Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1547391 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #1050 on: August 22, 2013, 03:31:25 am »
If you've reached the point where you can't actually fit in a regular bathtub or shower, you've gone past being able to say "I have trouble losing weight due to my metabolism." This is now a serious medical problem and you're in desperate need of professional assistance.

That's when you should probably stop talking about thin privilege and start looking for a doctor.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #1051 on: August 22, 2013, 06:03:45 am »
If you've reached the point where you can't actually fit in a regular bathtub or shower, you've gone past being able to say "I have trouble losing weight due to my metabolism." This is now a serious medical problem and you're in desperate need of professional assistance.

That's when you should probably stop talking about thin privilege and start looking for a doctor.

I agree, my mom as she got older actually developed one of those thyroid problems that cause physical problems with loosing weight, and she never reached a stage where she didn't fit into anything. She just found that after much effort in loosing weight, nothing was happening and then spoke to a doctor and found the problem, which has since been resolved.

She is still fat, but not for any medical reason anymore. she just chooses to be her current weight. When you are 65 I think you are allowed to not give a damn about your weight and body image.

The whole Metabolic reason why people are fat is just a pathetic excuse. If you have the time to complain about thin privilege, you have the time to do something about being monstrously obese. If you really do have a medical condition see a doctor, get it treated and then deal with being monstrously obese. There really is no excuse. If you are fat, and you are happy being fat, good for you, but you have to accept that it comes with its own set of consequences that you are ultimately responsible for. Not some made up thin privilege.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1052 on: August 22, 2013, 08:35:56 am »
Overweight folks are looked down on in most Western societies; seen as lazy, stupid, and likely greedy.  Is it as bad as being thought of as a thief because you're black or a shit-eater because you're gay?  No.  Doesn't mean it doesn't still suck like a two dollar whore.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #1053 on: August 22, 2013, 09:50:50 am »

I agree, my mom as she got older actually developed one of those thyroid problems that cause physical problems with loosing weight, and she never reached a stage where she didn't fit into anything. She just found that after much effort in loosing weight, nothing was happening and then spoke to a doctor and found the problem, which has since been resolved.

She is still fat, but not for any medical reason anymore. she just chooses to be her current weight. When you are 65 I think you are allowed to not give a damn about your weight and body image.

The whole Metabolic reason why people are fat is just a pathetic excuse. If you have the time to complain about thin privilege, you have the time to do something about being monstrously obese. If you really do have a medical condition see a doctor, get it treated and then deal with being monstrously obese. There really is no excuse. If you are fat, and you are happy being fat, good for you, but you have to accept that it comes with its own set of consequences that you are ultimately responsible for. Not some made up thin privilege.

If a person is in a wheelchair or has other problems with mobility, then there's little they can do when it comes to exercise. That limits their ability to burn extra calories and lose weight, and it's rather unfair to say that they're as responsible for it as someone who's simply lazy.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #1054 on: August 22, 2013, 09:53:26 am »
I always feel bad for people in that situation, especially because a lot of people assume that they're no longer mobile because of their weight.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1055 on: August 22, 2013, 02:49:24 pm »
I always feel bad for people in that situation, especially because a lot of people assume that they're no longer mobile because of their weight.

Actually, it seems like most people assume they're no longer mobile because they're lazy and don't want to walk.

Yeah, try carrying something that weighs 400 pounds strapped to your stomach and let's see how well you walk from place to place :/

For the record, I'm basically trying to stop forming an opinion any time I see someone in a wheelchair or in a motorcart.

More so now when Mom ended up having a heart problem that made it so that if she did TOO much work all at once, she could easily DIE, so for a period of time she needed a handicapped tag and needed to use the motorcart sometimes.

Nobody said anything, but we were both constantly paranoid about people staring at her and judging her because, well, she and I happen to be fat.

In case you're wondering, now that she's had some surgery done, she's feeling a LOT better lately.  Still suffering from depression, though.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:51:16 pm by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #1056 on: August 22, 2013, 03:55:10 pm »
I think it is relevant. It is my understanding that a privilege is something that is unearned. Someone is not being an inconsiderate asshole just because they've watched their metabolism, & as a result, they can fit in their fucking bathtubs.

