Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548966 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #4275 on: August 26, 2014, 09:56:14 am »
Well, it would seem that "prostitute of colour" is now a thing, thanks to Anita Sarkeesian.

Please tell me she's taking the piss.  Because that's the most patently ridiculous term for a person I've ever fucking heard.

I could, but I'd be lying.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4276 on: August 26, 2014, 11:09:52 am »
Well, it would seem that "prostitute of colour" is now a thing, thanks to Anita Sarkeesian.

Please tell me she's taking the piss.  Because that's the most patently ridiculous term for a person I've ever fucking heard.

I could, but I'd be lying.

Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4277 on: August 26, 2014, 01:46:50 pm »
Time to whip this out again.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkIZR-CE3iY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkIZR-CE3iY</a>
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4278 on: August 26, 2014, 02:01:38 pm »
Can someone provide context as to where this term "prostitute of colour" came from?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4279 on: August 26, 2014, 02:05:00 pm »
Probably from Grand Theft Auto.  Thinking on it, I don't really recall any prostitute models in any of the games being anything other than white.  You'd think a mothafucka would take that as a damned compliment and not bitch, but people love to complain.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4280 on: August 26, 2014, 02:34:20 pm »
Probably from Grand Theft Auto.  Thinking on it, I don't really recall any prostitute models in any of the games being anything other than white.  You'd think a mothafucka would take that as a damned compliment and not bitch, but people love to complain.
There is honestly quite a lot of legitimate bullshit in the game to complain about.

For the most part I like Anita's commentaries, even if she says dumb shit like that fairly often.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:01:15 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4281 on: August 26, 2014, 05:37:24 pm »
What I find more hilarious is that Anita sucks as an arguer, and yet her detractors are probably the best argument in favor of feminism because of their sheer massive amounts of abuse proving Anita right better than SHE can.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4282 on: August 26, 2014, 09:28:16 pm »
...Well, to be honest how many people go around calling women "females?"

Like, "Excuse me female I'd like to have another cup of coffee?" Or something like that.

Not quite like that, but MRAs and their ilk have been known for using the term "females" instead of "women". Like "Things Females Seem To Not Understand" and such. It's kind of weird.
Σא

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4283 on: August 26, 2014, 09:57:13 pm »
I actually have a genderfluid friend who specifically asks that people use "man" and "woman" to refer to gender and "male" and "female" to refer to sex. So a trans-man would still be a biological female and it would be fine to refer to him as such, as his biology is still that of a female human. But you'd call him a man.

This also helps for non-binary people who don't feel any attachment to being a man OR a woman.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #4284 on: August 26, 2014, 11:05:31 pm »
I actually have a genderfluid friend who specifically asks that people use "man" and "woman" to refer to gender and "male" and "female" to refer to sex. So a trans-man would still be a biological female and it would be fine to refer to him as such, as his biology is still that of a female human. But you'd call him a man.

This also helps for non-binary people who don't feel any attachment to being a man OR a woman.

After reading your post 3 times, I've still got trouble getting what you're saying. I'm a cisgendered male. Does that make me a man as my gender and male as my sex? Honestly, I find that a bit callous towards transpeople even though, granted, I don't know many but the few I know would take it badly if I referred to them by their birth gender. But please, explain because I feel I've misinterpreted something and I'm genuinely curious.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4285 on: August 26, 2014, 11:48:00 pm »

After reading your post 3 times, I've still got trouble getting what you're saying. I'm a cisgendered male. Does that make me a man as my gender and male as my sex? Honestly, I find that a bit callous towards transpeople even though, granted, I don't know many but the few I know would take it badly if I referred to them by their birth gender. But please, explain because I feel I've misinterpreted something and I'm genuinely curious.

Yeah, you're a man and a male. Gender and sex are entirely different things; someone who is a trans man is likely to still be biologically female, which is extremely important for considerations like medical emergencies. Referring to a transsexual person as their desired gender doesn't change their biological sex, and even in 2014 we don't have the ability to 100% change biological sex from one binary to another.

It also allows for clarification regarding, say, sexual attraction. I'm predominately attracted to females. Not simply "women", but also females who don't necessarily identify as a girl.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #4286 on: August 27, 2014, 02:15:22 am »

Liberty city stories has some non-white prostitutes if I recall correctly.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4287 on: August 27, 2014, 10:32:17 am »

Liberty city stories has some non-white prostitutes if I recall correctly.

I've not played any of the side games, just the main line.  Well, except GTA II.  I should get around to fixing that, some day.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4288 on: August 27, 2014, 10:37:14 am »
I can confirm that all of the games have prostitutes of multiple ethnicities.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #4289 on: August 27, 2014, 07:35:05 pm »
Pharyngula commenters predictably getting butthurt about "butthurt".

(click to show/hide)

They hardly even pretend the alleged definition is recognized by anyone else. Pharyngula commenters may be entitled to their own opinions, but they think they can project their own definitions too.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.