Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548254 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #5955 on: April 06, 2015, 12:17:58 pm »
I did just a little digging so far, links to links within versions of this "viral" story. So far, I determined that the site first linked to is a small-government-conservative site, no surprise since it's named the Federalist Papers. I did find a quoted UCLA Report PDF document about racial bias incident investigations amongst the faculty and administration, not the student body. When I get time later on I'll back check other links.

In any case, if the story about students protesting a university instructor's grammar/spelling corrections is true, well, it just seems like IRL trolling or Tumblrina spew. It's just not possible for any student of any race to have never experienced seeing teachers' spelling, grammar or factual corrections on their work assignments, going all the way back to first grade.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 02:45:43 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5956 on: April 06, 2015, 12:50:30 pm »
It's just not possible for any student of any race to have never experienced seeing teachers' spelling, grammar or factual corrections on their work assignments, going all the way back to first grade.

...But is it possible that a group that wanted to protest on something this absurd waited until a random professor corrected someones assignment and then had this protest so that there would be precedent for cases like this? Maybe it was trolling. Maybe they didn't have any proper reason to be angry so they made up something like this. Maybe they are Tumblr social justice warriors and only recently got organized and this was the first time they had a live protest over "Tumblr type" issues.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #5957 on: April 06, 2015, 02:49:56 pm »
Yeah, there have been other recent cases of Tumblrina virus infestations erupting in real life on campuses recently. Like that "No American flags on Campus - it oppresses non-citizen students!".
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5958 on: April 06, 2015, 03:02:34 pm »
And always in California to boot. The last one was at UC Berkeley, I think.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5959 on: April 06, 2015, 03:04:23 pm »
Yeah, there have been other recent cases of Tumblrina virus infestations erupting in real life on campuses recently. Like that "No American flags on Campus - it oppresses non-citizen students!".
Snopes pointed out the ban didn't actually stay that "No American flags allowed on campus"
http://www.snopes.com/politics/education/ucirvine.asp

Another possibility here is that the students were actually protesting something like racial discrimination in grading and this was clickbaitified into "Students protest teacher who gave bad grade".

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5960 on: April 06, 2015, 07:20:52 pm »
I'd be more than able to believe either one of those possibilities, really. Clickbait happens all the time, but on the other hand... radflakes are getting bolder and bolder.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5961 on: April 06, 2015, 07:45:19 pm »

...These fucking otherkin...

...What.

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5962 on: April 07, 2015, 12:25:35 am »
http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/education-2/this-ucla-professor-called-racist-for-the-horrible-thing-he-did-to-a-black-student

THIS HORRIBLE PROFESSOR DARED TO CORRECT THE GRAMMAR USED BY A POC!!!

Really, that is all he did. A student returned a paper that had grammatical errors so the professor corrected the errors (and presumably docked some points) and as a result 25 activists staged a protest against him.

It's a bit more complicated than that. They aren't objecting to grammatical errors being corrected, their objection is that they don't think the alleged errors were such, but rather a reflection of ideological differences. The one example given is on whether you should capitalise Indigenous*. The other thing mentioned is that the professor wanted papers in the form of Chicago Manual of Style and some students wanted APA style because it is more commonly used in the social sciences. I don't know if this is representative of the general type of errors discussed.

There is also the claim that this is just one thing of many and they are protesting general policies that discourage a conversation on race or something to that effect.

My view here is that enforcing overly-strict rules on capitalisation and citation styles is pointless bullshit, but also that maybe the way to deal with that pointless bullshit is to just use the citation style the other guy likes because otherwise you're just piling bullshit on bullshit and it's your grade that suffers for it. I have no idea whether the other stuff was deserving of a protest. Students protesting for stupid reasons is a thing**, but also people being unfairly dismissive of student protests.

*capitalised here not because I have any position on the subject, but because I have to write it some way and I flipped a coin.

**it certainly is one of the favourite activities of my student centre, grumble grumble.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5963 on: April 07, 2015, 09:21:28 am »
So, Kylie Jenner posted a picture of herself with silver skin on Instagram, and the Outrage Brigade is calling it "blackface".

https://archive.today/DolRT

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #5964 on: April 07, 2015, 11:26:58 am »
So, Kylie Jenner posted a picture of herself with silver skin on Instagram, and the Outrage Brigade is calling it "blackface".

https://archive.today/DolRT
That does look fairly blackface-ey.
Hold on, what does zegaurd have to say?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:37:23 pm by I am lizard »

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #5965 on: April 07, 2015, 01:12:55 pm »
This Twitter tempest is turning into another What Color is The Dress meltdown.

It looks like a graphite silver with subtle violet tones, to me. The photographer created the effect by using neon and ultraviolet lighting (AKA, "black light" - ha!). I'm no fan of any of the professional celebutards, but Kylie Jenner is stunningly beautiful in these pictures.

Historically racist black face involved very heavy paste or "pancake" makeup, originally made by mixing burnt cork ashes with lard.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #5966 on: April 07, 2015, 02:46:53 pm »
This Twitter tempest is turning into another What Color is The Dress meltdown.

It looks like a graphite silver with subtle violet tones, to me. The photographer created the effect by using neon and ultraviolet lighting (AKA, "black light" - ha!). I'm no fan of any of the professional celebutards, but Kylie Jenner is stunningly beautiful in these pictures.

Historically racist black face involved very heavy paste or "pancake" makeup, originally made by mixing burnt cork ashes with lard.
Ah.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5967 on: April 07, 2015, 05:04:06 pm »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #5968 on: April 07, 2015, 05:32:16 pm »
Any idea what "queer game design structures" are?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5969 on: April 07, 2015, 05:43:18 pm »
"Press F to pay manwhore"