Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548667 times)

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #4065 on: July 06, 2014, 05:21:04 pm »
Things that make a 3rd Year Biomedicine student cry:

or are you going to be a fucking anti-intellectual prick and tell me animals have socially constructed their sexes as well?

Animals never had any real ‘sex/gender’ attached to them in the first place eg given that ‘male’ birds are ZZ, ‘female’ birds are ZW and the chromosomes and sex determination system are so different from the XY determination system where females are the homogametic ‘sex’ (XX) and males are the heterogametic ‘sex’ (XY) in humans you wonder where humans drew that point of comparison in the first place.

biological facts

http://www.twisteddoodles.com/post/86414780702/working-in-science

There is no such thing as a ‘fact’ in science, there are theories supported by experimental data and statistical analysis and sometimes they turn out to be INCORRECT or mistaken for something else or there are multiple influences of which we have isolated only one.  If facts existed my life would be much easier.

our chromosomes

Our chromosomes (and their expression), environment AND epigenetic markers.

sex characteristics…any variance from that is an intersex condition and their existence

So if I decide the next day to have prophylactic surgery to remove my breasts because I don’t want to risk the chance of breast cancer and the “biological sex” I am born as is female will I spontaneously become intersex?

The concept of sex and gender has a complexity which can not simply be quantified. It is less of “biological sex” and more of the “social stereotypes that society places upon qualitative and visible phenotypic traits” which conflicts with what the person identifies as.

Even our definition of “biological sex” was extremely rigid (male, female or intersex as you describe), we’d still have an absolute MINIMUM of two sexes within their life. Everyone would at least be female (shortly after fertilisation) and then female or male or intersex.

Oh god, this is that "we're all intersexed and intersex has an evolutionary benefit because it exists" asshole, isn't it?  I think it is because of their use of bird sexes to try and prove a point.  They're basically trying to argue that biological sex is a social concept.

And yes, "people who know more than you" can still be wrong and biased.  I knew a girl who was in college to be a neurosurgeon, and on one of her university group projects, the group leader commandeered the project to push veganism.

Edit:  Just saw someone (who claims to be a practicing neurologist) respond to this, and called the OP 'obtuse', which is what I was thinking when I read this.  They also urge the OP to talk to their professor.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:41:31 pm by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4066 on: July 06, 2014, 06:09:08 pm »

I'm a bit suspicious about what the guy meant buy "everyone is responsible for their own actions" either way they both seem kinda stooped.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:11:10 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #4067 on: July 06, 2014, 07:19:02 pm »
I'm a bit suspicious about what the guy meant buy "everyone is responsible for their own actions"

People are responsible for their actions, at least from a non-deterministic or compatibilist viewpoint.

either way they both seem kinda stooped.

I don't see how their back posture figures into this.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4068 on: July 06, 2014, 07:46:40 pm »
Death to the stoopers.

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #4069 on: July 06, 2014, 08:11:27 pm »
-snippity-

Heh, when I saw that first point, I thought they were trying to argue that animals can choose their own genders. I'm a little relieved I was wrong.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #4070 on: July 06, 2014, 08:31:22 pm »
That sounds like something a PETA member would do on their REALLY crazy days.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #4071 on: July 07, 2014, 02:00:09 am »

"And George, while his intelligence was way above normal, had a little mental handicap radio in his ear. He was required by law to wear it at all times. It was tuned to a government transmitter. Every twenty seconds or so, the transmitter would send out some sharp noise to keep people like George from taking unfair advantage of their brains."

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4072 on: July 07, 2014, 02:11:16 am »

"And George, while his intelligence was way above normal, had a little mental handicap radio in his ear. He was required by law to wear it at all times. It was tuned to a government transmitter. Every twenty seconds or so, the transmitter would send out some sharp noise to keep people like George from taking unfair advantage of their brains."

Talking at all is ableist and oppresses mute people, please don't talk. Listening is ableist and oppresses deaf people, please don't listen. Reading and writing is ableist and oppresses the blind and illiterate, please don't write. All forms of communication are oppressive. All humans should live in sensory deprivation tanks.

I seriously want to ask some of these people what they think of the story "Harrison Bergeron".
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #4073 on: July 07, 2014, 02:12:42 am »
It's the horseshoe theory in action.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #4074 on: July 07, 2014, 09:14:42 am »

Literally all of Westeros is queer.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4075 on: July 07, 2014, 10:32:56 am »
(click to show/hide)

In my headcanon, everyone is gay except Loras and Renly. And Oberyn is asexual.
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4076 on: July 07, 2014, 10:55:43 am »
(click to show/hide)

Funny how they didn't even touch Joffrey's sexuality.  Mostly because he's a psychotic, amoral, sadistic monster.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4077 on: July 07, 2014, 01:13:54 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Funny how they didn't even touch Joffrey's sexuality.  Mostly because he's a psychotic, amoral, sadistic monster.
And also because he's probably asexual, at least on the show.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #4078 on: July 07, 2014, 02:48:33 pm »

Sometimes I wonder if little snowflakes like this have real conversations.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4079 on: July 07, 2014, 03:49:18 pm »
(click to show/hide)

And also because he's probably asexual, at least on the show.

Actually, he catches me as aromantic, but not asexual.  If I didn't know any better, I'd swear he was jacking off as he made the one whore beat the other with...what I could only assume was part of a hat rack or a very fancy mace.  He may not care either way about screwing, except to perpetuate the royal line, but he does seem to take near-sexual pleasure in suffering and pain.  Sooooo...sadosexual?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.