Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548887 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #1260 on: September 11, 2013, 01:17:57 am »
And people who believe in reincarnation have been in their previous lifes celebreties like Cleopatra, Caesar, JFK, Abraham Lincoln or Robin Hood.

No one comes out and says that his/her previous lives were some slaves who were in shit-bucket duty or some poor peasants kid who died of Polio before hitting puberty.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #1261 on: September 11, 2013, 01:52:37 am »
And people who believe in reincarnation have been in their previous lifes celebreties like Cleopatra, Caesar, JFK, Abraham Lincoln or Robin Hood.

No one comes out and says that his/her previous lives were some slaves who were in shit-bucket duty or some poor peasants kid who died of Polio before hitting puberty.

Rimmer:  All my life the military, the clothes, the lifestyle it all seemed so familiar. One day I saw a psychic who took me through my past lives and it all made sense.

You see, in a past life, I was Alexander the Great's...chief eunuch.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1262 on: September 11, 2013, 08:48:56 am »
HA.  Even then, many times, eunuchs were considered pretty high on the totem pole, if I remember correctly.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #1263 on: September 11, 2013, 09:03:12 am »
HA.  Even then, many times, eunuchs were considered pretty high on the totem pole, if I remember correctly.

They were apparently both valued and pitied. And in some cases treated as entirely disposable.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1264 on: September 11, 2013, 02:29:46 pm »
Considering that Alexander the Great was known for his good looks (and his male lovers) I have to say I wouldn't mind being the reincarnation of one of them.

That being said, I do believe in the possibility of reincarnation (boy that feels like weasels) but I don't know who I might be a reincarnation of.  Probably just some Joe Schmoe.  Or a Shane Dane.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #1265 on: September 11, 2013, 02:41:02 pm »
I think reincarnation is more likely than there being an afterlife like heaven or hell, but I don't really see how it's any better than just being dead.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1266 on: September 11, 2013, 02:47:24 pm »
Considering that Alexander the Great was known for his good looks (and his male lovers) I have to say I wouldn't mind being the reincarnation of one of them.

That being said, I do believe in the possibility of reincarnation (boy that feels like weasels) but I don't know who I might be a reincarnation of.  Probably just some Joe Schmoe.  Or a Shane Dane.

Excuse you. :P

Nah, but see I have some pretty powerful feelings about reincarnation. I doubt I was some bigwig in real life considering a lot of my flashes deal with regular ol' nurse stuff. And then there's a knight I have no idea of the name of which you think I would cause 'oooh knight' but nah. Probably just a low-level knight with very little land and his name is lost in the sea of records.

With that said, you want to find something offensive and you're trans then yeah, look at transethnics and shit.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #1267 on: September 11, 2013, 06:13:03 pm »

It's worth noting that, even assuming reincarnation happens, there are non-trivial odds that you aren't the reincarnation of anyone. Depends on how exactly you think it works, but population growth means that it's likely some souls nowadays had no prior body, or no prior human body at the very least.

There are quite a few more dead people than living people, so you could postulate that we do in fact have enough dead people for each person living today to have had a few past lives. If, for example, reincarnation only started happening after ~7 billion people died (cumulative), and those souls have been used and reused over time, each person alive today would have quite a few past lives (around 15, according to one estimate I found of roughly 108 billion total people ever). Of course, in a few years we'll need to start adding new souls to the mix, because population will continue to grow past those 7 billion.

But there's no particular reason to assume that the fundamental mechanisms of reincarnation chose 7 billion as 'the number of souls to be cycled until they are insufficient, then we start introducing new ones'. It would make more sense for reincarnation to have been happening throughout the existence of humans,  and new souls to be added all the time as needed. So when there were only a couple million people on Earth, there  were a couple million souls, that then got reused a generation later, and so on. We should then expect a proportionally tiny number of people alive today with very old souls (those souls that have been in the cycle since the beginning of humankind) and a lot of people with souls that are barely a cycle or two old (consider that human population has doubled in the last 40 years or so). And some souls that had no prior human host.

And that is, assuming that a once human soul will be human every time after. If you believe that a human soul can go to a non-human animal after death, then the odds that your soul was human even once before drop tremendously.

