Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1547767 times)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #5970 on: April 07, 2015, 06:11:04 pm »

I have no Idea who Bagnall is, I have no idea what Gone Home is other than that it's a game, I have no idea what reductivist* and negative lenses are or how queer youth are are represented through them, and I have absolutely no idea what the hell "queer game design structures" are.

Seriously, the fuck does that last one mean? Is it when someone sucks ass at modelling a building for a game and you end up with a virtual Leaning Tower of Piza?

If your point is that you want more LGBT characters in games, great. Say it in a way that doesn't come off as bullshit art critique speak.

Tangent: Anyone ever heard of the time someone made a computer program that would take all kinds of big words and arrange them in a semi-coherent manner, and then sent stuff produced by the program to several big art magazines and it ended up being published? The funniest part was that since I had at least a vague idea of what most of the words actually mean, it looked like incoherent gibberish to me.

A similar idea was used to make a Deepak Chopra Tweet generator. It pulls various tweets of his which often use large words that he definitely doesn't know the meaning of, and uses that to base the generated tweets on. It arranges the bits together in ways that half the time are more coherent that Chopra's actual tweets. Of course in makes frequent use of the word "quantum" in stupid ways, as Chopra apparently does himself. How that woo peddler gets so much attention I'll never know.

*Spellcheck wants to correct that to reductionist.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5971 on: April 07, 2015, 09:23:54 pm »
Queer game design structures...?  Sooooo, writing a game in Lisp, then.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5972 on: April 07, 2015, 10:07:41 pm »
I don't know anymore.  I just don't.  There's this subset of people who have become so prissy

Ironbite-and just so upset at times.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5973 on: April 07, 2015, 10:46:34 pm »
Summary: nobody knows what queer game design structures are, but you know that it's terrible that people talk about them...?
Σא

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5974 on: April 07, 2015, 11:41:16 pm »
I'm just trying to figure out exactly what they're trying to say.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5975 on: April 08, 2015, 09:45:21 am »

Ending AIDS?  Feminism.  Ending poverty and hunger?  Feminism.  Increasing economic growth?  Feminism.

It's like for these people, "feminism" is just a buzzword they use for any possible change that they believe to be for the better.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #5976 on: April 08, 2015, 06:08:17 pm »
UP actually increasing female equality, employment and education (you know feminism) has been shown to reduce poverty, reduce prevalence of VD and increased economic growth. Because you know being able to choose who you sleep with and whether a condom is used, reducing birthrates, employing a further 50% of the population and allowing them to get better jobs tends to actually help with all those things.

Just look at the cracker behind Grameen bank in Bangladesh - he basically only lends to women.

Although I thing the answer the card was looking for was 'using condoms'.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5977 on: April 08, 2015, 06:30:57 pm »
UP actually increasing female equality, employment and education (you know feminism) has been shown to reduce poverty, reduce prevalence of VD and increased economic growth. Because you know being able to choose who you sleep with and whether a condom is used, reducing birthrates, employing a further 50% of the population and allowing them to get better jobs tends to actually help with all those things.

Just look at the cracker behind Grameen bank in Bangladesh - he basically only lends to women.

Although I thing the answer the card was looking for was 'using condoms'.

Huh.  I hadn't thought of it that way.  But you gotta admit, it's kind of a roundabout solution.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #5978 on: April 08, 2015, 06:39:47 pm »
No. No I don't.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #5979 on: April 09, 2015, 12:34:27 am »

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5980 on: April 09, 2015, 12:57:51 am »
And here I thought all the Transracials got shooed out.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5981 on: April 09, 2015, 01:42:18 am »
I see some stupid people are still trying to make "transethnicity" a thing.
Who needs a signature?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5982 on: April 09, 2015, 02:23:33 am »
What's next? TransClique?

"I know I'm kind of a boring white girl, but inside, my heart, my mind...is goth / emo. CRAWLIN IN MAH SKIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN!!!!"
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #5983 on: April 09, 2015, 02:28:25 am »
I'm going to ignore the most obvious bit of stupidity there, and instead point out that she thinks she's "transkorean" because she likes kpop. So, since I like jpop, does that make me "transjapanese"?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5984 on: April 09, 2015, 04:37:31 am »
I'm going to ignore the most obvious bit of stupidity there, and instead point out that she thinks she's "transkorean" because she likes kpop. So, since I like jpop, does that make me "transjapanese"?

Either you are transjapanese or you liking Japanese things is cultural appropriation. It is that simple.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!