Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548936 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #7260 on: October 10, 2015, 01:24:33 pm »
"DavidWongCracked"

figures a Cracked writer would post something stupid like that. Got a new article idea for them: "15 Reasons Why That Reddit Post Was Stupid As Fuck"

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7261 on: October 10, 2015, 02:22:51 pm »
I think the problem is that they put in this white Appalachian guy (a class stigma) next to a bunch of non white people (a race stigma), thus implying (possibly unintentionally) that the white guy's problem is racism and not classism. Poor design choice.

It's not just about class. That stereotype is about the people in the Appalachian region specifically so it is a stereotype of an ethnic group even if that ethnic group happens to be mainly white. Classism does play a part in it but it's not all that. The stereotypes about poor white people in other regions are different, Britain has Chavs for example and similarly the "inbred hillbilly with a banjo" is a stereotype from specific region.

So in that way it fits in with the rest of the series which complains about different cultures being reduced into simple costumes and stereotypes.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7262 on: October 10, 2015, 02:49:53 pm »
An Appalachian accent is so twang-y and thick, and the culture is so strongly associated in society at large with ignorance, inbreeding, drunkenness and violence that finding a job elsewhere, even while still in the South, is much more difficult. Shades of England's old accent-indicates-class thing.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Even Then

« Reply #7263 on: October 10, 2015, 03:03:38 pm »
Consider me corrected.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7264 on: October 10, 2015, 08:16:57 pm »
funny thing about accents. le point (a french e-journal) recently revealed a survey claiming that a southwestern french accent (toulousan to be precise) was the sexiest accent according to the french and brought images of a laid-back lifestyle due to the way it's slow and singing. guess who scored among the worst in the "taken seriously" category? yup, anything southern. precisely because of that singing accent. in a country smaller than some states. people will find all kinds of ways to ostracize others.

in the meantime, i have to try and hide my noticeable accent when applying for jobs even when they're local jobs. brb, brain just afk.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7265 on: October 11, 2015, 12:49:58 am »
Certain regions of Finland are also known for having "funny" accents and comedians and older movies often used those accents for enhancing the silliness of characters.

In related news, at least one person drowned in a lake with the bystanders doing nothing because he was screaming for help in a such a silly accent that people thought he was just pretending to be in trouble.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #7266 on: October 11, 2015, 07:29:16 pm »
I don't do well with the quote things so I'll just break it down:

1. Why should they? It's not their job description to go and denounce every other person who has a different idea of feminism. Also did you ever think that they might have better things to do with their time (such as actually opposing existing inequality) rather than spending all their time denouncing people who share the same self-identification who they disagree with? I am prepared to trust that they manage their time well.

It doesn't take long to release a statement saying "these people don't represent us."

2. Who are these people who have different opinions? Are they anybody I should give a fuck about or are they youtube commentators? Where are the academic dissertations on Rebecca Watson and her adverse impact on Feminism?

Atheism+, for one.  I may not like PZ Meyers, but I'm not going to deny his influence.

3. Nice way to avoid the point. I included the quakers, partly as a joke but also partly because they tend to act in a way that most Christians don't (you know in emulation of Jesus as recorded in the Gospels)

I'm sorry, but how do Quakers not act in emulation of Jesus?

Anyway, other than them, you're talking about groups with very little influence or popularity.  Nobody likes the WBC, and the Klan hasn't been a serious threat since the 1970s.  If you'd brought up Pat Robertson or the Crouch family, that would've been a decent comparison.

Finally why do you care so much about PR. You seem to be obsessed with people giving bad PR to groups like feminists and trans people. One of the things I've noticed is when doing it you always refer to the people whose PR you are concerned about (Feminists/ Trans) as 'them' - although later you will claim either to be part of the group or an ally of it. 

Because, like it or not, PR is important.  And when I say "them," I'm referring to the leadership and/or prominent members.

Also please let me know which of the points I consider central to feminism you disagree with? Is it that women are people?

None of them.  What I disagree with are some modern feminist talking points, such as prominence of "rape culture," the idea that misogyny in the third world has impact on the first world, or the idea that the media should change for the benefit of the pearl-clutchers.

Back now the weekend is over. As for my position on Quakers that was a reading fail and Melon was right.

While it may not take long to release a statement, they first have:

1. To be aware of the incident;
2. Care about the incident enough to at least form an informed opinion of it;
3. Prepare a statement.

Given the number of piddling things you care about, I suspect denouncing those straying from the pure ideology you seek would be a full time job. Also I'm pleased that you don't believe they know how to best manage their time. No that's not a condescending attitude at all.

As for Atheism+ I'm going to have to plead ignorance, I have know Idea who they are.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7267 on: October 11, 2015, 09:33:12 pm »
Like I said, let's talk elsewhere.

Anyway, I recently found a site called "Black Girl Dangerous."  The title alone is a red flag.  I mean, imagine if some /pol/ack started a site called "White Guy Badass?"

On the other hand, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.  So, I decided to take a look.  Maybe I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Then I came across an article claiming white people created AIDS.

https://archive.is/swTH3

Yeah, it seems my first impression was completely accurate.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #7268 on: October 11, 2015, 11:09:33 pm »
Where would you like to talk about it?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7269 on: October 11, 2015, 11:16:57 pm »
Where would you like to talk about it?

In a new thread.  I think I might make one.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #7270 on: October 12, 2015, 12:54:12 pm »
It's possible the AIDS epidemic was the accidental result of SIV-contaminated vaccines (monkey plasma is similar enough to human plasma that doctors had been using them for years in Africa to "stretch" each vial of vaccine).  However, I'm pretty sure that wasn't deliberate.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7271 on: October 13, 2015, 09:45:27 am »

This is hilarious coming from somebody who admits two of his teammates committed statutory rape and got away with it.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7272 on: October 13, 2015, 01:37:14 pm »
Statutory rape as in a few years age difference, or as in probable pederasty?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7273 on: October 13, 2015, 03:45:35 pm »
Statutory rape as in a few years age difference, or as in probable pederasty?

I don't know, he only said "underage girl."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7274 on: October 13, 2015, 07:20:27 pm »

This is hilarious coming from somebody who admits two of his teammates committed statutory rape and got away with it.

And?  That's still a valid statement.

Ironbite-OH RIGHT!  I forgot Goobergate.