Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548792 times)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #5070 on: December 17, 2014, 09:49:03 am »
I think twerf has something to do with trigger warnings.

neutrois might mean she has 3 genders and doesn't want to act sexually as any of them.

demigirl means demisexual girl. Demisexuals being the special snowflake sexuality.

change your mind meaning she likely came up with all of this on the fly, and wanted to feel special.
I think "neutrois" means the same thing as "agender", but this shit changes so fast that today's Cool Thing is tomorrow's Trigger. And I don't have a fucking clue what TWERF is.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5071 on: December 17, 2014, 09:49:58 am »
Here I was thinking she'd simply misspelled "neutrino," and that she thought she was a known, yet nearly undetectable particle.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5072 on: December 17, 2014, 09:54:04 am »

neutrois might mean she has 3 genders and doesn't want to act sexually as any of them.

demigirl means demisexual girl. Demisexuals being the special snowflake sexuality.

change your mind meaning she likely came up with all of this on the fly, and wanted to feel special.
I think "neutrois" means the same thing as "agender", but this shit changes so fast that today's Cool Thing is tomorrow's Trigger. And I don't have a fucking clue what TWERF is.

so basically, labels for labels' sake, and the more oxymoronic they are the better, it seems.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #5073 on: December 17, 2014, 09:59:45 am »

so basically, labels for labels' sake, and the more oxymoronic they are the better, it seems.
According to Urban Dictionary, the definition of "twerf" is either "to queef while twerking" or "to fuck someone so hard they become infertile". I don't know which one's funnier.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5074 on: December 17, 2014, 10:45:23 am »

According to Urban Dictionary, the definition of "twerf" is either "to queef while twerking" or "to fuck someone so hard they become infertile". I don't know which one's funnier.
I do not know what "queef" means and now I am afraid to go find out...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #5075 on: December 17, 2014, 11:18:35 am »
Askold, just please don't look it up at work.

Also, (to the board in general) what is AFAB? I thought it was a British sitcom but now I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:20:18 am by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5076 on: December 17, 2014, 11:30:11 am »

I love that second definition for some reason

@Rookie:  AFAB = Assigned Female At Birth
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #5077 on: December 17, 2014, 11:34:33 am »
Aha. Thanks.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5078 on: December 17, 2014, 11:38:03 am »
"Twerf" means a TERF that targets trans women only (i.e. is relatively ok with trans men).

"Demigirl" is not "demisexual girl". It means someone who partially identifies as a girl (as opposed to wholly or not at all).

"Neutrois" is more or less the same as agender, but it varies. Not sure what it's supposed to mean in this context.

"Gender-critical feminism" is a particular kind of feminism that.. actually I have no idea how to explain it. Their opponents say it's basically the same as TERF. I can't find any concise statement of belief from someone who actually identifies as such. I think they criticise what they see as people calling themselves women but not really being women in some meaningful sense? Anyway, in context, it basically means they don't like feminists that are against transwomen, which they kind of already said before.

"Changing your mind" means presumably the same it means in normal discourse: having beliefs about something, and then changing those beliefs.

"Queef" is a vaginal fart.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5079 on: December 17, 2014, 12:25:39 pm »
"Twerf" means a TERF that targets trans women only (i.e. is relatively ok with trans men).

"Demigirl" is not "demisexual girl". It means someone who partially identifies as a girl (as opposed to wholly or not at all).

"Neutrois" is more or less the same as agender, but it varies. Not sure what it's supposed to mean in this context.

"Gender-critical feminism" is a particular kind of feminism that.. actually I have no idea how to explain it. Their opponents say it's basically the same as TERF. I can't find any concise statement of belief from someone who actually identifies as such. I think they criticise what they see as people calling themselves women but not really being women in some meaningful sense? Anyway, in context, it basically means they don't like feminists that are against transwomen, which they kind of already said before.

"Changing your mind" means presumably the same it means in normal discourse: having beliefs about something, and then changing those beliefs.

You know, it used to be the smartest people who coined new words.  Now it seems like it's the dumbest who do it.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5080 on: December 17, 2014, 12:44:57 pm »

i thought that the whole point of social sexual justice was accepting that it wasn't all just a phase. so in this respect, someone saying that they can change their mind about their sexuality is pretty... odd at the very least, and dare i say it, triggering :p still, it's a very clunky way to say that the person is genderfluid or non-binary.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5081 on: December 17, 2014, 12:56:30 pm »
Sigma: You did not have to provide explanation for all of those. Really, I could have lived my life happily without knowing the truth.

Other than that, even though I have long ago come to the conclusion the people can call themselves whatever they want and accepting them being different is just polite and "no skin off my nose" or however that phrase goes.

...Still I feel like headpalming every now and then.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5082 on: December 17, 2014, 01:15:03 pm »
i thought that the whole point of social sexual justice was accepting that it wasn't all just a phase. so in this respect, someone saying that they can change their mind about their sexuality is pretty... odd at the very least, and dare i say it, triggering :p still, it's a very clunky way to say that the person is genderfluid or non-binary.

Part of social justice (a part I agree with) is that sexuality and gender identity are more complicated than the standard view of "men like women, women like men, nothing else under the sun". How much more complicated is a tricky question, I'm not getting into it. But anyway, the more complicated you admit gender can be, the more allowances you have to make for people exploring their gender and sexuality.

I'm sure trans people are not in general born knowing they are trans, gay people are not born knowing they are gay, etc. If we accept someone can change their mind from "I'm straight" to "I'm gay" or from "I'm a man" to "I'm a woman", it does not seem a priori ridiculous to say that one can change their mind about being non-binary or whatever. That doesn't imply it's a phase, just that they are examining a larger gender-space.
Σא

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5083 on: December 17, 2014, 03:48:06 pm »

Part of social justice (a part I agree with) is that sexuality and gender identity are more complicated than the standard view of "men like women, women like men, nothing else under the sun". How much more complicated is a tricky question, I'm not getting into it. But anyway, the more complicated you admit gender can be, the more allowances you have to make for people exploring their gender and sexuality.

I'm sure trans people are not in general born knowing they are trans, gay people are not born knowing they are gay, etc. If we accept someone can change their mind from "I'm straight" to "I'm gay" or from "I'm a man" to "I'm a woman", it does not seem a priori ridiculous to say that one can change their mind about being non-binary or whatever. That doesn't imply it's a phase, just that they are examining a larger gender-space.
It's always a good idea to try and explore ones gender and sexuality.
 Among other things ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5084 on: December 17, 2014, 10:46:18 pm »

"LGBT members should have their voice heard!  But use that voice to speak against us and you're worthless!"