Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1547786 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #1680 on: October 10, 2013, 11:15:33 am »
For me, the most interesting question in the 'what if' game is would the Americans still have their love affair with guns?

A peaceful separation would have meant no overriding need for militias which might have meant that there would be little reason to have a second amendment entrenching guns so firmly into the cultural makeup of the country. It is also possible that the wild west era with frequent conflicts with natives and squabbles with various other countries/colonies to the north, south, and east might have ensured that America kept on loving guns.

I think the American view on firearms ownership is a lot more complex than to be simply brought down to a violent revolution. A lot of it has to do with attempts to create a general culture of individual independence, something that modern Americans are still obsessed with even to the detriment of their fellow man.

Other nations have had violent revolutions rather than peaceful separations, but they don't necessarily have such free gun laws as the United States. Usually because the government wants more control, or the country goes down the shitter and the government tries to restrict firearms ownership in a desperate attempt to curb violence or regain control; Mexico has extremely restrictive firearms laws compared to us while being much worse off in many ways.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #1681 on: October 10, 2013, 12:09:28 pm »
I think it's the frontier aspect. For the first hundred years or so of American history, a significant portion of our country was frontier, where guns were a necessity. That wouldn't have changed if we were a British colony.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline WatermelonRat

• Apprentice
« Reply #1682 on: October 10, 2013, 01:31:26 pm »
To some extent, maybe, but don't forget that Napoleon probably wouldn't have sold the Louisiana Purchase to Britain, so our frontier would potentially be a lot smaller.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #1683 on: October 10, 2013, 02:54:24 pm »

Oh my god.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #1684 on: October 10, 2013, 03:02:08 pm »
Say "picky eaters" one more fuckin' time.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1685 on: October 10, 2013, 03:07:19 pm »
Picky Eaters

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1686 on: October 10, 2013, 03:49:36 pm »
Oh my god I'm psychic.  I was literally wondering today about a SJW movement for picky eaters, and I think my thoughts even organized on that level.

That being said, I'm a picky eater because textures and flavors can literally make me barf.  Forcing myself to eat a food I don't like turns my stomach sour anyways.

I do regularly try to expand my palate, but I've yet to have any real success.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #1687 on: October 10, 2013, 04:23:39 pm »
I can eat just about anything if it's not spicy or oversalted, but my little brother will only eat noodles and waffles.

As far as SJ movements for completely ridiculous things, I predict *crosses self, steps into circle of salt, readies wooden stake* a movement based around people who prefer to sleep during the day and do things at night. There will be an awesome insult for people who disagree with them (Daywalkers?) and fake science saying that we're all "supposed" to be nocturnal.

Internet, do your thing.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1688 on: October 10, 2013, 04:33:14 pm »
I think it's the frontier aspect. For the first hundred years or so of American history, a significant portion of our country was frontier, where guns were a necessity. That wouldn't have changed if we were a British colony.

The same could well be said of Canada, and our gun laws are decidedly stricter than the US's.

(That said, I've heard it said that one big difference between Canada and the US is that in the US, the settlers went west before the police did, and in Canada the police went west before the settlers. There were also already two colonies--Vancouver Island and British Columbia--on the Pacific shore well before Canadian Confederation.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #1689 on: October 10, 2013, 04:46:14 pm »

Oh my god.

Well yeah you're rude if you pick on a person who has food allergies or a cultural dietary restrict or if you are on a health diet like me. But "picky eaters" generally are young'ins who refuse to eat something because it's not something they are used to or if it isn't saturated with sugar. Or they are snobs who can't bear to eat what "others" eat.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1690 on: October 10, 2013, 05:55:36 pm »

Oh my god.

Well yeah you're rude if you pick on a person who has food allergies or a cultural dietary restrict or if you are on a health diet like me. But "picky eaters" generally are young'ins who refuse to eat something because it's not something they are used to or if it isn't saturated with sugar. Or they are snobs who can't bear to eat what "others" eat.

Also, some people just plain have sensitive mouths.  My mother, for example, can't stand spicy foods because its painful for her to eat; "spicy" for her would be the equivalent to a dash of regular old black pepper for most of us.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #1691 on: October 10, 2013, 07:15:28 pm »

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #1692 on: October 10, 2013, 09:09:46 pm »

Oh my god.

Also, some people just plain have sensitive mouths.  My mother, for example, can't stand spicy foods because its painful for her to eat; "spicy" for her would be the equivalent to a dash of regular old black pepper for most of us.

Exactly. And I wouldn't consider not eating spicy food picky reading.
But also when you're poor you don't get the luxury of eating what you want. I guess the o p didn't think of that. It is like vegans almost. Do they ever think it maybe hard for some people to actually pick their food?
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #1693 on: October 10, 2013, 09:59:21 pm »
I'm something of a picky eater. It's mostly that there are large groups of foods I don't like, such as nearly all cheeses and most vegetables. Then you throw in keeping kosher, and you start to see why I have a problem with premade meals.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #1694 on: October 11, 2013, 12:14:16 am »
So wearing dreads and practicing yoga are racist now.

http://smallworldofbigal.tumblr.com/post/63681174003/ohsocialjustice-whiteopinionsrwhiteopinions

This is actually nothing new. They've been doing this for a long time.
I'm just surprised they didn't tell her to kill herself.