I'm not saying that just anyone can lose weight like nothing, or that fat discrimination does not exist, but I still don't believe there's any such thing as "thin privilege," & if there is, it's definitely not any of this "I have to pay extra/can't fit stuff." This always seems to come down to logistical reasoning, like more difficult things cost more to do, & that at certain points, we can't feasibly design things that accommodate people of a certain size.

Being able to fit a standard-sized bathtub is not thin privilege, on that much I agree. But I'd still argue that it's a real thing.

You say that discrimination against fat people exists. By virtue of that fact alone, not experiencing that discrimination is thin privilege, i.e. an unfair societal advantage thin people have over fat people because they are thin.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:58:32 pm by Sigmaleph »
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1057 on: August 22, 2013, 05:27:39 pm »
From what I understand, privilege (by itself) is a thing that can, indeed be earned.

You have earned the privilege to attend such and such.

I have earned the privilege to eat such and such.

Etc.

Certain forms of privilege (white privilege, cismale privilege, straight privilege) cannot be earned.  In the case of straight privilege, however, it can be bluffed (the practical difference being negligible).  I'm a white cismale who is gay, but most people by the nature of the matter assume that I am a white cismale who is straight.

On the other hand, if I started talking with a lisp, exaggerating my hand movements all of the time, and started going GUUUUURRRLLLL I'd probably lose my straight privilege.  .... But so would a straight man who does that.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:30:05 pm by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #1058 on: August 22, 2013, 05:36:35 pm »
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1059 on: August 22, 2013, 08:29:00 pm »
"Not found"

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #1060 on: August 22, 2013, 08:32:24 pm »
Being able to fit a standard-sized bathtub is not thin privilege, on that much I agree. But I'd still argue that it's a real thing.

You say that discrimination against fat people exists. By virtue of that fact alone, not experiencing that discrimination is thin privilege, i.e. an unfair societal advantage thin people have over fat people because they are thin.

But I also said that you can be discriminated against for being thin, just as easily as you can for being fat. By that token, can you have "fat privilege"? You can see how this quickly starts sounding like a Tumblr "Check your privilege!"/"No, you check YOUR privilege!" thing.

To me, it makes more sense that both are connected to body policing, which doesn't necessarily have an associated "privilege," because everyone has bodies.

You have earned the privilege to attend such and such.

I have earned the privilege to eat such and such.

Different type of privilege.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #1061 on: August 22, 2013, 09:32:31 pm »

But I also said that you can be discriminated against for being thin, just as easily as you can for being fat. By that token, can you have "fat privilege"? You can see how this quickly starts sounding like a Tumblr "Check your privilege!"/"No, you check YOUR privilege!" thing.

To me, it makes more sense that both are connected to body policing, which doesn't necessarily have an associated "privilege," because everyone has bodies.

I guess, but fat discrimination is far more common than thin discrimination. Or at least so it seems, haven't really done any research on the subject.
Σא

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #1062 on: August 22, 2013, 10:29:41 pm »
Eh. I used to be quite skinny and I'm still on the thinner side of average. While I've had the odd person make dumb comments like "Eat a sandwich", especially after I lost a ton of weight thanks to contracting a nasty stomach bug a few years back, I definitely haven't experienced anywhere near as much crap as overweight and obese people seem to get. Granted, I'm just one data point, but I have a hard time believing that I'm an exception to wide-spread thin discrimination.

That being said, there is a ton of hypocrisy in body acceptance movements. Comments about real women having curves and not wanting just "bones for dinner" only serve to reinforce the idea that all people should conform to a limited range of body types in order to be acceptable, which is really the root of the problem.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #1063 on: August 23, 2013, 01:58:07 am »
I don't actually know either, I'm just stating things as I seen it. Something I might arguably consider thin privilege is when someone says, "Just lose weight," not realizing that it's not that easy for some people. But that's more like...metabolic privilege.

So, yeah. It can be argued, but at the moment, I'm just not convinced that it's a meaningful term.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1064 on: August 23, 2013, 06:32:54 am »
At this point it's mostly semantics.

As for body types... well, there's fat, there's "thin", then there's anorexic.

...Hm.  What should we use instead of "thin", then?

As far as "thin privilege" goes, I'm "eh" about it.  It doesn't seem to be so much privilege as it is "absence of being targeted by arrogant assholes who justify their insults, taunting, mockery, and bullying under the guise of 'it's a health concern, we're just trying to help.'"

Except not even because I've seen people who qualify as "thin" get mocked for being fat.