Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1547886 times)

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #1155 on: September 01, 2013, 05:42:47 pm »
How on earth does one "think they're blind?" I'm pretty sure if you can see, you're not blind. Or do you just go everywhere with you're eyes closed?

There is a mental disorder that makes people believe that they're blind, I think. I doubt this person has it though, since I doubt you could just 'bury' a mental disorder.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #1156 on: September 01, 2013, 06:38:46 pm »
^^There's a thing called blindsight, where people who have some kind of damage to the occipital cortex can't consciously see, but can actually respond to visual stimuli if forced to guess, with results much better than chance.

Interestingly enough, similar kinds of brain damage can result in Anton-Babinski syndrome, which is the exact opposite: people who can't see, but are not consciously aware of it and will firmly deny being blind.

This has very little to do with being transabled, just a bit of fascinating neuro trivia.
Σא

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #1158 on: September 02, 2013, 04:34:34 am »
*so totally snipped*
I'm pretty sure the problem is when you don't just call to attention someone's personality, but also what they are. That's the problem. You can call someone a bigot without bringing in their ethnicity or religion or genitals.

Also what you described isn't a trigger in the sense that it is usually used and with which people are referring when they say they're triggered. What you described is what is experienced by a good portion of the population to the point where calling yourself triggered loses just as much meaning as someone saying they were triggered by the oak tree outside.

i find that it drives the point home to make a distinction: a girl who's an ass is making girls look bad, same a a christian bigot makes normal christians look bad, both by association. ie, it's not racist/misogynist/what have you-ist, but it's to add the sting that you represent more than just yourself. by that, i mean that in this day and age, a buffoon has way more publicity than a run-of-the-mill citizen due to the advent of the web 2.0 and 3.0 (social media, even fstdt, in a way), and so the vocal minority paints the silent majority in the with the same brush. today, stereotypes are created by lone individuals. one look through the "worst of social justice" thread is enough for me to say that political correctness has gone mad, even after i read the "best of" thread. it took me a while to remember that for every bigot posted on fstdt, there was perhaps 50 regular devout people trying to have a nice day without ruining someone else's. i try to keep in mind to always be the best i possibly can be, because i'm a long-haired white male, as well as a metalhead. as part of a stigmatized counter-culture, i'll behave the most agreably possible to fight the damage to our respectability done by the likes of varg vikernes, or other ignoble persons whose acts speak volumes, yet paint us all with the same brush because apparently "metal=OMG satanist!" even in 2013. my actions make the rest of my peers look good or bad. i fight idiocy and bigotry one good deed at a time.

regarding triggers i'd be interested to know of your definition, because from what i gleaned in a psychology seminar on ptsd (my condition), triggers could send you into a state of rage, despair, panic, or terror. ye olde wikipedia barely outlines what a trigger is, let alone the manifestations, so could you please help me out? i'd appreciate it  :) but yeah, really wasn't trying to offend.

hell, for all you know, that oak tree is a trigger for that kid whose dad hung himself from an oak tree... triggers can be anything and everything, apparently
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1159 on: September 02, 2013, 10:31:10 am »
Yes but by doing that you're making it seem like there's a box that people have to fit into to be a proper example of so-and-so which is what people have a problem with. It's like saying that a woman who goes out and drinks and plays pool and maybe gets into a fight with someone is a bad example of a woman because she doesn't fit into the proper lady box you laid out. Than again, I am speaking in a thread where people have allowed the image of the SJW to be placed over the overall image of tumblr and SJAs.

And as for triggers, it's really not something that is the same for everyone but what you described isn't exactly what people mean when they say they were triggered. Not everyone who is triggered has PTSD, diagnosed or otherwise. The trigger of going into a rage is something that is a bit too general. Because a lot of people are triggered like that (like I said). Generally a trigger has to be something that causes your world to come to a standstill. You're usually brought back to the point where you gained the trigger. For me, whenever something gets a bit too specific about abuse or rape, I generally find my whole world turning grey, I end up just kind of staring at nothing, and my mind is hard to get to from the outside. I zone out and I ignore everything and I find myself once again feeling guilty like I deserved what happened, like I deserved to have someone make light of the situation, like I deserved to be reminded once again about what happened.