This is not intended as a criticism of reincarnation itself. I don't believe in it, but for different reasons. This is simply commentary on the fact that reincarnation being true does not guarantee having past human lives.
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1268 on: September 11, 2013, 06:49:01 pm »
One "theory" of reincarnation is that it's basically a big melting pot of souls and when you die, your soul "melts" into the pot until it's indistinguishable, and every time someone is born, a metaphorical ladel scoops out the mix and a new person is born but with aspects of the previous ones.

I'm not sure I like that but it honestly makes the most sense within the context of reincarnation.

There's also the idea that reincarnation might draw from a universal or even a multiversal selection.  Not to mention multiple species.  So that one guy might actually be the reincarnation of a fox, while his "otherkin" friend might just be the reincarnation of a boring peasant.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #1269 on: September 11, 2013, 06:49:28 pm »

It's worth noting that, even assuming reincarnation happens, there are non-trivial odds that you aren't the reincarnation of anyone. Depends on how exactly you think it works, but population growth means that it's likely some souls nowadays had no prior body, or no prior human body at the very least.

There are quite a few more dead people than living people, so you could postulate that we do in fact have enough dead people for each person living today to have had a few past lives. If, for example, reincarnation only started happening after ~7 billion people died (cumulative), and those souls have been used and reused over time, each person alive today would have quite a few past lives (around 15, according to one estimate I found of roughly 108 billion total people ever). Of course, in a few years we'll need to start adding new souls to the mix, because population will continue to grow past those 7 billion.

But there's no particular reason to assume that the fundamental mechanisms of reincarnation chose 7 billion as 'the number of souls to be cycled until they are insufficient, then we start introducing new ones'. It would make more sense for reincarnation to have been happening throughout the existence of humans,  and new souls to be added all the time as needed. So when there were only a couple million people on Earth, there  were a couple million souls, that then got reused a generation later, and so on. We should then expect a proportionally tiny number of people alive today with very old souls (those souls that have been in the cycle since the beginning of humankind) and a lot of people with souls that are barely a cycle or two old (consider that human population has doubled in the last 40 years or so). And some souls that had no prior human host.

And that is, assuming that a once human soul will be human every time after. If you believe that a human soul can go to a non-human animal after death, then the odds that your soul was human even once before drop tremendously.

This is not intended as a criticism of reincarnation itself. I don't believe in it, but for different reasons. This is simply commentary on the fact that reincarnation being true does not guarantee having past human lives.

That said, you are going with the idea of time still moving linearly, even in the afterlife. If we go with a non-sequential timestream (or, basically, wibbly wobbly, timey wimey), multiple people could have the same soul at once. In fact, one could even theorize that, if this is correct, your perfect match(es) has your soul. So, if you have a long time spouse, they die, and you fall in love again, both have your soul.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1270 on: September 11, 2013, 06:51:12 pm »
That said, you are going with the idea of time still moving linearly, even in the afterlife. If we go with a non-sequential timestream (or, basically, wibbly wobbly, timey wimey), multiple people could have the same soul at once. In fact, one could even theorize that, if this is correct, your perfect match has your soul.

In my linear thinking I forgot about this, actually.  That's... hypo...thetically? possible.

Problem is once you get into quantum physics (which reincarnation probably does already) then it starts to become Whose Universe Is It Anyway?  Where the experiments are made up and the thoughts don't matter.

wrightway

« Reply #1271 on: September 11, 2013, 06:53:12 pm »
There's a coven in Ohio who believe similar to the idea Sigma put forth. Some souls are new, some are old. They also throw in a nirvana like idea that souls who have learned enough basically retire.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #1272 on: September 11, 2013, 06:53:55 pm »
That said, you are going with the idea of time still moving linearly, even in the afterlife. If we go with a non-sequential timestream (or, basically, wibbly wobbly, timey wimey), multiple people could have the same soul at once. In fact, one could even theorize that, if this is correct, your perfect match has your soul.

In my linear thinking I forgot about this, actually.  That's... hypo...thetically? possible.

Problem is once you get into quantum physics (which reincarnation probably does already) then it starts to become Whose Universe Is It Anyway?  Where the experiments are made up and the thoughts don't matter.
True. Everyone and everything could actually be one person, too. I heard a nice theory once: that living a universe of lives is how you create a god.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #1273 on: September 11, 2013, 07:00:41 pm »
If this is going to turn into a reincarnation talk, can we just split the topic?

Meanwhile!

"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1274 on: September 11, 2013, 07:07:34 pm »
I can see that, logically, if someone was a survivor of cancer/chemo. But still.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!