Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1547333 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #7560 on: November 09, 2015, 01:05:11 pm »
I'm sorry reality hits a nerve, friend.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7561 on: November 09, 2015, 01:17:57 pm »
Even though obesity purely by itself does not cause many health issues (stress/damage to the joints being one) it is often either a side effect of other health issues OR an aggravating factor to other health issues and diseases.

Besides, being slightly overweight won't usually do harm but there is a point where person becomes dangerously obese and that cannot be denied no matter how much you stress body positivity or right to make your own choices on health.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #7562 on: November 09, 2015, 01:33:18 pm »

Good to know being a dick is only verboten when Ironchew does it, guy.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7563 on: November 09, 2015, 02:02:41 pm »
Even though obesity purely by itself does not cause many health issues (stress/damage to the joints being one) it is often either a side effect of other health issues OR an aggravating factor to other health issues and diseases.

Besides, being slightly overweight won't usually do harm but there is a point where person becomes dangerously obese and that cannot be denied no matter how much you stress body positivity or right to make your own choices on health.

i read a study that showed that people who were 10kg overweight (you know, over the bmi bull) were on average healthier than 10 unders. the logic showing better food assimilation and better blood content. like maybe the body actually needs some fat to function.

still though, that's ten over, most people won't notice it on men (who'll look beefy), but suddenly it's on women and eww. give me fuller figures anyday of the week.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7564 on: November 09, 2015, 02:53:29 pm »

i read a study that showed that people who were 10kg overweight (you know, over the bmi bull) were on average healthier than 10 unders. the logic showing better food assimilation and better blood content. like maybe the body actually needs some fat to function.

still though, that's ten over, most people won't notice it on men (who'll look beefy), but suddenly it's on women and eww. give me fuller figures anyday of the week.

Yeah, that 10kg overweight thing seems to be true, there is enough evidence to support it. Besides, I can admit that people who complain to others about their obesity simply for reasons of appearance are dicks.

...And measuring things by weight only is highly inaccurate since fat weighs less than muscle and so on. People who have a weightlifters body look a bit "chubby" but it might be all muscle.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #7565 on: November 09, 2015, 03:34:29 pm »

Good to know being a dick is only verboten when Ironchew does it, guy.

I don't remember ever giving him shit for being harsh.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7566 on: November 09, 2015, 05:49:59 pm »
Sure is a big fucking health lecture in here.

And I bet none of you are physicians, except of the armchair variety.

How...ironic, ignoring statistics and studies you don't like.  Truly, 'Chew, you are a man of God.

There's a difference between asking for health advice and getting it, and the fat-shaming tactic of expounding on the horrors of obesity every day, whether the target wants to hear it or not.

It's a socially-sanctioned bullying tactic. Just admit that it satisfies your urge to bully and drop the pretense of being concerned about my health.

...So refuting some Tumblrina's claims that being fat is just as healthy in every way as being thin is now "fat-shaming"? You're a fucking moron.

You're perfectly happy to mention how irrational religion is, and fuck any religious person who gets offended. Yet your butt fills with untold levels of hurt as soon as someone mentions a fact that offends you. You really don't think that's a tad hypocritical?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 06:27:55 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7567 on: November 09, 2015, 06:07:17 pm »
From 2012

So they're mad at Laci Green (who's said some pretty silly things herself) for posting before and after weight loss pics.

It’s all well and good to say ‘this is my body, I’m not saying you should do what I did’, but simply by being as high profile as she is, and by telling her readers how she got to where it is, she’s implying that anyone can do it. And not everyone’s body works the way hers does. So what if her readers took her advice, did the same thing she did, and didn’t lose weight? What if their body didn’t change? They’re going to hate themselves more.

And I’m sorry, but posting progress pictures? How much weight you’ve lost? Before and after? That crosses a line.

As an advocate for body positivity, you have to understand how what you say might be taken by people who read it. Many people look up to Laci. They want to be like her. I read the notes in her post and there were so many 'how do you keep the weight off?’ 'Can you talk about what you have for meals?’ questions. It’s dangerous territory. People want to do what she did and expect the same results. She doesn’t have to say you 'should’ do anything, people simply believe it’s implied. That’s what happens when you look up to someone.

I have some advice for people who look up to Laci Green, whether they want to lose weight or not: get a better role model.

So....Laci Green took a squat in your cheerios or something?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #7568 on: November 09, 2015, 06:22:59 pm »
Sure is a big fucking health lecture in here.

And I bet none of you are physicians, except of the armchair variety.

How...ironic, ignoring statistics and studies you don't like.  Truly, 'Chew, you are a man of God.

There's a difference between asking for health advice and getting it, and the fat-shaming tactic of expounding on the horrors of obesity every day, whether the target wants to hear it or not.

It's a socially-sanctioned bullying tactic. Just admit that it satisfies your urge to bully and drop the pretense of being concerned about my health.