But, eh, I'm not an expert. Never claimed to be. You just tended to describe something that was rather general to most of the population. Lots of people fly into rages. It doesn't necessarily have to be triggered like the general sense of the word as described above. I will admit perhaps there was a mistake somewhere along the line but I can say that most people when they say they were triggered they weren't flying into a rage exactly. The anger usually comes after when they weren't given proper warning.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:40:48 am by Booker DeWitt »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #1160 on: September 02, 2013, 12:35:05 pm »
Yes but by doing that you're making it seem like there's a box that people have to fit into to be a proper example of so-and-so which is what people have a problem with. It's like saying that a woman who goes out and drinks and plays pool and maybe gets into a fight with someone is a bad example of a woman because she doesn't fit into the proper lady box you laid out. Than again, I am speaking in a thread where people have allowed the image of the SJW to be placed over the overall image of tumblr and SJAs.

And as for triggers, it's really not something that is the same for everyone but what you described isn't exactly what people mean when they say they were triggered. Not everyone who is triggered has PTSD, diagnosed or otherwise. The trigger of going into a rage is something that is a bit too general. Because a lot of people are triggered like that (like I said). Generally a trigger has to be something that causes your world to come to a standstill. You're usually brought back to the point where you gained the trigger. For me, whenever something gets a bit too specific about abuse or rape, I generally find my whole world turning grey, I end up just kind of staring at nothing, and my mind is hard to get to from the outside. I zone out and I ignore everything and I find myself once again feeling guilty like I deserved what happened, like I deserved to have someone make light of the situation, like I deserved to be reminded once again about what happened.

But, eh, I'm not an expert. Never claimed to be. You just tended to describe something that was rather general to most of the population. Lots of people fly into rages. It doesn't necessarily have to be triggered like the general sense of the word as described above. I will admit perhaps there was a mistake somewhere along the line but I can say that most people when they say they were triggered they weren't flying into a rage exactly. The anger usually comes after when they weren't given proper warning.

as you said, everyone has a different reaction, yours it seems is guilt, whereas mine is near-uncontrollable rage and self-loathing. perhaps i should've described it better, but oh well. at least we're a bit clearer now.

far from me to try and make everyone fit into a box, and once again i should definitely have better explained what i meant. disreputable conduct is what i don't want. i see a girl playing pool or drinking, no problem. if she's picking fights, not cool, i'll try to shame them for their antisocial conduct. i see someone differing from the norm yet being perfectly fine in society, no problem for me. that's the difference, right there.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #1161 on: September 02, 2013, 10:39:00 pm »
This is so fucking stupid. Someone got paid to write an article as to why discribing food as "like crack" is a horrible, horrible thing.

Well, I do hear people all the time exclaiming that X is addictive or that they're addicted to X, and a lot of these people have no idea what an addiction actually is. Some people use the "addiction" metaphor to excuse themselves from behaviors that are in reality entirely under their control - like checking text messages when other people are talking to them, which is a social skills problem and not an addiction problem. Oftentimes these same people don't understand why legitimately addictive behaviors and drugs are so hard to quit, such as in the case of the bias against cigarette smokers.
While some actions may have a psychological addiction, texting included, it's rather rare, and is not a good excuse. That said, the article is not decrying using it to get around being called out and never insinuates that it causes them not to understand addiction, but that them not understanding addiction causes them to use it. What the article mainly says is that it is classist to use "like crack" at all, specifically focusing on that phrase, because crack is a low-class drug. Most people are using it in a joking manner, and if you asked them if they thought crack addiction was a serious issue, their answers would range between "Yes" to "No shit", depending on how much tolerance they have for stupid questions. I personally use "like crack" and say I am "addicted to" Monster energy drinks. While I understand there is a craving for those chemicals due to how much I drink the damn things, I also understand that it's something I can stop at any time, and it certainly isn't comparable to crack. The same goes for Nutella and chocolate in general. I've joked that they mix crack into both, because there's no damn way they're that addicting naturally. I don't seriously mean it. It is a joke. Someone got paid to write a long article about a joke that is so far from serious it's absurd. That, in fact, is the joke itself. The absurdity. So, while people who use "addicted" as an excuse for stuff like texting and sex are dicks, it has little to do with the article or usage of "like crack".

