Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548210 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6120 on: April 29, 2015, 10:37:58 am »
Apparently, yes they do. As in, Absolutely. Go outside and get some fresh air, sunning yourself by your parent's pool, eat the rest of that organic heirloom tomato gazpacho you picked up at Whole Paycheck, and shut the fuck up. Toss your iPhone into the pool while you're at it.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #6121 on: April 29, 2015, 12:43:38 pm »
What really scares me about the whole Baltimore riot is I remember in Gathering Blue there was a song about "The Before Times" that mentioned Baltimore. I need to stop reading dystopian future novels. They make me paranoid.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #6122 on: April 29, 2015, 01:24:40 pm »
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:44:42 pm by I am lizard »

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6123 on: April 29, 2015, 06:06:25 pm »
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6124 on: April 29, 2015, 08:16:50 pm »

Well, should I ever get tired of Black History Month, it's good to know I can avoid it by annoying a squirrel.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #6125 on: April 29, 2015, 08:24:18 pm »
And here's Salon saying the Baltimore riots are okay:

https://archive.is/3xQti

The kicker?  The horrible things they're implying about African-Americans.  Calling violence "black political strategy" feels incredibly racist to me - as if the only way a black person can ever spread a message is through violence.

I think it's more the situation that we put a lot of inner city black people in: we don't give them the resources to articulate a proper complaint with the system. We don't give them the education they as a people need to get advanced degrees and work through the political system that we magically expect them to. Hell, inner city high schools are so bad, that many of them cannot even get a high school degree that so many of us take for granted. And then, we as a society treat the issue as "might makes right," and we send in police and national guardsmen to deal with unrest while failing to listen to their message of oppression, instead strawmanning them as violent and preaching to them that "Dr. King wouldn't do this."

And, of course, the real problem with all of this is the selectivity that the American people apply peaceful discourse to. When the police beat Fred Grey to death, when the police shot Michael Brown and Tamir Rice, when the police choked Eric Garner to death, when the Baltimore police slammed a pregnant woman or tackled a 90 year old woman... the cries for peace were practically nonexistent. Hell, more recently we saw Ferguson police commit a number of abuses on the citizens and nobody made the same cry for peace. Only now, after a group of people who have been harassed by the Baltimore police force rise up and riot, does society ask for peace.

And that is not to say that riots are productive or prudent, but this selective cry for peace is really just a call for the marginalized in society to accept and enjoy their lot in life. After all, when white people riot, nobody makes the same condemnation for their destruction (Anaheim Surfers, Pumpkin growers in New Hampshire, 1993 Chicago Bulls victory, 2013 Ravens victory in Baltimore, I could go on). And this selectivity is the cornerstone of modern day racism in this country: a preference for one group combined with a skepticism of others.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #6126 on: April 29, 2015, 10:00:21 pm »
Perfectly erudite as always. Thanks, Queen.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6127 on: April 29, 2015, 11:12:44 pm »
Fair points, Your Highness.  However, I think you're overestimating Middle America's apathy.  Especially when it comes to the youth.  Already, we're seeing changes.  A new civil rights movement is underway even as I type this.

Furthermore, while racism is definitely holding African-Americans back, that alone doesn't explain why they seem to be having so much trouble.  Immigrants from Southeast Asia were arguably even more handicapped than African-Americans when they started coming to America, and yet they suffer less from social ills in most of the United States.  Or, if you want to turn back the clock even further, you can look at Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, Chinese-Americans and the like.  I'm sure that, given enough time, the current wave of Latino immigrants will follow the same pattern.  Even now, I see Latino-Americans starting to make strides.

And it's not as if anti-black racism is somehow stronger or more harmful, or societal difficulties somehow hurt them more.  Look at black immigrants from Africa, South America, and the Caribbean.  While first- and second-generation black immigrants compose a tiny percentage of the American black population, they're overrepresented at top universities and in the annals of commerce.  Does this mean that African-Americans are inherently inferior?  Certainly not.  But in my opinion, this is something worth examining. 

To conclude, nothing is as simple as the pundits make it out to be.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #6128 on: April 29, 2015, 11:40:18 pm »
1. Changes like a cop who shot an unarmed, fleeing man on video has the vague possibility of going to jail. Or the LAPD got slightly better after the third biggest racial riot in U.S. History.

2. Yes, I can rember how Asians were enslaved for hundreds and years in America.

3. anti-black racism is totally more harmfull

And what the fuck are you trying to say? That its black peoples fault for being poor?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 02:46:30 am by I am lizard »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6129 on: April 29, 2015, 11:49:55 pm »
You know, maybe this deserves its own thread.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:59:49 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #6130 on: April 30, 2015, 02:41:36 am »
You know, maybe this deserves its own thread.

Done.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6131 on: April 30, 2015, 10:00:05 am »
Back to the subject at hand:

Except that Everybody Loves Raymond is an ironic title.  Raymond's life is awful.  His father is a jerk, his mother is manipulative, his brother is always envious of him and blames him for his own problems, his wife constantly berates him for the smallest things, his brother's wife is a loudmouth, his in-laws are rich snobs, and his "friends" are a bunch of douchebags.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6132 on: April 30, 2015, 10:14:24 am »
And Everybody Hates Chris is about Everybody hating Chris.

Ironbite-there's no irony in that title.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6133 on: April 30, 2015, 11:15:38 am »

If you keep telling people they are monsters, there are really four potential results:

1) You're right, and they are monsters, in which case you've done nothing to change their minds (besides maybe draw their attention).

2) You're wrong, and they were sympathetic, but you've just insulted them and possibly turned them against you.

3) You're wrong, but they're so full of guilt for accidents of their birth that they believe you, in which case you've wasted a lot of effort to change nothing.

4) You're wrong, but you convince them they really are monsters, and they think they might as well start acting like it.

Two of those change nothing, and two lead to a situation being worse than it was before you started talking.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #6134 on: April 30, 2015, 11:37:30 am »
Self-appointed hallway tone monitor of social justice movements. All of 'em, it seems.