Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548266 times)

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6480 on: June 29, 2015, 06:32:03 pm »
So we're right back to hating the gays. Ah, gotta love Tumblr.

It's Japanese, most likely butchered, and I think it's "I hate them" and "I'll kill them."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "desu" considered a word of politeness? Kind of like saying "I hate you, sir. I would like to murder you if you wouldn't mind terribly."

"Excuse me, but would you be put out if I ended your life?  I know it seems like a bother, I know, but it needs to be done sooner or later, and I have chose to opt for sooner."

LOL!

Murderous rage is not an excuse for rudeness!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6481 on: June 29, 2015, 06:53:27 pm »

It's Japanese, most likely butchered, and I think it's "I hate them" and "I'll kill them."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "desu" considered a word of politeness? Kind of like saying "I hate you, sir. I would like to murder you if you wouldn't mind terribly."

"Excuse me, but would you be put out if I ended your life?  I know it seems like a bother, I know, but it needs to be done sooner or later, and I have chose to opt for sooner."

Mind if I defeat you?  Can't hear you!

Ironbite-meh...I pefer "MY STRENGTH HAS MADE YOU CRY!" *cracks neck* "DRY YOUR TEARS WITH THIS!"

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6482 on: June 29, 2015, 07:28:08 pm »
"Excuse me sir, but if you don't mind I would like to massacre you and your entire family. It won't take too long and I won't make it inconvenient. You just need to rot in the earth and become food for worms. Thanks and goodbye!"
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #6483 on: June 29, 2015, 07:54:16 pm »
Excuse me, but I was wondering if it's alright if I hold you down against your will for a bit?

According to Wikipedia...

Desu, a Japanese copula (です), or word used to grammatically link a subject and predicate, often translated into English using the verb "it is/ to be"

And it's more formal than "da."
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:56:59 pm by Solar Pendra »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6484 on: June 30, 2015, 01:12:32 am »

Anime and manga characters often end their speech/sentence with some word or phrase. This is done to show their character or simply as a joke. You will find numerous servant type characters (maid in particular) as well as polite older or "old fashioned" characters use the "desu" ending. Rurouni Kenshin (nice and polite samurai) for example says the desu often. (The character is much more complex than that, but relevant to this discussion: his use of the word desu ALL THE TIME is meant as a example of how he is polite.)

Likewise if you have a character that is a talking cat then every single phrase it says ends with the equivalent of "meow." And "Fairy tail" made a joke about it by having a crab-man appear and everyone had expected him to end his sentences with "crab" but instead he used the name of some other animal, because they were joking with the joke by subverting it.

Now that I think about it, Mahou Sensei Negima also joked with this. There was a character that hadn't said a word in most of the series and when she started talking all her sentences ended with "pokyo" (or something like that) and the characters debated whether that was weird or just part of her being a "odd/cute character." ...Then she started accidentally using other words and people realized that she was just playing around.

Translators usually leave it out because it would sound extremely silly to non-japanese, but my point is that the "desu" bit is a anime/manga trope that really does not translate well. In this case being polite while giving out death threats is the equivalent of a dude in fedora and leather coat tipping his hat and going "my lady" because he thinks it makes him look cool.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #6485 on: June 30, 2015, 06:16:48 am »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6486 on: June 30, 2015, 08:29:48 am »
Try and stop us :) our colonization game too strong, son!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6487 on: June 30, 2015, 09:33:46 am »

Granted, this seems really over the top, so it might be a troll.  On the other hand, Poe's law.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6488 on: June 30, 2015, 09:55:54 am »
The sad part is that #3 and #6 are completely agreeable.  #7 is a bit extreme, I'd just have them politely ignored.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6489 on: June 30, 2015, 01:27:17 pm »
Huh, never knew strawmen went to school.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #6490 on: June 30, 2015, 06:17:38 pm »
She did her thing as she had to. Classic political protest, not a "heckler" incident. She knew she would get kicked out, and most importantly, knew what she was saying about unfair deportations would be reported in the press and heard in the video. I found it kind of sad that people in the room were "shushing" her, supposedly her fellow LGBTQ activists. What she did was very brave in the face of all that. Under Obama's and the Republican-dominated Congress' tenure we have seen record deportations and other bad actions in re immigration, and things are vastly more difficult for LGBTQ immigrants.

