Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548061 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #1035 on: August 21, 2013, 03:21:32 pm »

What is with thin privilege and showers/tubs? I'm pretty sure this is a huge warning sign when you can't fit in a tub/shower.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #1036 on: August 21, 2013, 03:41:28 pm »
The whole "thin privilege/fat discrimination thing" (weight-ism?) is stupid and not comparable to, say, racism or homophobia, because unlike your race/ethnicity and sexual orientation, you can actually do something about your body weight. All I hear when I read SJWs whining about "fat discrimination" is "I'm significantly overweight, and I don't give enough of a shit about my health and/or am too lazy to actually be bothered to do anything about it, so I'll just sit here and bitch about how it's totally everyone else's fault instead."

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1037 on: August 21, 2013, 04:38:23 pm »
Well, not everyone can. Sometimes you put on weight for various reasons that you can't fix right away (stress, medication). But there comes a point where people are calling something discriminating when it's in fact a bit of a sign that maybe you should be talking to a doctor about the issue rather than demanding the world to change to fit your weight that is obviously more than just a little too much.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #1038 on: August 21, 2013, 05:52:48 pm »
The whole "thin privilege/fat discrimination thing" (weight-ism?) is stupid and not comparable to, say, racism or homophobia, because unlike your race/ethnicity and sexual orientation, you can actually do something about your body weight. All I hear when I read SJWs whining about "fat discrimination" is "I'm significantly overweight, and I don't give enough of a shit about my health and/or am too lazy to actually be bothered to do anything about it, so I'll just sit here and bitch about how it's totally everyone else's fault instead."

Not really relevant. Barring the fact that losing weight isn't exactly trivial for everyone, the fact that you can do something about it doesn't mean it's OK to discriminate on it. If ex-gay therapy worked, homophobia would still be every bit as unjustified as it is right now.

Which isn't to say there isn't a lot of bullshit whining about thin privilege or whatever. Of course there is. Fat discrimination isn't the same as racism (though it's still a real thing and it's still bad), but not because of the mutability of the condition.
Σא

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #1039 on: August 21, 2013, 07:01:23 pm »

Not really relevant. Barring the fact that losing weight isn't exactly trivial for everyone, the fact that you can do something about it doesn't mean it's OK to discriminate on it. If ex-gay therapy worked, homophobia would still be every bit as unjustified as it is right now.

Which isn't to say there isn't a lot of bullshit whining about thin privilege or whatever. Of course there is. Fat discrimination isn't the same as racism (though it's still a real thing and it's still bad), but not because of the mutability of the condition.

Fair enough. And I wasn't trying to condone prejudice against overweight people or say that it's ever justified . If you discriminate against someone based on their weight, that makes you an asshole. I meant to say that I don't think the problem these people face is comparable to other more conventional prejudices because, in most cases, the trait upon which they're being discriminated against isn't a fixed quality. Again, I'm not trying to condone prejudice. Prejudice is prejudice, no matter what trait it's based on, and it's deplorable. But the situation these people find themselves in isn't quite the same as victims of racism or homophobia because, in most cases, they have a chance to escape it.

I apologize for the poor wording of my previous post. Also, I suppose I should have specified that I had these SJW types in mind when I posted last, the ones who demand the world change to accommodate their unusual situations and then throw tantrums when it doesn't.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #1040 on: August 21, 2013, 07:25:03 pm »
Regarding the larger bathtub costing more -- um, duh. If it's larger, it required more materials and labor in general, and thus requires a higher price. Freakin' logic.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #1041 on: August 21, 2013, 07:38:04 pm »

Uh-huh.

CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE CHECKING PRIVILEGE!
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1042 on: August 21, 2013, 07:40:37 pm »
Also, showers and bathtubs aren't exactly tiny. Taft may have gotten stuck in a bathtub, but people in general were smaller a century ago; I've seen their bathtubs myself. It takes an absolute monster of a person today to not fit in a tub. Someone who can't fit in a shower......how did they even get into the bathroom?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #1043 on: August 21, 2013, 07:57:13 pm »

What is with thin privilege and showers/tubs? I'm pretty sure this is a huge warning sign when you can't fit in a tub/shower.

She's complaining about having to remodel a "master bathroom" in her "vacation home"? sounds like somebody got some wealthy privilege.

EDIT: fixed typo, putting a bathtub in a master bedroom would be pretty silly, indeed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:15:24 pm by Dakota Bob »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1044 on: August 21, 2013, 08:00:50 pm »
Oddly, that's actually one of the few cases where "check your privilege" can actually be used non-ironically and without guilt.

Actually, most of the people crying 'check your privilege' probably need to spend more time checking theirs.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1045 on: August 21, 2013, 08:04:30 pm »
Not master bedroom. Master BATHROOM.

I don't think "thousands" are a budgetary issue for her. She's already lost her dignity by complaining that she's so unhealthily obese that she needs to spend extra money remodeling her vacation home.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #1046 on: August 21, 2013, 10:43:35 pm »

"Thin privilege is not having to spend extra money on buying a bathtub you’ll fit in."

I had no idea president Taft could blog from beyond the grave.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #1047 on: August 22, 2013, 12:14:43 am »
Nothing - not even the angel of death - can stop a SJW from rambling and whining on tumblr.

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #1048 on: August 22, 2013, 01:37:09 am »
Yeah, he's Tumbling in his grave.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #1049 on: August 22, 2013, 02:53:46 am »
I think it is relevant. It is my understanding that a privilege is something that is unearned. Someone is not being an inconsiderate asshole just because they've watched their metabolism, & as a result, they can fit in their fucking bathtubs.

I'm not saying that just anyone can lose weight like nothing, or that fat discrimination does not exist, but I still don't believe there's any such thing as "thin privilege," & if there is, it's definitely not any of this "I have to pay extra/can't fit stuff." This always seems to come down to logistical reasoning, like more difficult things cost more to do, & that at certain points, we can't feasibly design things that accommodate people of a certain size.

It's also significantly more complicated than "fat people are oppressed," because if you say that weight should never be a concern, that's basically an outright lie. You have to balance the idea of body acceptance with the idea of proper weight management, & that's not easy to do. Also, unlike white privilege, or Christian privilege, or male privilege, you can be fucked sideways by being thin, too.