...So refuting some Tumblrina's claims that being fat is just as healthy in every way as being thin is now "fat-shaming"? You're a fucking moron.

You're perfectly happy to mention how irrational religion is, and fuck any religious person who gets offended. Yet your butt fulls with untold levels of hurt as soon as someone mentions a fact that offends you. You really don't think that's a tad hypocritical?

Thing is, I don't go on religious forums harassing believers about it. They push enough of their religion on me that I don't have to.

It's not the same as having a highly visible disease that society treats as a moral vice. If you couldn't escape people dissecting the consequences of your life choices it would drive you up the wall too.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7569 on: November 09, 2015, 06:30:24 pm »
Thing is, I don't go on religious forums harassing believers about it. They push enough of their religion on me that I don't have to.

It's not the same as having a highly visible disease that society treats as a moral vice. If you couldn't escape people dissecting the consequences of your life choices it would drive you up the wall too.
If you go around making every mention of obesity being unhealthy that you hear about you, then it's no fucking wonder.

Besides, even if that were true, you're still demanding people not even mention, much less discuss, certain facts just because they offend you. That kind of mindset is bullshit for reasons I should hope are blindingly obvious to you.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #7570 on: November 09, 2015, 06:34:03 pm »
Oh, piss off. Yes, Tumblrinas say stupid shit every now and then. I'm just wondering why body positivity is such a lucrative target for FQA's "Worst of Social Justice" section, and why a few posters enjoy expounding on the evils of obesity whenever they get a chance. You know, besides the obvious reason that it's fun to bully people based on their appearance.

Last I checked, I wasn't censoring your posts for offending me.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7571 on: November 09, 2015, 06:46:44 pm »
Oh, piss off. Yes, Tumblrinas say stupid shit every now and then. I'm just wondering why body positivity is such a lucrative target for FQA's "Worst of Social Justice" section, and why a few posters enjoy expounding on the evils of obesity whenever they get a chance. You know, besides the obvious reason that it's fun to bully people based on their appearance.
Some idiot said that losing weight is inherently "fat-shaming" and that size has absolutely nothing to do with health, and people here refuted it. Same with any other topic that comes up around here. If you honestly think that counts as bullying, then you really need to grow some thicker skin.

Really now, I'm a fat bastard who thinks health nuts can fuck right off, yet I can still tell the difference between refuting an objectively false claim and harping at me about my eating habits. It's really not that hard.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7572 on: November 09, 2015, 06:51:36 pm »
Until you took offence, none of the comments about body positivity in this part of the thread were directed at you. Dakota has "lived the life" in being obese. So have I, for a fifteen year period earlier in my life. Yes, it is tiresome how stupid, insensitive and cruel some people are IRL and online, especially when it costs you a job interview or a second date. I feel you, Chew. But nobody here was personally going after your weight or size.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7573 on: November 09, 2015, 06:58:50 pm »
Hell, that's partly how I got started on this whole "eating shit that won't kill me" thing.  It was an extremely uncomfortable topic for me.  Still is, in fact.  I hate it when people mention my weight and part of me wants to gouge out their eyes and laugh at their suffering when they bring it up because its basically the crux of literally every tiny bit of hell I suffered for most of my life.  I fucking hate myself, and it is pretty much the biggest factor in that.  Yet, I still broached it.  I accepted that its bad for me.  I do not have a family history that is conducive to a long-term, healthy life as a person that was over 150 kilos.  You're that heavy, and it can fucking kill you, as your risks for basically every bad physical thing possible shoots way the fuck up.  A little overweight?  Maybe up to 10-20 kilos over?  You're not at much risk, the body does afford you some leeway, but if you're a fat fuck like me...well, yeah.  That shit isn't good.  Even if you don't end up dying due to your increased risk of cancer, heart attack, and stroke, you'll still end up on pain killers by the time you're 40 because your spine could no longer handle the stress on it and you ended up rupturing a disc or fracturing one of your vertebrae.

There's nothing wrong with pointing that out, because its an established freaking fact.  Facts don't go away just because you don't like them.  I'm like Art, I absolutely loathe health nuts who insist I need to hit the gym for several hours every day or go running or somesuch bullshit.  Eat the right shit and get off your ass once in a while, and you'll be closer to your body's healthy weight.  That might be 50 kilos, it might be 150.  Everyone varies, but being grossly overweight is going to kick your ass when you're older.  I, personally, am not gonna end up using a cane by the time I'm 40 because I want to eat a dozen burritos that make Ron Jeremy's cock look like a Vienna sausage.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #7574 on: November 09, 2015, 07:12:57 pm »
Well, I suppose Art's right in that I brought this on myself.

Eat the right shit and get off your ass once in a while, and you'll be closer to your body's healthy weight.

You're lucky it was that easy for you to manage. Some other obese people aren't so lucky and there isn't much we can do now with our present medical knowledge to help them. Acknowledging the limits in our understanding of the mechanism of obesity and the ways to treat it are also part of "established freaking fact".