Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1548310 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #8385 on: March 14, 2016, 01:47:23 pm »
So are they saying then that a female sub who likes that kind of rough play "just doesn't know what's good for herself" and / or "is indoctrinated to be a slave"?

eh, sort of? The argument is that femsubs have internalised sexist social norms and most of them (us?) wouldn't be subs in a less sexist society. Not exactly about being a slave. Unless that's what youre into.
Σא

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #8386 on: March 15, 2016, 04:41:44 am »

This same blogger, two posts down: "don't infantilize neurodivergent people!"
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Even Then

« Reply #8387 on: March 15, 2016, 04:55:14 am »
"Don't deliberately set off our serious mental problems out of petty revenge" and "Treat us as adults" aren't mutually exclusive.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #8388 on: March 15, 2016, 08:24:16 am »
I'm sympathetic to the message, but since I'm a total asshole I'm gonna say that you're a fuckin' dummy if you start shit with people who know your weakness.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #8389 on: March 15, 2016, 09:15:30 am »
Without context I can't know for sure, but this sounds an awful lot like "I'm allowed to be an asshole, but you can't pick on me because I'm special."

Fuck that noise, if you can't swim stay out of the pool.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8390 on: March 15, 2016, 09:40:55 am »
It could also mean "You don't have to pamper me like a baby but don't go off your way to be specifically dick towards me either." Like if you are arguing with someone over what's the best character in [insert comic book] and since they know that you have trauma relating to a certain subject they start spamming the thread with images about it knowing it will hurt you.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Even Then

« Reply #8391 on: March 15, 2016, 09:56:17 am »
There's a difference between "you're not allowed to say anything if I'm an asshole to you because I have mental issues" and "deliberately aggravating someone's mental issues in retaliation for being an asshole makes you an even bigger asshole, there are other ways to confront someone than to mentally abuse them like that"*.

*extrapolation of OP's post, not necessarily a reflection of my stance yada yada
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:58:33 am by Even Then »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8392 on: March 15, 2016, 09:58:54 am »
Dude, ET, we get that.  Nobody here is suggesting the latter is okay.  Thing is, a lot of these pics are describing the former, like the people who use (often self-diagnosed) Asperger's to be complete pricks to people.  Problem with that one is that there's no context, so its really hard to tell.  Alas, we're all...pretty jaded when it comes to this kinda crap.  Hell, that's why this thread started in the first place.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Even Then

« Reply #8393 on: March 15, 2016, 10:43:29 am »
Fair enough, and I'm not denying the former has ever happened. I'm just also jaded when people start talking about the former, because more often than not they're misconstruing the latter to be the former. A lot of jade going around, I guess.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #8394 on: March 15, 2016, 12:09:50 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3BjUvjOUMc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3BjUvjOUMc</a>

I don't even know if I'd call this bad.  It's just really really silly.

And since when were Emoji's gendered?  That's new to me.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #8395 on: March 15, 2016, 12:38:58 pm »
It's not intentional, mind you, but more of an over-sight by people who have designed anthropomorphic emojis, not the simple circular face ones, but the ones that look like people. Pretty much all of the many anthropo emojis I've ever seen were male gendered, no doubt just meant to be the "default" sex. But that is kinda lazy. I really liked the way the girls in this video expressed themselves. It's also kind of ironic that a menstrual hygiene product maker, Always, put out a corporate sponsored PSA that should maybe specifically mention that this is a great opportunity for designers working in .GIF and HTML code to produce and "market" lots of female gendered emojis. Overall, the PSA is kinda no big deal, except, once again, I realllly liked how smart, low-key, and self confident the girls and young women were in expressing their disappointment about this, albeit relatively minor, issue.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #8396 on: March 15, 2016, 01:48:18 pm »
Without context I can't know for sure, but this sounds an awful lot like "I'm allowed to be an asshole, but you can't pick on me because I'm special."

Where was that implied?

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #8397 on: March 15, 2016, 05:53:32 pm »

Where was that implied?

"I don't care what it is we did..."

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #8398 on: March 15, 2016, 06:12:25 pm »
It's not intentional, mind you, but more of an over-sight by people who have designed anthropomorphic emojis, not the simple circular face ones, but the ones that look like people. Pretty much all of the many anthropo emojis I've ever seen were male gendered, no doubt just meant to be the "default" sex. But that is kinda lazy. I really liked the way the girls in this video expressed themselves. It's also kind of ironic that a menstrual hygiene product maker, Always, put out a corporate sponsored PSA that should maybe specifically mention that this is a great opportunity for designers working in .GIF and HTML code to produce and "market" lots of female gendered emojis. Overall, the PSA is kinda no big deal, except, once again, I realllly liked how smart, low-key, and self confident the girls and young women were in expressing their disappointment about this, albeit relatively minor, issue.

Yeah, the add is narmy as hell, and I think the idea that emojis are hurting the girls self esteem is absurd.  However, adding more emojis isn't a bad idea.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #8399 on: March 15, 2016, 10:09:36 pm »

Funny. I thought this same rhetoric was used to justify transphobic remarks on imageboards.

It justifies just about any bigoted insult thrown a minority's way by a sufficiently anonymous haggler. "Here's what happens when you step out of line..."
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.