Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548444 times)

wrightway

Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #1290 on: September 12, 2013, 12:34:17 am »
Except the tags make it clear they think it applies to all similar situations. Oh, I find X attractive to me personally and not Y. Except now I'm a whatever-ist because I don't personally find Y attractive to me. It's not like I'm saying what god awful ugly creatures Ys are, or putting down people who find Y attractive.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #1291 on: September 12, 2013, 12:42:33 am »
Missed my point, did ya?

Let's play it reverse:
"I don't date white people because they have droopy eyes, skin like unbaked roll (god I hate that phrase), and beards like bird nest and no ass. Just a preference."
Vs.
"I don't date white people because I am not accustom to them."

Would you argue that the former is not problematic?

But if all you say is "I don't date white people. Just a preference" how are you gonna tell if that is or isn't problematic?
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

wrightway

« Reply #1292 on: September 12, 2013, 12:52:56 am »
Nope. I was only clarifying why I made the "dismissive" comment in regards to the tags.

As for "I don't date X people. Just a preference." It seems like an innocuous enough statement. Nice and neutral, without needing to split hairs. If I asked a black girl out and she told me she only prefers to date other black people I'd shrug it off as her preference and walk on. It's only if a pattern of obvious racism becomes apparent that the original statement was problematic.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:57:54 am by Brain Fritz »

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #1293 on: September 12, 2013, 01:02:29 am »
And that's what I was irked about. There so many white folks out there who think "ew Asians gross" or "ew Black gross" that if they see a quote like "I’m only attracted to caucasians–it’s not racist; just my personal preference" without more context they invoke Schrödinger's racist. But your response is "OMG SJW OVERACTING". Get it?

And again, it should be obvious from my disdain of "the unbaked roll" quote that I think people of color can say stupid shit too. Especially since the tumblr people who used that quote were white/white passing.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

wrightway

« Reply #1294 on: September 12, 2013, 01:12:00 am »
We're going to have to agree to disagree. I think looking for problems with a neutral statement is a trait of SJWishness. The person being quoted didn't call non white people unattractive, they just said white people were their preference. The tumblr blogger took it to mean that the person was calling all nonwhite people ugly. They were finding racism in a neutral statement.

If the person being quoted had said something overtly racist I'd be cheering the blogger on for pointing out the stupid.

wrightway

« Reply #1295 on: September 12, 2013, 01:16:17 am »
Moving on: You know what's awesome? Being accused of being ableist for saying homophobes are ignorant. Because I'm apparently belittling other people's cognitive differences by stating their ideas are inferior to others.

I would love to know how this works. Ignorance has nothing to do with cognitive functions.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1296 on: September 12, 2013, 02:17:37 am »
I will gladly admit to not being attracted to certain people who often fit into specific racial categories. It's entirely one of personal preference, based on personally not being attracted to particular morphological features. I'm not attracted to very many black or Asian women because their facial features are not what I prefer. I've also been attracted to Asian and black women who had atypical morphological differences (typically from being partially Caucasian or Hispanic). And I HAVE been called racist purely for not being attracted to specific features.

Said person went on for quite a long time arguing that we should completely ignore our preferences and date people of color whether or not we were specifically attracted to them so we could give them a better evolutionary chance.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #1297 on: September 12, 2013, 03:07:14 am »
I will gladly admit to not being attracted to certain people who often fit into specific racial categories. It's entirely one of personal preference, based on personally not being attracted to particular morphological features. I'm not attracted to very many black or Asian women because their facial features are not what I prefer. I've also been attracted to Asian and black women who had atypical morphological differences (typically from being partially Caucasian or Hispanic). And I HAVE been called racist purely for not being attracted to specific features.

Said person went on for quite a long time arguing that we should completely ignore our preferences and date people of color whether or not we were specifically attracted to them so we could give them a better evolutionary chance.

Because that doesn't sound racist at all.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #1298 on: September 12, 2013, 06:40:15 am »
I find certain features beautiful, but not sexually attractive. I had a black girl as a model once, and spent hours geeking over her skin tone and trying to paint it in a way that would do justice to the dark chocolatey feeling that you got looking at her. But even though I find her skin color aesthetically very pleasing, I could not be sexually attracted to her because of it : I like very pale girls and/or light brown "métisse" girls (don't know how to translate that word in a non-offensive way, keeping the french term which isn't racially charged).

Does that make me racist? I think not.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #1299 on: September 12, 2013, 06:47:59 am »
Moving on: You know what's awesome? Being accused of being ableist for saying homophobes are ignorant. Because I'm apparently belittling other people's cognitive differences by stating their ideas are inferior to others.

I would love to know how this works. Ignorance has nothing to do with cognitive functions.
Because we live in a society where opinions cannot be wrong and people are horrified if you tell someone that they did something badly, said something incorrect or inform them of being wrong at all, really.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1300 on: September 12, 2013, 08:38:14 am »

Because we live in a society where opinions cannot be wrong and people are horrified if you tell someone that they did something badly, said something incorrect or inform them of being wrong at all, really.

This, dear children, is what comes of the constant bleating of "everyone's a winner!"  Nope, there are losers, deal with it.  Deal with the loss, and make it into a success later on down the line.  That, children, is one of the ways in which we learn.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #1301 on: September 12, 2013, 01:06:19 pm »

HOLY OVERREACTION BATMAN!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #1302 on: September 12, 2013, 01:09:47 pm »
Man... Take a Prozac or something...

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #1303 on: September 12, 2013, 01:25:01 pm »
Man... Take a Prozac or something...

Drink some booze! Good *lord*... and I thought I had issues!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #1304 on: September 12, 2013, 01:31:11 pm »
I like how she accuses him of sexism, but then starts complaining about racism, even though he didn't mention her race at all.