Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548036 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #8310 on: February 29, 2016, 01:14:11 am »
People are getting upset about a white actor being cast to play Iron Fist.  Why is this so stupid?  Because Iron Fist is white!
Upset? Dickens just seems to be disappointed that they didn't go to a new direction with a character. There is no wharrgarble in the tone, it's just an opinion why she thinks a well written Asian Iron Fist would have been a more interesting idea. She isn't blaming anyone of racism so I don't find her opinion stupid.

I disagree with her since changing a martial arts based super hero's ethnicity to Asian opens a whole another can of stereotype worms. Keeping him non-Asian and just changing the backstory to a less offensive one seems to be a better option.

...You know, that's a very good point.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8311 on: February 29, 2016, 09:09:18 am »
Keeping him non-Asian and just changing the backstory to a less offensive one seems to be a better option.

Is that, like, at all possible?

Th criticism is that the very storyline of white dude travels to Exotic Asian Culture and inherits mystical power is a racist trope (whether you agree or not with this assessment, that's what's being criticised). I'm not sure there's any change that can make the story less racist while still keep the essentials of the backstory (and if you change the backstory you get a different group angry at you).

But I could be wrong.
Σא

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #8312 on: February 29, 2016, 01:28:59 pm »
Keeping him non-Asian and just changing the backstory to a less offensive one seems to be a better option.

Is that, like, at all possible?

Th criticism is that the very storyline of white dude travels to Exotic Asian Culture and inherits mystical power is a racist trope (whether you agree or not with this assessment, that's what's being criticised). I'm not sure there's any change that can make the story less racist while still keep the essentials of the backstory (and if you change the backstory you get a different group angry at you).

But I could be wrong.
Exotication is a part of the Mighty Whitey trope but it's not the defining property and I don't find that part too offensive. It's also difficult to avoid when dealing with this kind of story. Mighty Whitey is mostly about a white character exceptionally excelling in something that is significant and particular to the native culture. Rand becomes Mighty Whitey when he is the first and only non-Asian who inherits the power. Making his ethnicity less significant by injecting some ethnic diversity to the history of the Iron Fist -title is IMO the easiest way to distance the story from the trope.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8313 on: February 29, 2016, 04:42:44 pm »
You want an Asian Martial Artist Super Hero?  Shang Chi.

Ironbite-BOOM!  Problem solved.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #8314 on: February 29, 2016, 09:42:46 pm »

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #8315 on: February 29, 2016, 09:51:17 pm »
I'm trying to come up with something to say to that, but the batshit stench is so over whelming I can't think.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #8316 on: March 01, 2016, 12:06:14 am »
About what can and can't be considered appropriation:

Besides, what makes the naysayers voices more important than the ones who encourage it?

Because cultural appropriation hurts the people who speak out against it, while the naysayers claiming that everything is to be shared are basically unaffected

Instead of promoting segregation, we should be promoting cultural exchange and knowledge so we can slowly correct some of the negative stereotypes.

Not everything relating to culture is to be shared. Not every part of a culture is up for the consumption of outsiders. That's not segregation, that's cultural preservation in an Imperialist and Colonialist society that simultaneously destroys and monetizes cultures.

And who gets to decide that?  Who gets to decide what gets to be shared and what is "too sacred" to share?  By you're own reasoning, nothing can be shared ever because if even one person complains, their opinion is the one that's held as absolutely sacred while the voices of the other people of the same culture are silenced and trampled because "they don't matter unless they're hurting enough".

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #8317 on: March 01, 2016, 12:54:01 am »

Weird how a lot of seperatists like that are also TERFS who'll team up with the craziest most patriarchal redpillers in the MRA/MGTOW pile if it helps stomp on trans people.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8318 on: March 01, 2016, 03:16:43 am »
That's not weird at all. They agree on several things.

Like that trans people are evil creepy weirdos and that PIV sex is man's dominance over a woman. ...It's just that they disagree whether that latter thing is bad or not.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8319 on: March 02, 2016, 07:29:43 am »

...I suppose it could be a poe?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #8320 on: March 02, 2016, 08:18:55 am »
Well one would fucking hope so, I've heard some dopey shit on the internet but this is something else.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8321 on: March 02, 2016, 08:53:37 am »

...I suppose it could be a poe?

I could sorta see a point if what they were going for was "The trauma from being violated comes from how you feel; if you consented but you wish you hadn't this can feel the same as if you were raped". It would obviously be wrong if they then followed with "and therefore send that asshole to jail", but it seems they are explicitly not doing that; if "rape doesn't require a rapist" then the other person involved is, y'know, not a rapist and doesn't deserve to be punished.

I'd rather they phrased it as 'person' rather than 'woman' but what can you do.
Σא

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #8322 on: March 02, 2016, 12:23:25 pm »
Well, man can't get raped what with patriarchy and all.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8323 on: March 02, 2016, 01:02:01 pm »
Sigma's theory is the kind assumption. Honestly though, a single tweet won't give enough info to really know what they think about this. Are they the type of feminist who thinks that only women can be victims of rape? Is it a troll? I don't know.

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #8324 on: March 02, 2016, 05:20:29 pm »

Weird how a lot of seperatists like that are also TERFS who'll team up with the craziest most patriarchal redpillers in the MRA/MGTOW pile if it helps stomp on trans people.

Poor woman. She never heard of the Cowgirl/Reverse Cowgirl positions.