Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1547389 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6165 on: May 06, 2015, 12:59:12 pm »
Hell hounds?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6166 on: May 06, 2015, 02:35:29 pm »
https://archive.is/kuUb8

Is having a loving family an unfair advantage?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A6_9Jk2djY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A6_9Jk2djY</a>

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6167 on: May 06, 2015, 09:10:40 pm »
Did you read the entire article first?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #6168 on: May 07, 2015, 08:17:22 am »
From Kickme444, a reddit admin:

We have a problem right now where there are people/communities that exist under the "freedom of expression" point, that do not create a safe space to encourage participation.
The order of these points is important and a safe space to have discourse is of the upmost importance to reddit. We are working on changes to make reddit a safer space for discourse.

Yeah.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6169 on: May 07, 2015, 09:28:19 am »
Did you read the entire article first?

Someone linked it to me yesterday, and I sort of gave up halfway through because gaaaaaaah. I read it through now, and it doesn't improve.

The basic problem is that it's treating "reducing inequality" as a terminal goal. Which I think is a mistake: the fact that some people have it better than others is a problem, but a problem that you should try to solve in the specific direction of improving the lives of those that are worse off. They suggest the opposite: family helps some people a lot, and that's unfair, so they propose... banning some of the things that help people, thus leaving everyone worse off. But at least we reduced unfairness!

And their criteria is bullshit. You are "allowed" to read a book to your kids, because that fosters "familial relationships goods", but not send your kids to private school, because that doesn't. Even though they both fail their unfairness test!

At that point the uncharitable reading is basically that they are attacking what they can get away with. "Let's ban reading books to your kids" sounds too much like a cheap YA novel dystopia, so instead let's target private schooling, which is the sort of thing those rich elitist assholes do. Do you like rich elitist assholes? Didn't think so.

And sure, there's shitloads of things to criticise about rich people, but that they want to give their kids a good education is not one of them.

(the steelman here is to argue that private schooling is a positional good, which only gives advantages to some people to the extent it harms others, but they don't bother to make that argument and I don't think it's true, so I can't give them points for it)
Σא

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6170 on: May 07, 2015, 12:22:55 pm »
From Kickme444, a reddit admin:

We have a problem right now where there are people/communities that exist under the "freedom of expression" point, that do not create a safe space to encourage participation.
The order of these points is important and a safe space to have discourse is of the upmost importance to reddit. We are working on changes to make reddit a safer space for discourse.

Yeah.

How is this a WSJ?  This is something that has plagued the internet for a long time now,

Ironbite-unless you're equating "safe space" with "NO DISCUSSION!" in which case you might want to reexamine yourself.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6171 on: May 07, 2015, 06:30:45 pm »
Does every place on a website need to be a "safe space"?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6172 on: May 07, 2015, 07:42:28 pm »
I gotta admit, I never thought I'd see reddit of all places described as a "safe space". What's next, making 4chan a "safe space for discourse"?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6173 on: May 07, 2015, 08:30:16 pm »
I gotta admit, I never thought I'd see reddit of all places described as a "safe space". What's next, making 4chan a "safe space for discourse"?

It's on its way there already.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6174 on: May 07, 2015, 08:58:54 pm »
How utterly bothersome.

Half the fun of hanging around Tumblr is messing with the snowflakes.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #6175 on: May 08, 2015, 12:44:43 am »
And this is a bad thing... how? Like what, do you like it better when places like 4chan are full of doxxing and leaked nudes, or when reddit has subbreddits like /r/deadniggers?

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #6176 on: May 08, 2015, 12:53:50 am »
What the hell are you people taking about?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6177 on: May 08, 2015, 12:55:13 am »
How utterly bothersome.

Half the fun of hanging around Tumblr is messing with the snowflakes.

I don't think I will ever truly understand why some people enjoy trolling. I mean, literally getting joy from making other people angry or sad.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6178 on: May 08, 2015, 12:56:14 am »
And this is a bad thing... how? Like what, do you like it better when places like 4chan are full of doxxing and leaked nudes, or when reddit has subbreddits like /r/deadniggers?

Do I like it?  Of course not.  But I believe that free speech is a necessity, as long as it doesn't actively cause harm.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #6179 on: May 08, 2015, 01:29:32 am »

Do I like it?  Of course not.  But I believe that free speech is a necessity, as long as it doesn't actively cause harm.
Reddit already censors free speach, almost every sub has guidelines, it's why I can't just post a fanfic about spongebob getting raped by bugs bunny on /r/chihuahua. Free speach is only legally guaranteed by the goverment. If a website needs to purge itself of assholery then they should do so, otherwise the site just attracts more horrible poeple and eventually the whole site is a shithole.

Also, I'm pretty sure doxxing or leaking nudes can harm people.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:24:03 am by I am lizard »