Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 427651 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #1095 on: May 17, 2017, 07:11:24 pm »
Trump might be impeached, so let's get a reminder of how despicable Pence is.

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #1096 on: May 17, 2017, 07:38:23 pm »
Assuming Pence doesn't resign for being complicit in Trump's crimes. Of course, then we get Paul Ryan, so the same point stands.

Regardless, obviously the fight wouldn't end with Trump being removed from office.
Who needs a signature?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1097 on: May 17, 2017, 08:03:38 pm »
Ryan really doesn't want the White House.  Hell, he barely wants the Speaker position.  But I think they might get Pence on this due to Flynn.

Ironbite-see how this works out for us.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #1098 on: May 17, 2017, 08:18:11 pm »
Whether Ryan wants to be President or not, I doubt his ego would let him turn down the position if it came down to him being next in line to fill the office.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1099 on: May 17, 2017, 08:44:14 pm »
Well, if they get Trump before they get Pence, Pence could get to choose his new VP, which Ryan and McConnell might rush through so that Ryan doesn't have to become President.

EDIT: Of course, the reverse also applies, but Trump's incompetent enough that he might just select someone who's only 99.9% odious.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #1100 on: May 18, 2017, 12:07:33 am »
I don't hold a lot of hope for an impeachment. Not with a Republican Congress, and the fact that corrupt politicians tend to get away with shit.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1101 on: May 18, 2017, 12:13:18 am »
I don't hold a lot of hope for an impeachment. Not with a Republican Congress, and the fact that corrupt politicians tend to get away with shit.

They might, if they think Trump is damaging their brand enough that it will cost them the House in 2018 (I'm not assuming the Dems will take the House in 2018 right now), and that it will cost them their chance of picking off vulnerable Democrats like Manchin and Heitkamp. (Which might be partially moot if they get picked off in primaries, though whether said primary opponents could then win is an open question.)

But the Dems are targeting a few Republican Senators in 2018 despite the overwhelming geographical disadvantage they're at: Heller for sure, maybe Corker, possibly even Cruz.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1102 on: May 18, 2017, 05:57:57 am »
I am noticing a trend where people defend Trump quote about how he is being mistreated worse than any other president in history by claiming that it is out of context because it is missing part of the quote ...And then they add a part while carefully excluding one bit to make the quote seem better than it really was.

For example. Someone quotes “Look at the way I’ve been treated lately"
Then a random citizen who clearly is only defending the POTUS because he feels they are being treated unfairly says "at least use the full quote" and adds "by the media" as if that was the full quote.

In reality he said “Look at the way I’ve been treated lately, especially by the media,” ...Note "especially." He's not saying it's only the media he complains about. Also he said this:

"No politician in history – and I say this with great surety – has been treated worse or more unfairly.”

People are grasping at straws to find something to defend him and when that fails they will mislead and lie.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #1103 on: May 18, 2017, 08:29:11 am »
Those I've seen defend Trump online seem to fall into two categories.

The first, more numerous (or at least vocal) one are the alt-righters and their sympathizers for whom Trump is just a tool to bash the SJWs. He must be defended with all means because they seem to be very tribal and think politics in game terms: Trump is one of them and his success means they win in the game. Despite many of these people not even being Americans they take attacks against him very personally.

The other one are the occasional obsessive moderates for whom argument to moderation is a fundamental part of their thinking pattern. For them. since Trump is attacked so ferociously compared to other politicians there must be an unfair element somewhere. These people often seem to feel intellectually superior because they are able to raise themselves above what they see as a sheep herd blindly following a narrative.

Edit: I guess the anti-immigration fanatics are a third group. They are a bit different from the first group in that they see media's treatment of Trump as a part of the fight around the refugee crisis and immigration but it's not as central an issue as it is for the Internet warriors of alt-right. It's just another symptom of left-wing press being politically correct and while they point this out they are more interested in the local issues.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:37:31 am by SCarpelan »

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #1104 on: May 18, 2017, 09:49:24 am »

"No politician in history – and I say this with great surety – has been treated worse or more unfairly.”

To which I reply

"Kennedy. Lincoln. Garfield. McKinley. Reagan. Jackson. Taft. Roosevelt (both). Need I continue?"
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:50:59 am by Svata »
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #1105 on: May 18, 2017, 11:02:24 am »

To which I reply

"Kennedy. Lincoln. Garfield. McKinley. Reagan. Jackson. Taft. Roosevelt (both). Need I continue?"

Gaius Julius Caesar.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #1106 on: May 18, 2017, 11:34:24 am »
Franz Ferdinand
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1107 on: May 18, 2017, 01:09:29 pm »
Or how about Johan de Witt? The prime minister of Holland who was so hated that he was killed by an angry mob that went on to cook his liver (and that of his brother who was also assassinated) and eat it.

And that wasn't a mob going crazy either. Note that they specifially removed his liver and cooked it. Observers even noted that the mob did not just go crazy and start biting at him. His wikipedia article states that "a remarkable discipline was maintained by the mob, according to contemporary observers, making one doubt the spontaneity of the event."

Also the mob was made up from members of the "Orangist" movement so clearly it was time traveling Trump on one of his expeditions. ("Trump the time traveler" is currently one of my favourite crazy theories. How else can you explain that Trump claims to have invented the phrase "priming the pump" which has been used since 1920s? Clearly he invented it when he went back in time to crash the economy in USA. This theory also explains why he acts so erratic and disappears from the White house to "go golfing" and why he has such anachronistic racist views.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1108 on: May 18, 2017, 01:16:32 pm »
I have never heard of that theory but it does explain why all of his tweets from before he was elected President now apply to him.

pyro

« Reply #1109 on: May 18, 2017, 01:38:27 pm »

To which I reply

Just say "all of them." Being the "face" of a very powerful group basically make you the designated hate sink