Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548344 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #1965 on: November 25, 2013, 05:30:43 pm »
One person who says they hear voices is a nutcase.  A group of people telling each other they hear voices is a religion.

SO sigging this.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #1966 on: November 25, 2013, 09:14:07 pm »
Has any actual expert conducted any kind of research on the supposed phenomenon of "multiplicity"? Has any real scientist ever even said anything about or acknowledged the supposed phenomenon? I'm surprised no one's done any research or even comments but Morgellans gets a whole research organization at my college's main campus.

Of course there aren't multiple souls in these people, especially not the souls of fictional characters created less than three years ago. What I want to know is if there's any legitimate mental illness or if these twits are just trying to get attention. I'm gonna say there's a good chance it's the latter, but I would want to see the research in to what causes such a relatively large "group hysteria" effect. What causes so many to, at least seemingly, seriously believe they have fictional characters in their heads.

Also, "headmate" seems to be a brand of toilet.

I don't think any scientific studies have been done on "headmates" or "multiple systems" as Tumblr calls it, but there IS a lot of study on actual Dissociative Identity Disorder, or "split personalities". It's extremely rare (usually diagnosed as 1% to 5% of the population), and many psychologists argue about whether or not it even exists as a specific mental illness, to say nothing of disagreements on the specifics of the disorder.

Considering the rarity of the disorder in comparison to the sheer amount of Tumblr folks who appear to have some form of it, I'm willing to bet that a lot of the Tumblr weirdos are simply fooling themselves through a sort of placebo effect: they believe that they have these "headmates", so they create personalities and thoughts and attribute them to the alternate personalities/spirits in their head/fictional characters/bullshit rather than their own brain stupidly running headfirst into a wall over and over.

Same with otherkin: they believe that they have the soul of a swan or wolf or tiger or something (conveniently almost always a "cool" or "beautiful" animal) and their brains fool themselves into having "phantom tails" that people can somehow step on or cause them to "shift" into animal behavior when it's really just their brain tricking itself and the person going along with it because they want to believe that it's true. Ever notice how they only notice someone "stepping on their phantom tail" when they can witness the person standing or sitting where they think that their tail should be?

Another good sign that it's all just a placebo effect (rather than legitimate mental illness) is that it's very easy to become a "former otherkin" or drop the idea of being a multiple system. Legitimate mental illness can't simply be "cured" and often requires continuous medication to mitigate the problem and allow the person to sustain themselves in daily life. But former otherkin/multiples tend to simply realize that the idea is dumb and forget about it.

Some actually have a dissociative, dissociative + co-morbidity with other disorders, a lot a self-diagnosed attention whores. The presence of self inflicted bodly harm is usually indicates psychological illness.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Carnotaurus

• Neonate
« Reply #1967 on: November 27, 2013, 10:41:43 am »
I was baited into an argument with a social justicite the other night, and I wish I'd kept screencaps of the thing. A Frozen thread on /co/ degenerated into the usual "Wah feminists" whining that pops up every time a show has a female main character. About halfway in, a person who's basically spent the thread denouncing everything ever done by whites, males, or heterosexuals as sexist/racist/what have you declares that "White male gaming culture is the most sexist culture there is."

That's where I stepped in. I agreed that gaming culture can be very sexist, which is why I mostly game solo, but said that calling it the most sexist culture ever is to be either naive or sheltered and cited several instances where women are legally disenfranchised or targets for revenge killings and outright murder.

"Stop using your racism to defend your sexism!"

They trivialize the very real plight of women around the world, yet I'm the sexist for pointing it out. After that, I called them out for what they said, offered a few observations about their general intelligence, and left the thread. Perhaps I should have taken them to task for their own racism. Guaranteed they wouldn't have said that if the women in question where white.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1968 on: November 27, 2013, 02:05:04 pm »
...Stop using your racism to defend your... what?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #1969 on: November 27, 2013, 02:23:35 pm »
Stop making sense because our sense makes more sense than your sense because yours is sensible and ours tends to be nonsense!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #1970 on: November 27, 2013, 03:53:03 pm »
Cant you sheeple see!? You're using your ableism to defend his racism which is defending his sexism, which is probably defending his ageism!/ColbertVoice

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1971 on: November 27, 2013, 07:18:57 pm »
Cant you sheeple see!? You're using your ableism to defend his racism which is defending his sexism, which is probably defending his ageism!/ColbertVoice

I place ableism in defense mode!
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #1972 on: November 27, 2013, 07:31:17 pm »

You just activated my trap card!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #1973 on: November 27, 2013, 07:37:51 pm »
Go SKITTY!

*SKITTY uses Charm!*

What?

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #1974 on: November 27, 2013, 07:42:09 pm »
FINISHING MOVE! GIGA DRILL BREAK!
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #1975 on: November 27, 2013, 08:47:20 pm »
NOT MY SKITTY!  *Jumps in front of attack*

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1976 on: November 27, 2013, 09:14:04 pm »

You just activated my trap card!

No, you just activated MY trap card!
Schrodinger's Card, go!

(This topic...)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1977 on: November 27, 2013, 09:28:28 pm »
But I wanted Agumon.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #1978 on: November 27, 2013, 10:00:10 pm »
Allrighty children, I think we've played around this thread long enough.  Time to open your textbooks to chapter 34, read it carefully, and do the quiz at the end of the chapter.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:02:11 pm by SpaceProg »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1979 on: November 27, 2013, 10:08:52 pm »
Sensei! Danshi ga, gaido san no iukoto wo kikimasen!
Sensei! Joshi ga, kaimono ni itta mama kaette kimasen!