Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548286 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #7020 on: September 21, 2015, 07:18:34 pm »
My boss has misspelled my first name many times.  When the proper spelling is literally staring him in the face, because its my screen name on all my messages.  Its spelled with a K at the end, not a C, damn it!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #7021 on: September 21, 2015, 10:14:55 pm »
I've stopped answering to any variations of my last name. Anyone who I want to listen to will know how to pronounce a word that ends in ONE.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #7022 on: September 21, 2015, 11:00:49 pm »
I spell my last name (and my legal first name) reflexively and people still manage to mess it up... even when the correct spelling is already written down somewhere in their field of vision.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #7023 on: September 22, 2015, 12:36:51 am »
While my last name is one syllable, I can think of three different ways it could be spelled due to how it's pronounced. 

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7024 on: September 22, 2015, 01:04:05 am »
I have a rather obsucre (in its homeland) Croatian surname, so that's a lot of fun to deal with. I've never known anyone to get it right on the first try.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7025 on: September 22, 2015, 08:21:53 am »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7026 on: September 22, 2015, 03:45:54 pm »
...Well, there are real ethical issues that must be thought about IF we ever manage to make an AI program that really is self aware. If they are self aware does that mean that owning them is slavery and so on.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7027 on: September 22, 2015, 04:43:49 pm »

Today I learned that autism can now be a gender

OK, this bugs me. "Gender" is a ridiculously hard concept to pin down, probably because it's a complex interaction of social and biological factors we only really understand via introspection that is hard to compare. And there's evidence that autism interacts with gender issues in some way (e.g. autistic people are more likely to experience gender dysphoria). The raw observation that some aspects of gender for autistic people can only be understood in the context of autism is at least plausible (I'd argue probable, but don't have anything beyond intuition to back that up).

I personally disagree with the notion of reifying that as a separate gender in itself, but to be honest I prefer to err on the side of letting people define their gender identity however they like*. This is not the worst of social justice. This is not even the bad parts of social justice. This is just the entirely-harmless-but-easy-to-mock parts of people trying to come to terms with identity issues. It might be wrong, though there's an argument to be had even there. But putting it together with the vicious bullying and anti-free-speech and all the other actually toxic SJ bullshit seems kinda off.

*am I biased here? Sure. I have weird gender identity issues I go back and forth on. But I'm trying to not make this personal.
Σא

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #7028 on: September 22, 2015, 05:01:49 pm »
To be fair, though, Texans don't exactly do a lot to fight the stereotype. I mean, just look at their recent record in governors. Or how pretty much every Texan I've known (spoiler: two people) wears a cowboy hat and makes their drawl as obvious as possible.

There's 27 million people in Texas. About ten percent of those voted for the current governor.

Wait, really? That's it?

That's what Wikipedia tells me. 2,796,547 people voted for Greg Abbot, 1,835,596 for Wendy Davis.

Yep!  This is what happens when young folks don't vote in state or local elections.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #7029 on: September 22, 2015, 05:04:29 pm »
One of my surnames is in the top five or so for the country and people still manage to misspell it.

And you live in a Spanish-speaking country.  Spanish has just about the EASIEST, least-ambiguous phonetic system I've ever seen.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7030 on: September 22, 2015, 07:45:33 pm »
One of my surnames is in the top five or so for the country and people still manage to misspell it.

And you live in a Spanish-speaking country.  Spanish has just about the EASIEST, least-ambiguous phonetic system I've ever seen.

Yup. Though sometimes I think that it leaves people unprepared for the few occasions where spelling is not obvious from pronunciation (v/b, s/z/c, and so on, depending on dialect).
Σא

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7031 on: September 22, 2015, 11:24:48 pm »
Forgive me, Sig, if my post came across as...wonked. I think we may disagree a bit on gender (but that's possibly due to my own biases and bad experiences, and I do try to account for that in any given situation), but I think we both agree that the idea of just slapping all of the complicated issues that autism can bring to someone's gender identity onto a single label is just a smidge insulting.

Might be that it is. But mostly my problem (and this is really a problem with this thread as a whole, your post was just a prompt) is that it puts on the same level some harmless if slightly weird comment on someone making up a new word for their gender with the actually harmful, sometimes abusive tactics people use in the name of social justice. These are not problems on the same level! SJ encourages a finely-grained and individualised exploration of gender and sexuality, which is a good thing in my book. It has failure modes, like a jargon explosion that it's impossible to keep up with and some dubious classifications that are taken in uncritically. Opinions on this vary, of course.

But the worst of these failure modes has nothing on bullshit like women being attacked for not being feminist in the right away or doxxing people for making fun of you or mounting giant harassment campaigns against the designated target of the week. And bundling criticism of these things together is costly.

Because the non-abusive, non-bullying SJ types are not going to stand around and listen when you make fun of them for having weird identity issues they resolve the best they know how, with the tools their community gives them. And alienating the people with weird pronouns who don't hurt anybody is a loss. Because, well, they don't hurt anybody, and other people in their movement do, and we want them to help minimise that harm. If their idea of "SJ-critic" is "those assholes who made fun of me and my friends because of our gender" then why would they want to side with them? Why would they want to listen when we talk about toxic norms in their community? We are the enemy, after all.

Sorry, this came out more ranty than it should.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7032 on: September 24, 2015, 09:07:17 am »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7033 on: September 24, 2015, 11:53:17 am »
He's not wrong.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7034 on: September 24, 2015, 12:01:12 pm »
He's not wrong.

Yes he is.  According to the FBI, 21.4 percent of racially-motivated hate crimes in 2013 stemmed from anti-white bias.

As for police brutality, in 2014, more whites than blacks were killed by cops.  Do you really think every single one of those deaths was justified?