Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548322 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #5640 on: February 26, 2015, 11:57:33 pm »
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5643 on: February 27, 2015, 12:40:08 am »
SHARLAND! FIND ME A BATTERY AND SOME CREAM CHEESE!!!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Jessibel

• Neonate
« Reply #5644 on: February 27, 2015, 12:57:14 am »
Alternatively, they are using a vague term in a slightly different way than you are.

Asexual can reasonably be used to mean people who are indifferent to sex, people who find sex actively unpleasant, people who are not attracted sexually to anyone in particular, people who don't experience arousal, and other related groups.
It seems silly to include people who are in fact sexually attracted to other humans, but simply choose not to pursue it for one reason or another. It just makes the term far too vague to be useful. Yeah, I can understand humouring people like that who claim to be asexual, if only to avoid drama. But when discussing actual sexualities, something that's an innate condition rather than a choice, such a definition would render it meaningless. Anyone could rightfully claim asexuality under that definition simply by choosing not to pork anyone.

If they want to have sex with other people but choose not to, they are are considered celibate, not asexuals. Asexual people don't want to have sex with other people, even if they may still feel sexual desire or attraction. It's the lack of desire to physically have sex with another human being that defines it, not necessarily the lack of any sort of sexual desire all together.

And like Sigmaleph said, it's a fairly nuanced term, with people finding slightly different meanings in it. If someone who does masturbate but doesn't enjoy sex feels the term applies to them, why is he/she less worthy of the term than someone who has never had a single sexual fantasy. They are both going to be judged as abnormal by society, and have just as hard of a time finding a romantic partner (if they want one).

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5645 on: February 27, 2015, 05:09:33 am »
If they want to have sex with other people but choose not to, they are are considered celibate, not asexuals. Asexual people don't want to have sex with other people, even if they may still feel sexual desire or attraction. It's the lack of desire to physically have sex with another human being that defines it, not necessarily the lack of any sort of sexual desire all together.
I've always thought sexuality refers specifically to attraction. Bisexuals are attracted to both sexes, heterosexuals to the opposite sex, homosexuals to the same sex and asexuals to neither sex. Sex drive is what describes whether nor not they actually want to fuck anyone, not sexuality.
And like Sigmaleph said, it's a fairly nuanced term, with people finding slightly different meanings in it. If someone who does masturbate but doesn't enjoy sex feels the term applies to them, why is he/she less worthy of the term than someone who has never had a single sexual fantasy. They are both going to be judged as abnormal by society, and have just as hard of a time finding a romantic partner (if they want one).
I'm talking strictly about the definition of the word itself. Any social justice issues surround asexuals or people claiming to be asexuals is a completely separate matter.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #5647 on: February 27, 2015, 03:00:38 pm »
Back on topic...
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5648 on: February 27, 2015, 04:55:22 pm »

How did you know they were cis?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5649 on: February 27, 2015, 05:08:36 pm »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5650 on: February 27, 2015, 05:21:02 pm »
And were you laying down in the middle of the street?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5651 on: February 27, 2015, 09:12:12 pm »
Alternatively, they are using a vague term in a slightly different way than you are.

Asexual can reasonably be used to mean people who are indifferent to sex, people who find sex actively unpleasant, people who are not attracted sexually to anyone in particular, people who don't experience arousal, and other related groups.
It seems silly to include people who are in fact sexually attracted to other humans, but simply choose not to pursue it for one reason or another. It just makes the term far too vague to be useful. Yeah, I can understand humouring people like that who claim to be asexual, if only to avoid drama. But when discussing actual sexualities, something that's an innate condition rather than a choice, such a definition would render it meaningless.

Some definitions of asexuality refer to a sexual orientation analogous to hetero- or bisexuality. Others speak to other aspects of one's attitude/preferences towards sex. If you are in a context were precision matters you can always specify which one you mean, the same way we do with every other word with multiple related meanings when we need to use it technically.

Anyone could rightfully claim asexuality under that definition simply by choosing not to pork anyone.

Sort of? I think if you really are sexually attracted to people, and enjoy sex, then choosing to abstain is not exactly asexuality. I can't really read your mind though, so if you lied and told me you were not attracted to anyone I wouldn't really know the difference.

But either way, I don't see why people "claiming" asexuality is a problem*. It makes the word less exactly rigorous, maybe, but most of the vocabulary regarding sex and sexual orientation is non-technical and has vague definitions and complicated edge cases.

*I can imagine someone who is asexual bothered by someone else claiming the term, but I don't think that's what you have in mind.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5652 on: February 28, 2015, 12:06:18 am »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5653 on: February 28, 2015, 11:58:54 am »
2deep4me

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #5654 on: February 28, 2015, 12:34:26 pm »
[Citation Needed]
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!