Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548295 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6975 on: September 18, 2015, 03:24:48 pm »
Mozambique still has the best "flag with a weapon" https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/Flag_of_Mozambique.svg/2000px-Flag_of_Mozambique.svg.png

"Green stands for the riches of the land, the white fimbriations signify peace, black represents the African continent, yellow symbolizes the country's minerals, and red represents the struggle for independence. The rifle stands for defence and vigilance, the open book symbolizes the importance of education, the hoe represents the country's agriculture, and the star symbolizes Marxism and internationalism."

Or as I would have put it: "AK47s and hoes for everybody! ...Also books."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6976 on: September 18, 2015, 04:50:22 pm »

Even Then

« Reply #6977 on: September 18, 2015, 04:51:48 pm »
The tweets aren't actually visible in the article.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6978 on: September 18, 2015, 05:07:00 pm »
The tweets aren't actually visible in the article.

Funny, I can see them.

Even Then

« Reply #6979 on: September 18, 2015, 05:18:39 pm »
I tried again and they're there. Huh.

Anyway, I honestly think they have a point. Talking about the issue with Texan schools is not the same as "stereotyping" Texas.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #6980 on: September 18, 2015, 09:05:05 pm »
Yeah, Texas is powerful. It has massive economic, political, and educational (many textbook companies are based in Texas, and so are influenced by state policy) influence. And most of the impact has been negative. When a kid in, say California if arrested for being a Texan with a clock, then the comparison is valid.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6981 on: September 18, 2015, 09:17:15 pm »
quick question about the flags. in the lower right-hand corner, there is this:

i plan on making a separate list for, bdsm and fetish, as well as furry terms and their flags.

my question is: why? bdsm practitioners already have their own symbols, including but not limited to the d-ring and the tryskellion, most fetishists prefer that their preferred kink not be known to others, and furries... well, they already have fursonas. whaddaya gonna do? put a beefcake fox on a flag? it would be (even more) ridiculous than furry orgies in their costumes, as parodied by csi: las vegas.

perhaps i'm missing the point. perhaps this is a waste of time.

maybe it's stupid, maybe it's maybelline (you can blame my sister for that one).
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6982 on: September 18, 2015, 09:50:04 pm »
I tried again and they're there. Huh.

Anyway, I honestly think they have a point. Talking about the issue with Texan schools is not the same as "stereotyping" Texas.

No, but stereotyping Texans is still something that happens?

Like, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who has seen knuckle-dragging redneck stereotypes being brought up every time something like this happens in the South. Which is kind of fucked up.

I don't know what Stephen Amell was responding to, but at least taken as a bare statement, he was absolutely right. Stereotyping people over their race is bad. Stereotyping people over where they live is also bad, and some people do the latter in response to the former, pretending it's somehow not bullshit when they do it.

And bringing up whether Texans are oppressed or not seemed kind of a red herring. Two things can be bad even if one is worse than the other.

(EDIT: not that you said anything about that, I'm thinking of some of the tweets in that article)
Σא

Even Then

« Reply #6983 on: September 18, 2015, 09:59:53 pm »
Fair enough. Still, the article came across to me as "wah people are talking about Texan systemic racism, stop being mean to Texas". Then again, I'm not American, so feel free to disregard me.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6984 on: September 18, 2015, 10:00:43 pm »
*shrug* I'm not an American either.
Σא

Even Then

« Reply #6985 on: September 18, 2015, 10:12:45 pm »
Well, you're South American at least, so you're at least marginally closer to the issue XD

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #6986 on: September 18, 2015, 10:16:29 pm »
As an American (even a southerner, but not a Texan) it's annoying, but not more than that.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6987 on: September 18, 2015, 10:37:17 pm »
To be fair, though, Texans don't exactly do a lot to fight the stereotype. I mean, just look at their recent record in governors. Or how pretty much every Texan I've known (spoiler: two people) wears a cowboy hat and makes their drawl as obvious as possible.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6988 on: September 18, 2015, 10:42:24 pm »
To be fair, though, Texans don't exactly do a lot to fight the stereotype. I mean, just look at their recent record in governors. Or how pretty much every Texan I've known (spoiler: two people) wears a cowboy hat and makes their drawl as obvious as possible.

There's 27 million people in Texas. About ten percent of those voted for the current governor.
Σא

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6989 on: September 18, 2015, 11:22:51 pm »

There's 27 million people in Texas. About ten percent of those voted for the current governor.

Wait, really? That's it?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.