Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1547341 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #7875 on: December 08, 2015, 06:26:38 pm »
END WHITE PEOPLE PERSECUTION!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7876 on: December 08, 2015, 06:27:39 pm »
I'm with Paragon. It is about time that we talk about the true victims of institutionalized racism: white people.

I outright said that black people are treated worse in the American justice system.  My position isn't that white people are the "real victims" or anything like that, it's that white privilege doesn't mean you don't get treated like garbage.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7877 on: December 08, 2015, 06:46:47 pm »
UP. My 62 year old brother was brutalized by the Miami PD. And jailed. And while he was in jail, he saw how many black guys came in on equally bullshit arrests in much worse shape than he. He and the 9 Cuban Americans he shared the dorm room with were in a special "low aggression" unit. All the rest of the 180 guys in there were black. Even with vicious bully PDs, like they have in Miami Dade, your mileage will be awesome compared to black folks. Give it up.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7878 on: December 08, 2015, 09:15:50 pm »
UP. My 62 year old brother was brutalized by the Miami PD. And jailed. And while he was in jail, he saw how many black guys came in on equally bullshit arrests in much worse shape than he. He and the 9 Cuban Americans he shared the dorm room with were in a special "low aggression" unit. All the rest of the 180 guys in there were black. Even with vicious bully PDs, like they have in Miami Dade, your mileage will be awesome compared to black folks. Give it up.

Well, statistics show that, while larger proportions of blacks and Latinos are killed by police, the total number of whites killed by police is almost as large as the two combined.  Whites do have it better when it comes to police brutality, but that doesn't mean their victimization can be ignored.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #7879 on: December 08, 2015, 09:18:27 pm »

While it may not happen to whites as often (AFAIK, anyway), it does happen.  For example, there was a white teenager in Georgia who got shot because the cops mistook his Wii Remote for a gun:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/georgia-teen-holding-wii-remote-shot-cops-front-door-family-lawyer-article-1.1619842

Besides, this movie was set (and indeed, made) before trigger-happy cops became commonplace.
Pretty sure it's more we have greater awareness of police brutality now.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7880 on: December 08, 2015, 09:20:16 pm »

While it may not happen to whites as often (AFAIK, anyway), it does happen.  For example, there was a white teenager in Georgia who got shot because the cops mistook his Wii Remote for a gun:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/georgia-teen-holding-wii-remote-shot-cops-front-door-family-lawyer-article-1.1619842

Besides, this movie was set (and indeed, made) before trigger-happy cops became commonplace.
Pretty sure it's more we have greater awareness of police brutality now.

That actually raises a good question.  Is police brutality more common, or just more likely to be caught on camera?

pyro

« Reply #7881 on: December 09, 2015, 12:27:52 am »
I'm not saying blacks don't have it worse in the justice system, just that whites don't have it as good as you think they do.

Besides, that's not really what pushed this into the "worst" camp for me.  It's that last sentence that did it.

"One can't watch 'A Christmas Story' without acknowledging that the world is a far different place for society's Ralphies than for kids like Tamir."

How is that anything more than a concluding summary of the rest of the text?

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #7882 on: December 09, 2015, 12:41:16 am »

Well, statistics show that, while larger proportions of blacks and Latinos are killed by police, the total number of whites killed by police is almost as large as the two combined.  Whites do have it better when it comes to police brutality, but that doesn't mean their victimization can be ignored.

Unfortunately, America has a significantly higher percentage of white people compared to people of colour. As such, the fact that the number of people of colour being killed is still larger than the number of whites killed shows that people of colour are still being killed at a higher rate.

Of course perhaps one of the first things that should be dealt with is how psychotically gun crazy and execution loving the police in America are. The video footage of how they just execute suspects is frightening.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7883 on: December 09, 2015, 03:53:22 am »
call me old-fashioned, but isn't the problem more about trigger-happy cops willing to shoot children than it is about skin color?

besides, objectively speaking, cops are wrong to shoot black kids. white kids are a lighter and easier target to see, anyway.

I think your problem is trigger happy cops regardless of the ethnicity or age of their victims. And generally corrupt cops who use violence as the first and only tool when they face a problem.

http://wncn.com/2015/11/15/1-killed-in-harnett-co-officer-involved-shooting/

Police wanted to search a trailer without a warrant and when the occupant refused the police officer kicked down the door and started a fight which ended with the homeowner getting shot fatally.

Granted that the guy did grab the officers taser but it was after the officer burst into the house and started to beat him.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7884 on: December 09, 2015, 06:28:15 am »
Honestly, American police are fucking terrifying. Even as a white person, I wouldn't want them to think I so much as looked at them funny.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #7885 on: December 09, 2015, 06:36:40 am »
The sense of dread I see everywhere in regards to the American Police reminds me of stories the Germans told of the SS.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7886 on: December 12, 2015, 03:30:51 pm »

Unfortunately, America has a significantly higher percentage of white people compared to people of colour. As such, the fact that the number of people of colour being killed is still larger than the number of whites killed shows that people of colour are still being killed at a higher rate.

Of course perhaps one of the first things that should be dealt with is how psychotically gun crazy and execution loving the police in America are. The video footage of how they just execute suspects is frightening.

That's not entirely accurate.  Asians are killed at a lower rate than whites, both in total numbers and in terms of proportion.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7887 on: December 12, 2015, 04:20:15 pm »
Your perceived economic status, say if you are stopped while driving a car worth more than 50 or 60 thousand, and how well you are dressed, can equal a hands-off approach by bad cops. Money equals legal power in court, as we all know. However, if all those factors are the same, except you are brown or black, things get dicey again.

Regardless, if you are driving through a red zone neighborhood, as was the case when my brother took a popular short cut to get home out of the rush hour traffic, many bad cops will just go ahead and stop you on suspicion (drug buying, prostitution). My brother was in a  late model Mercedes, but wearing cutoffs and a sweaty t-shirt, on his way back home to finish pruning and fertilizing his roses. The cops had set up an impromptu road block, my bro was a little less than sweet natured at the delay during interrogation, so they yanked him out of his car and broke his nose and dislocated his jaw by slamming him into the hood. They also miraculously "found" a baggie of crack in his car. Nevertheless, as outraged as he was, he was completely blown away by the immense percentage of blacks and other non-white Latinos in county lockup. The white Cuban Americans with him were equally dismayed. And they were all in the "good" part of the jail.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7888 on: December 13, 2015, 10:25:46 pm »

Do you have any sense of proportion?  Like, at all?

pyro

« Reply #7889 on: December 13, 2015, 11:04:11 pm »

They're not the same! Killing living creatures is far worse than enslaving them!