Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1547447 times)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6315 on: May 31, 2015, 11:00:03 pm »

Not everyone feels the need to put their pronouns in their about.
Honestly, I don't understand why that bothers you.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6316 on: May 31, 2015, 11:01:15 pm »
There is some truth in this. There's a psychological phenomenon (I'm too lazy to look for the correct name for it right now) that describes how people tend to internalize negative expectations. In mixed classrooms the pupils are often subjected to gendered stereotypes that cause for example girls to internalize that they aren't as good in mathematical subjects as boys and as a result they don't put as much effort to these subjects strengthening the stereotype. In girls only schools the girls have better results in mathematical subjects when there isn't as much pressure to conform to this stereotype. The boys on the other hand aren't expected to behave as "nice" as girls and thus their general school success suffers.

It's called stereotype threat. It's not clear it's a real thing (there are some failures to replicate, etc.) but that's about standard for social psychology. Either way, yeah, studies exist. "Studies exist" is a pretty low bar, but that's the claim she made and so that's the bar she has to clear.

I actually find it quite surprising she'd be willing to say segregation might have positive effects, I assumed that was SJ taboo. But then there are moves towards segregationist-ish things from the opposite end in some SJ circles, so who knows.
Σא

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6317 on: May 31, 2015, 11:09:04 pm »

Not everyone feels the need to put their pronouns in their about.
Honestly, I don't understand why that bothers you.

I know cis people who put their pronouns in their abouts and trans people who don't. My about contains just my age.

Also, I'm totally a B+ INTJ/P Ravenclaw Aries.
Σא

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #6318 on: June 01, 2015, 06:47:27 pm »
I'm betting Anita could tweet about how the sky is blue and it's a wonderful days and her detractors would find something wrong with such a statement.

Ironbite-how is it that one woman has threatened such a vast amount of people simply by stating a viewpoint?

Oh, are you hinting that yesterday was NOT a wonderful day? And why are you so obsessed with the color of the sky? SKY COLOR SHOULD NOT MATTTERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6319 on: June 01, 2015, 07:10:44 pm »
I'm betting Anita could tweet about how the sky is blue and it's a wonderful days and her detractors would find something wrong with such a statement.

Ironbite-how is it that one woman has threatened such a vast amount of people simply by stating a viewpoint?

Oh, are you hinting that yesterday was NOT a wonderful day? And why are you so obsessed with the color of the sky? SKY COLOR SHOULD NOT MATTTERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

I'm just the moderate concerned about ethics in accurately describing sky color. Don't confuse me with the extremists I'm always giving cover to.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6320 on: June 01, 2015, 07:36:36 pm »
I love you guys.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6321 on: June 01, 2015, 09:08:17 pm »
Okay, let's take a moment and pretend that segregation does let girls and racial minorities get better grades.  Is it worth it?  I'd say no.  Why?  Because it would lead to the exacerbation of divisions.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6322 on: June 01, 2015, 10:47:46 pm »
Just gonna assume that UP is once again missing the forest for the tree he's barking up.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6323 on: June 01, 2015, 11:41:19 pm »
Okay, let's take a moment and pretend that segregation does let girls and racial minorities get better grades.  Is it worth it?  I'd say no.  Why?  Because it would lead to the exacerbation of divisions.

Probably true. It's a good thing nobody said "Let's segregate schools!", then.
Σא

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #6324 on: June 02, 2015, 01:20:31 am »
There is some truth in this. There's a psychological phenomenon (I'm too lazy to look for the correct name for it right now) that describes how people tend to internalize negative expectations. In mixed classrooms the pupils are often subjected to gendered stereotypes that cause for example girls to internalize that they aren't as good in mathematical subjects as boys and as a result they don't put as much effort to these subjects strengthening the stereotype. In girls only schools the girls have better results in mathematical subjects when there isn't as much pressure to conform to this stereotype. The boys on the other hand aren't expected to behave as "nice" as girls and thus their general school success suffers.

It's called stereotype threat. It's not clear it's a real thing (there are some failures to replicate, etc.) but that's about standard for social psychology. Either way, yeah, studies exist. "Studies exist" is a pretty low bar, but that's the claim she made and so that's the bar she has to clear.

I actually find it quite surprising she'd be willing to say segregation might have positive effects, I assumed that was SJ taboo. But then there are moves towards segregationist-ish things from the opposite end in some SJ circles, so who knows.

A few pages back we had a SJW and a Neonazi agreeing with each other. The horseshoe is starting to become a circle.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6325 on: June 02, 2015, 08:59:20 am »

This is like watching an abusive relationship.

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #6326 on: June 02, 2015, 06:55:13 pm »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6327 on: June 04, 2015, 09:40:41 am »

I don't know if this asshole is telling the truth or just being an Internet Badass, but they're a scumbag either way.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:45:20 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #6328 on: June 04, 2015, 11:38:02 am »
The responder is referencing a story someone on tumblr posted about how he and a friend were walking somewhere when a "bus full of trans people wearing 'Die Cis Scum' shirts jumped out and beat them up".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6329 on: June 04, 2015, 03:11:23 pm »

"People with tons of kintypes are 100% just as valid as any other member of the otherkin community."

I couldn't agree more.  They're all equally invalid.