Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1547898 times)

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #4740 on: October 25, 2014, 08:17:03 pm »
Can't you keep your fucking gamergate-related bullshit to its own topic? I can't speak for everyone, but I for one don't want to see it bleeding into EVERY GODDAMN TOPIC HERE. God, I didn't show up here because I wanted to see GamerGate everywhere. It's in the funny pics thread, it's in the worst of social justice thread, where else are you gonna throw it?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4741 on: October 25, 2014, 08:18:14 pm »
It's loathsome because she blamed masculinity for mass shootings.  How exactly is that any different from blaming Islam for terrorism?

As far as I know, most terrorists are not Muslim. Though I would love decent statistics on that; most of the ones I see are about America, where there aren't that many Muslims to be doing the terrorism in the first place.

Either way, you seem to have me confused with an entirely different sort of leftist. I'm an antitheist. I have no problem with considering religion as a factor in terrorism; though I would argue it's not really the most relevant one, I certainly wouldn't call someone using that argument loathsome, in the context of a discussion of Islamic terrorism. Wrong, but not loathsome.

It's also loathsome because she was using it to push her agenda and plug a book.

So she saw a problem, talked about what she thought the cause was, and recommended some reading on the subject. Villainous!

Is that going to be tinted by her political agenda? Obviously. People's politics tend to be related to the way they see the world; if you think gender roles are destructive and dangerous, then you're going to have politics that reflect that.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4742 on: October 25, 2014, 08:25:12 pm »
Okay.  Back to radflakes.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #4743 on: October 25, 2014, 08:34:15 pm »
Okay.  Back to radflakes.

-snip

I think I recognise her, she's been quoted by FSTDT hasn't she?

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4744 on: October 25, 2014, 10:00:38 pm »
It's loathsome because she blamed masculinity for mass shootings.  How exactly is that any different from blaming Islam for terrorism?

It's also loathsome because she was using it to push her agenda and plug a book.
You're blaming mental illness for shootings. How is that different from blaming Islam for terrorism?
Also, she did say toxic masculinity, i think.

(Apologies if I sound aggressive)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:21:30 pm by I am lizard »

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4745 on: October 26, 2014, 02:04:50 am »

You're blaming mental illness for shootings. How is that different from blaming Islam for terrorism?

I'm pretty certain someone who feels that murdering dozens of innocent people is the correct way to go about solving a problem with society is going to be mentally ill. Like, that's not even really an arguable point.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #4746 on: October 26, 2014, 02:20:25 am »
Best to leave diagnoses to the professionals, professionals who've actually spent time with the patient to reach their conclusion.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #4747 on: October 26, 2014, 02:55:18 am »

I'm pretty certain someone who feels that murdering dozens of innocent people is the correct way to go about solving a problem with society is going to be mentally ill. Like, that's not even really an arguable point.
That wasn't the point I was trying to make dummy, I was trying to point out it's hypocritical to get mad when someone accuses masculinity of causing violence but be perfectly fine when someone blames mental illness. Regardless of the factual accuracy there it's hypocritical.

EDIT: sig already commented on the subject just ignore this comment.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:58:23 am by I am lizard »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #4748 on: October 26, 2014, 02:56:21 am »
Best to leave diagnoses to the professionals, professionals who've actually spent time with the patient to reach their conclusion.
Haven't the majority of recent shooters had a history of mental illness?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #4749 on: October 26, 2014, 03:24:29 am »

Yeah-they have. But determining exactly what someone's mental condition is and drawing conclusions on how it relates to their actions unless you've actually been trained in that field is problematic.

Note I'm not saying that you are making couch diagnoses of anyone, just saying as a general principle that couch diagnoses aren't particularly useful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4750 on: October 26, 2014, 09:08:58 am »

Most people with mental illnesses are harmless.  I agree with that.  The problem comes from the fact that the American mental healthcare system leaves a lot to be desired.  Therefore, these mass shooters aren't getting the treatment they need.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4751 on: October 26, 2014, 02:13:17 pm »

Yeah-they have. But determining exactly what someone's mental condition is and drawing conclusions on how it relates to their actions unless you've actually been trained in that field is problematic.

Note I'm not saying that you are making couch diagnoses of anyone, just saying as a general principle that couch diagnoses aren't particularly useful.

There's a difference between trying to actually diagnose someone's specific problem and recognizing that "sanity" and "spree killing innocent people" are typically mutually exclusive.

Just because a professional has not made a specific diagnosis does not mean that a mental illness does not exist.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #4752 on: October 26, 2014, 02:16:14 pm »

Most people with mental illnesses are harmless.  I agree with that.  The problem comes from the fact that the American mental healthcare system leaves a lot to be desired.  Therefore, these mass shooters aren't getting the treatment they need.
I wasn't trying to argue that point.
Read my comment from earlier.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4753 on: October 26, 2014, 02:27:22 pm »
Regardless of the factual accuracy there it's hypocritical.

That is not even close to how hypocrisy works. If "spree killers are mentally ill" is taken as factually accurate while "spree shooters are caused by toxic masculinity encouraging men to kill for dominance" isn't, then the former isn't a hypocritical position to take.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #4754 on: October 26, 2014, 02:40:02 pm »
Regardless of the factual accuracy there it's hypocritical.

That is not even close to how hypocrisy works. If "spree killers are mentally ill" is taken as factually accurate while "spree shooters are caused by toxic masculinity encouraging men to kill for dominance" isn't, then the former isn't a hypocritical position to take.
That's not what I was trying to say, I'm saying the former isn't a "loathsome" position to take, factually inaccurate, yes, but not loathsome.
There, are we good now?