Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1547962 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6540 on: July 08, 2015, 06:42:33 pm »
And now radflakes have an actual death on their hands:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/civil-servant-commits-suicide-after-facebook-accusations-of-racism/

That article may have glossed over details I'm unaware of but it sounds like he never made a public apology about the alleged incident. If there's something people should learn in communications class, it's that you sometimes have to swallow your pride and apologize over a perceived slight instead of doubling down.

It's unfortunate that he ended up committing suicide but he kept on doubling down and escalating what otherwise may have been a manageable situation.

This is... if not exactly victim blaming, pretty fucking close.

Call-out culture, public shaming and associated memes where huge bunches of people online harass an individual over a real or perceived case of racism/sexism/etc. are possibly the worst thing to come out of the social justice movement. They are not constructive in the least, at best they lead to effective censorship and at worst they lead to cases like this.

The answer to this is not "well, he should have faked an apology even though he didn't mean it". First, because that's not really too effective anyway, apologising does not reliably end the harassment. Second, because it fucks up the discourse norms and places certain positions beyond public disagreement. Third, because it creates perverse incentives for every group to organise themselves into massive "I'm offended" campaigns.

The answer, hopefully, would be getting rid of the idea that everyone needs to start sending messages to Designated-Target-#473565 about how horrible they are until they cry publicly in self-flagellation or kill themselves (or someone else comes up and the effort is redirected). It's an awful dynamic, and the sooner it ends the better for everyone.
Σא

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6541 on: July 08, 2015, 06:54:34 pm »
And now radflakes have an actual death on their hands:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/civil-servant-commits-suicide-after-facebook-accusations-of-racism/

That article may have glossed over details I'm unaware of but it sounds like he never made a public apology about the alleged incident. If there's something people should learn in communications class, it's that you sometimes have to swallow your pride and apologize over a perceived slight instead of doubling down.

It's unfortunate that he ended up committing suicide but he kept on doubling down and escalating what otherwise may have been a manageable situation.

This is... if not exactly victim blaming, pretty fucking close.

Call-out culture, public shaming and associated memes where huge bunches of people online harass an individual over a real or perceived case of racism/sexism/etc. are possibly the worst thing to come out of the social justice movement. They are not constructive in the least, at best they lead to effective censorship and at worst they lead to cases like this.

The answer to this is not "well, he should have faked an apology even though he didn't mean it". First, because that's not really too effective anyway, apologising does not reliably end the harassment. Second, because it fucks up the discourse norms and places certain positions beyond public disagreement. Third, because it creates perverse incentives for every group to organise themselves into massive "I'm offended" campaigns.

The answer, hopefully, would be getting rid of the idea that everyone needs to start sending messages to Designated-Target-#473565 about how horrible they are until they cry publicly in self-flagellation or kill themselves (or someone else comes up and the effort is redirected). It's an awful dynamic, and the sooner it ends the better for everyone.

another reason why sigma's the admin.

ironchew's dander is up today, what happened, bud? you're more vitriolic than usual. i'm on ultie's and sigma's side on this one. pushing someone to suicide is "fuck no, automatically makes you wrong" territory, even when it could potentially be justified. the guy was doing his thing, then a massive campaign rises to ruin his life? that's not social justice, that's mob mentality.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6542 on: July 09, 2015, 01:59:19 am »

Yay for social justice warriors who have no sense of humour...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #6543 on: July 09, 2015, 06:34:32 am »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6544 on: July 09, 2015, 07:25:38 am »
And facts are nothing more than a heteronazi conspiracy.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6545 on: July 09, 2015, 09:51:25 am »
MFA Boston cancelled a Monet exhibition because radflakes deemed it "vile racism" and "culturally insensitive".

https://archive.is/GQSxe

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6546 on: July 09, 2015, 10:28:20 am »
MFA Boston cancelled a Monet exhibition because radflakes deemed it "vile racism" and "culturally insensitive".

https://archive.is/GQSxe

to be fair, the exhibition called for showing some monet paintings, most notably "la japonaise", aka monet's wife wearing a kimono, while giving the possibility to museum goers of trying on a replica kimono. the radflakes have called that culturally insensitive (nevermind that the japanese public had no problems with it), and so what is cancelled is the wearing of the kimono, being replaced instead by exposing the kimono in question (but not the ability to try it on). it's really silly, and racist of the radflakes.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6547 on: July 09, 2015, 05:16:16 pm »
Another instance of Tumblrina contagion spreading out in real life.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6548 on: July 09, 2015, 06:23:45 pm »
An actual Japanese person weighs in:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwoSYWIgV9Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwoSYWIgV9Y</a>

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6549 on: July 09, 2015, 06:51:54 pm »
i watched the video, and they're right. it's as stupid as saying it's cultural appropriation from the basques for wearing a beret. oh wait, the basques don't count because they're white. i swear, tumblrinas and sjw's have become as racist as the guys they were trying to fight originally.

if i'm going to the desert, i'll wear a djellabah because it's proper hot-weather attire, not because i'm trying to become kabil or berber or touareg. i'll wear a kimono if the situation calls for it (that, and they look comfortable).

is it cultural appropriation for me to wear cowboy boots, a neck lace and leather chaps since i'm not american? would anyone be offended? nope, they'd just say "die cis scum shitlord, you're triggering me with your pro-americanism" or something. they're pathetic, and diluting the impact of social justice by bickering about details.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #6550 on: July 09, 2015, 08:38:09 pm »
My sister was gifted with a kimono by a Japanese high school class when her class visited Japan.  I guess the Japanese were too stupid to realize that they were encouraging the appropriation of their own culture./sarcasm

On a funnier note, I think there actually is a subculture in Japan that's obsessed with cowboys and the American Wild West.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6551 on: July 09, 2015, 09:00:50 pm »
In my opinion unless it's a special religious garment or something that is really culturally significant (like certain marriage kimonos that have a special connotation) I say cloths can be worn by anyone, the idea that wearing some cloths is cultural appropriation is a weird thing since some cases it's true (like a hipster wearing native American head dresses) but other times it's just BS (like a white person wearing a kimono or a cheongsam)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6552 on: July 09, 2015, 10:57:12 pm »
My sister was gifted with a kimono by a Japanese high school class when her class visited Japan.  I guess the Japanese were too stupid to realize that they were encouraging the appropriation of their own culture./sarcasm

On a funnier note, I think there actually is a subculture in Japan that's obsessed with cowboys and the American Wild West.

Ironbite-no clue what you're talking about.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6553 on: July 09, 2015, 11:15:42 pm »
The Wild West...in a way that would only ever make sense coming from Japan.  Sounds about right.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6554 on: July 09, 2015, 11:24:25 pm »
Second picture is of a Ninja btw.