Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1547967 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #7200 on: October 07, 2015, 10:53:24 am »

...This explains so much.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #7201 on: October 07, 2015, 11:04:43 am »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7202 on: October 07, 2015, 11:16:59 am »

Shit, I just do it reflexively, at this point.  People tend to take you more seriously when you at least TRY to use proper grammar, spelling, and syntax.  You end up sounding more intelligent, which is kinda important when it comes to a debate.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7203 on: October 07, 2015, 11:18:59 am »

Shit, I just do it reflexively, at this point.  People tend to take you more seriously when you at least TRY to use proper grammar, spelling, and syntax.  You end up sounding more intelligent, which is kinda important when it comes to a debate.
thAts ablust, Check ur privledge. shitlourd?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7204 on: October 07, 2015, 09:51:04 pm »

If you hang out on Tumblr enough you start to notice there's a lot of spellings/grammar/punctuation conventions used to convey tone (it happens everywhere online, Tumblr just likes to talk about it a lot for some reason).

(I'm doing it right now)

In that convention, short, flippant posts look wrong with full capitalization and spelling. Not saying it's good or bad, just, y'know, language is what it is. It's basically Tumblr equivalent of making fun of people for having a different accent.

seriously why do you think I do things like adding random y'knows to text and appending posts with 6pt commentary. ~conveying tone through text~
Σא

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #7205 on: October 08, 2015, 01:32:41 am »

Why the fuck are you in college if you aren't going to listen to anything your professors say? I mean obviously there are shitheads in academia because there are shitheads everywhere, but if you have zero intention of listening to your professors' ""facts"" or of respecting their  ""intellectual" authority on anything" then why are you even there? If you already feel/know that you're 100% right 100% of the time just skip higher ed and get some job experience.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7206 on: October 08, 2015, 02:06:49 am »
Because these people need to feel superior to everyone around them for whatever reason.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7207 on: October 08, 2015, 08:31:20 am »

Somebody's gonna be one righteous, intellectual giant of a barista when they're 38.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7208 on: October 08, 2015, 09:29:52 am »
Honestly, I think my calculus professor doesn't know how to really do derivatives.  My gut tells me I have to subtract 2 from everything, and my gut cannot be wrong.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7209 on: October 08, 2015, 11:58:33 am »

Why the fuck are you in college if you aren't going to listen to anything your professors say? I mean obviously there are shitheads in academia because there are shitheads everywhere, but if you have zero intention of listening to your professors' ""facts"" or of respecting their  ""intellectual" authority on anything" then why are you even there? If you already feel/know that you're 100% right 100% of the time just skip higher ed and get some job experience.

...questioning people is not the same as assuming they are know nothing?

You should question the things you are taught at uni (preferably not during the lecture itself though! if it's more than a short simple question it's best to wait until class is over/office hours, otherwise you will piss off your classmates). Critical thinking and all that, it's one of the things you're meant to get better at through higher education.

If someone knows a lot about calculus but also thinks gay people shouldn't marry, it's OK to learn calculus from them and then think they are speaking out of their ass on gay marriage.
Σא

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #7210 on: October 08, 2015, 01:04:20 pm »
You probably should respect their intellectual authority on some things, though. Like, say, the thing they're teaching?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7211 on: October 08, 2015, 01:10:32 pm »
Guess who the outrage brigade is targeting this time?

If you guessed Meryl Streep, you're right!

https://archive.is/xyCHi

Quote from: Joanna Rothkopf
In early September, Streep sent a package to each member of Congress urging him or her to support the Equal Rights Amendment, which would make it illegal to discriminate against women. She whooped when Patricia Arquette spoke about equal pay at the Oscars ... But for some reason she doesn’t feel comfortable calling herself a feminist.

You.  You fanatics are the "some reason".  Fact is, the main reason people don't want to call themselves feminists is because they don't want to be associated with people like this:

If you want more people to call themselves "feminists," then condemn these extremists for what they are.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7212 on: October 08, 2015, 01:24:18 pm »
......is that supposed to be someone we know or....?

Ironbite-OH WAIT I KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7213 on: October 08, 2015, 01:36:20 pm »
You probably should respect their intellectual authority on some things, though. Like, say, the thing they're teaching?

i dunno, my medieval techniques teacher taught us on the first day to take everything he said with a grain of salt and to try and disprove him on occasion. if we managed to catch him cold we'd get respect for following (also, showing we studied) and he'd be kept sharp on his subject. it was his way of dodging complacency, so it was mutually beneficial. happened three times during the semester. the rest of the time he obliterated smartasses, but i still caught him cold once. (don't ask how many times i got my ass handed to me.)

as of this year, he's still practicing this technique, so i heard.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #7214 on: October 08, 2015, 01:41:05 pm »
Or maybe she is a humanist.

She's got a good number of years under her belt watching the world evolve and hasn't exactly been kicked in the teeth for the crime of having a uterus so the idea that she is more of an egalitarian really isn't that far fetched.