Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1547928 times)

Offline WatermelonRat

• Apprentice
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6240 on: May 19, 2015, 08:19:12 pm »
Just read that article, I think context is important here. It's not NEARLY as bad as it sounds if you stopped reading at that line.
No, it's much worse. If he were straight up calling whites subhuman, I wouldn't be nearly as appalled by it. The philosophy espoused in this article effectively reduces people to little more than their identity. It treats individualism and self-determination as illusions, so that all you are is an extension of your assigned collective identity. Thus, it's perfectly fair and natural for you to bear blood guilt for your identity's sins.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6241 on: May 20, 2015, 05:11:32 am »
Re: HIV

This just came to my attention and since by coincidence the issue just was discussed here I thought it might interest people. Calling the ignorance about the current situation with HIV serophobia might be a bit silly but it's true that the modern medicine makes it possible to live a pretty much normal life with the virus. The situation in the third world is a completely different issue, naturally.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/javiermoreno/an-hiv-positive-man-took-a-photo-with-his-hiv-negative-wife#.xwzAVZOrb

The 33-year-old has been HIV positive since birth after the disease was passed on from his parents, who died from AIDS complications when he was still a child, the local NBC affiliate reported.

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #6242 on: May 20, 2015, 05:13:15 pm »
Re: HIV

This just came to my attention and since by coincidence the issue just was discussed here I thought it might interest people. Calling the ignorance about the current situation with HIV serophobia might be a bit silly but it's true that the modern medicine makes it possible to live a pretty much normal life with the virus. The situation in the third world is a completely different issue, naturally.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/javiermoreno/an-hiv-positive-man-took-a-photo-with-his-hiv-negative-wife#.xwzAVZOrb

The 33-year-old has been HIV positive since birth after the disease was passed on from his parents, who died from AIDS complications when he was still a child, the local NBC affiliate reported.

Noticing that all three kids are red-headed like Mom.....

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6243 on: May 20, 2015, 05:33:27 pm »
Yeah the red headed gene does tend to dominate things.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6244 on: May 20, 2015, 07:04:08 pm »
It is like a particularly horrible, family-deforming curse.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6245 on: May 20, 2015, 07:12:09 pm »
See this is the reason we can't be friends niam.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6246 on: May 20, 2015, 07:25:18 pm »

And they call me self-centered.

And of course what post would be complete without some otherkin fantasizing about somehow getting together.

And to finish things off, a page from a really bad webcomic.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #6247 on: May 20, 2015, 07:37:27 pm »

And they call me self-centered.
It doesn't really seem that bad if you ignore the "ace people suffered more!" domtext.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6248 on: May 21, 2015, 02:04:22 am »
How does one manage to have children and not transmit HIV? In general, the way to prevent transmission is to avoid unprotected sex, but to have children you typically need to be having unprotected sex.

Am I missing something here?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6249 on: May 21, 2015, 03:25:48 am »
How does one manage to have children and not transmit HIV? In general, the way to prevent transmission is to avoid unprotected sex, but to have children you typically need to be having unprotected sex.

Medication. Modern HIV & AIDS medication reduces chance of spreading the disease, and the odds are quite low originally as well. ...Not that taking the chance would be smart without them.

Even giving birth with HIV is possible without infecting the baby.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #6250 on: May 21, 2015, 03:54:23 am »

Either in-vitro fecundation (though I'm not 100% sure if that'd work that well), or else the fact that he is treated makes for very low transmission rate, even when having unprotected sex, enough that it seems to be reasonable to try and have kids that way.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #6251 on: May 21, 2015, 06:01:43 am »

Either in-vitro fecundation (though I'm not 100% sure if that'd work that well), or else the fact that he is treated makes for very low transmission rate, even when having unprotected sex, enough that it seems to be reasonable to try and have kids that way.

Yay for the third world actually knowing about this stuff.
It is entirely possible for HIV infected mothers to give birth to uninfected babies. The placental barrier that keeps the mothers immune system from killing the parasite that is the baby is also the same thing that prevents the baby from becoming infected while during development. If the mother is on anti-retroviral medication the chance of transmission becomes incredibly small. The primary danger period is in the last few weeks before birth and during birth where the baby can become infected.

There has been a massive call for state hospitals to provide anti-retroviral medicine for pregnant mothers to reduce mother to child transmission all over the third world. It is a big topic although it does not deal with all the issues like how the treatment is only for pregnant mothers during pregnancy which results in a large number of orphans, as well as the fact that the baby can become infected from drinking their mothers breast milk. This is also why in the third world breast milk donations are first in such short supply and secondly desperately needed.

The actual transmission rate for HIV is statistically low compared to other sexually transmitted diseases. The type of sexual act influences the chance of transmission with the recipient of penis in anus and penis in vagina being the highest. Both of these rates are lower than 50% per encounter, but I believe penis in anus is about 30% so still kind of high. Being male dramatically reduces your chance of contracting HIV with Penis in vagina probably only being as high as about 10% at most.

However, like all statistics, relying on them is like playing Russian roulette. Play enough and you will loose, and some poor souls loose on the first try. Which is why protection is important. Lastly, for those who are HIV infected, having unprotected sex with other HIV infected people is dangerous. Common sense would have you think that once you are infected there is nothing more that the virus can do to you, but you can get infected again with another mutation of the virus, making treatment less effective and increasing the rate at which the virus kills you.

Lastly. Anti-retroviral medicines basically kill off all the virus actively in your bloodstream. It is pretty close to a cure in many ways, unfortunately the virus infects the bone marrow where new cells are produced and where the anti-retroiral medicine cannot touch it. This results in viral resevours that can "re-infect" the person at any time. This is also why that one guy in Europe who had a rare form of leukemia was able to receive a bone marrow transplant that cured him of HIV. It can be done, but it currently requires rare circumstances and a huge amount of effort and cost.

I hope that was informative.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #6252 on: May 21, 2015, 08:15:06 am »
I believe another article stated that all the children were the result of IVF, so they likely avoid unprotected sex as well.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6253 on: May 21, 2015, 11:26:29 am »
...I remember a certain radio personality that complained about the cheap healthcare in Finland when he found out that HIV positive people get their medication for free and it allows them to live a pretty much "normal" life. He felt that it means that there is "no reason" to use a condom since there is no seeming downside to being HIV positive and these damn freeloaders are using our tax money to stay healthy.

...Anyway, HIV does have really low chances of spreading unless there is blood contact and unfortunately anal sex is one of the riskiest things that cause HIV to spread. Which is why it did so much damage to the gay community. Yet again our lesson is: Use a condom.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #6254 on: May 21, 2015, 02:24:43 pm »

"Feel the wind under our winds"?
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!