I accidentally posted it in the wrong thread
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #1162 on: September 03, 2013, 11:12:02 pm »
There isn't enough PETA bashing here. Context: PETA is ever so mad about the National Buffalo Wing Festival not banning themselves last year so now they're lying about the dangerous health effects of eating chicken.

Dear Mr. Cerza: You may remember hearing from us a few years back, when we requested that you cancel the wing-eating competitions at the National Buffalo Wing Festival because of the cruelty inherent in poultry production. I'm reaching out again to ask you at least to take steps to ensure the safety of pregnant women by barring them from taking part in your contests. As I will explain, consuming poultry while pregnant may lead to birth defects in utero, including smaller-than-average penises for newborn boys. I think we can agree that embarrassment and insecurity are no small matters.

Findings published by the Study for Future Families showed that eating poultry during pregnancy may lead to smaller penis size in male infants. Looking at dairy products, eggs, fish, fruit, bird meat, potatoes, tomatoes, vegetables, and red meat, researchers found the most significant link between chicken consumption and decreased penis size because of a chemical compound found in the meat. Furthermore, evidence indicates that heterosexual women's sexual satisfaction depends in part on their partner's penis size. Now that you are well endowed with this information, I hope you will have the backs of future Buffalo residents and visitors by not allowing their pregnant mothers to participate in the wing-eating contest. I hope to hear from you soon.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

wrightway

« Reply #1163 on: September 03, 2013, 11:14:27 pm »
Idiots. Chicken is one of the healthiest meats you can eat while pregnant. At least get the meat by products right. It's hotdogs that have a tenuous link to heart deformities because of a chemical used during the preservation process.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #1164 on: September 03, 2013, 11:24:27 pm »
There isn't enough PETA bashing here. Context: PETA is ever so mad about the National Buffalo Wing Festival not banning themselves last year so now they're lying about the dangerous health effects of eating chicken.

Dear Mr. Cerza: You may remember hearing from us a few years back, when we requested that you cancel the wing-eating competitions at the National Buffalo Wing Festival because of the cruelty inherent in poultry production. I'm reaching out again to ask you at least to take steps to ensure the safety of pregnant women by barring them from taking part in your contests. As I will explain, consuming poultry while pregnant may lead to birth defects in utero, including smaller-than-average penises for newborn boys. I think we can agree that embarrassment and insecurity are no small matters.

Findings published by the Study for Future Families showed that eating poultry during pregnancy may lead to smaller penis size in male infants. Looking at dairy products, eggs, fish, fruit, bird meat, potatoes, tomatoes, vegetables, and red meat, researchers found the most significant link between chicken consumption and decreased penis size because of a chemical compound found in the meat. Furthermore, evidence indicates that heterosexual women's sexual satisfaction depends in part on their partner's penis size. Now that you are well endowed with this information, I hope you will have the backs of future Buffalo residents and visitors by not allowing their pregnant mothers to participate in the wing-eating contest. I hope to hear from you soon.

I Googled to see if I could find a single study, even a flawed on, to support their claim, and literally the only things I can find (going back ten pages) are a bunch of news articles, blog entries and forum threads about the letter you quoted.

Part of me hopes that a PETA organizer came across an article about hens farmed for eggs producing smaller male offspring or something along those lines, and somehow a message was passed along reading "Eating poultry = smaller cocks".
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:27:14 pm by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #1165 on: September 03, 2013, 11:31:30 pm »
Well, you will get smaller cocks though. If the bird is still growing while you're eating it, something is very very wrong. :P
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #1166 on: September 04, 2013, 12:56:23 am »
PETA reminds me so much of an anti-abortion organization. And like an anti-abortion organization, I feel like they pull shit out of their asses for the sake of fear-mongering and appeal to emotion.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #1167 on: September 04, 2013, 05:53:17 am »
So I came across a Tumblr blog called thiscouldbetriggering.tumblr.com.

In it, almost everything seems to be a trigger. These people would definitely be fun for me to, ah, tease.

Including Altered Reality.

Yeah, sounds like they'd be fun for me.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #1168 on: September 04, 2013, 12:53:00 pm »
I think it's funny how PETA instead of at least trying to be professional with their (albeit flawed) info, just rely on a man's perceived fixation with his dick.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1169 on: September 04, 2013, 01:36:45 pm »
Well men are usually rather ...shall we say attached... to their dicks.

But yeah, PETA is usually rather counterproductive in their causes.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!