pm »
Though, unless you want to spend your whole time playing as a zombie, I wouldn't recommend Dark Souls for those who don't fancy PvP.  Because, not only is there PvP, but it is, from what I've gathered, completely non-consensual.  If somebody invades your world, prepare to defend yourself, or promptly shut off your 360.

One game I can definitely recommend for 360, though, is Red Faction: Guerrilla.  Yeah, the story is a bit of an excuse to blow shit the fuck up, but that's always been Red Faction's main draw, and Guerrilla does it better than any other game in the series.  Armageddon, in comparison, was quite disappointing.

(click to show/hide)

I never had that problem. And you can play offline, anyways.

I get Bioshock Infinite today. I never managed to get to puzzle 59 cause I didn't do very well in the pre-game.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!