You said it very well. I think her actions should be in the best of social justice. Yeah, her impassioned speech was imprudent: so is any call for civil rights. Dr. King said it best that no oppressor has ever graciously given up his power without the oppressed causing a ruckus.

And worst of all, 46 years after the Stonewall Riots (almost to the day), we've forgotten that one of the most prominent voices to come from Stonewall and to shape the modern day LGBTQ (also known as "the LGbt movement") was a latina transwoman heckler. Instead, many white, cis, gay, men have happily traded their status of being oppressed in favor of being oppressors.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6491 on: June 30, 2015, 06:42:55 pm »
She did her thing as she had to. Classic political protest, not a "heckler" incident. She knew she would get kicked out, and most importantly, knew what she was saying about unfair deportations would be reported in the press and heard in the video. I found it kind of sad that people in the room were "shushing" her, supposedly her fellow LGBTQ activists. What she did was very brave in the face of all that. Under Obama's and the Republican-dominated Congress' tenure we have seen record deportations and other bad actions in re immigration, and things are vastly more difficult for LGBTQ immigrants.

You said it very well. I think her actions should be in the best of social justice. Yeah, her impassioned speech was imprudent: so is any call for civil rights. Dr. King said it best that no oppressor has ever graciously given up his power without the oppressed causing a ruckus.

And worst of all, 46 years after the Stonewall Riots (almost to the day), we've forgotten that one of the most prominent voices to come from Stonewall and to shape the modern day LGBTQ (also known as "the LGbt movement") was a latina transwoman heckler. Instead, many white, cis, gay, men have happily traded their status of being oppressed in favor of being oppressors.

1.  There's reason to believe that the "Transgender Stonewall" story is a myth:

http://igfculturewatch.com/2002/03/07/the-myth-of-a-transgender-stonewall/

2.  Difference is, she wasn't marching across a bridge, she was interrupting the President!  I don't doubt that she had the best of intentions, but complaining about her being kicked out is complete nonsense.  Anybody would get kicked out if they did that!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6492 on: June 30, 2015, 07:13:57 pm »
This point does not deny that drag queens participated in the riot. They did.

Also, UP, interrupting an elected official at a press conference or public speech to shout out a protest statement for the crowd and press to hear - and maybe even get a comment from the pol - has been a common form of non-violent protest the world over since forever. Obama is paid well enough, and is experienced enough, to handle a critical shout out. I don't like the way he handled that one though. He could have answered her and had a brief meaningful dialog, but immigration is political dice rolling, and he crapped out by trying to act cool and bitchy - "You're in my house". No. The White House belongs to the nation. Any sitting President is answerable to any citizen. Public Service, UP.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 05:44:13 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6493 on: June 30, 2015, 08:59:25 pm »
This point does not deny that drag queens participated in the riot. They did.

Also, UP, interrupting an elected official at a press conference or public speech to shout out a protest statement for the crowd and press to hear - and maybe even get a comment from the pol - has been a common form of non-violent protest the world over since forever. Obama is paid well enough, and is experienced enough, to handle a critical shout out. I don't like the way he handled that one though. He could have answered her and had a brief meaningful dialog, but immigration is political dice rolling, and he copped out by trying to act cool and bitchy - "You're in my house". No. The White House belongs to the nation. Any sitting President is answerable to any citizen. Public Service, UP.

I never claimed that trans people weren't involved in Stonewall, just that their role may have been exaggerated.

As for the rest, I guess you have a point.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6494 on: July 01, 2015, 05:32:40 pm »

"I'll disprove your accusation that I'm a Nazi by advocating genocide!"