Author Topic: Tabletop games thread  (Read 21799 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Tabletop games thread
« on: January 05, 2012, 02:21:31 am »
Because why not?

Because the last one we had was dominated largely by Warhammer 40k, I'd say let's continue on that thread with me mentioning how much I want the new Tau codex. BS 4 Fire Warriors? Kroot Master Shaper HQ? 3 Battlesuits as Troops for every Battlesuit Commander? Yes please.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
Re: Tabletop games thread
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 03:09:18 am »
Play Warhammer Fantasy.  Skaven, which are surprisingly cheap, points-wise.

Played a three-on-three with a couple of my friends with a 1500 point game.  They only had a couple of blocks of units, a couple of heroes and a lord.

I had four units of core, a gray seer lord, and four heroes.  Ended up being a draw, but then, my Skaven spent most of the battle, sitting there, eating cheesy popcorn, watching the other two  (Demons of Khorne and Vampire Counts) annihilate each other.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 05:34:23 am »
Twerps, Mythic, and Legends of Wrestling.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:09:01 am »
I'm going to start running a Vampire: the Requiem Dark Ages game next Wednesday. I have the story and NPCs built, and my players will build their PCs at the first game.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 12:24:10 pm »
AM putting together an army that is a mix of Cadian arms and assorted bits on the bodies of Empire State troops.  It's coming out a lot better than I'd hoped! 8)
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Oriet

• Homo sapiens scientia
  • Bishop
  • Disabled Vet MtF Polyamorous Atheist Auspie
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 03:41:46 pm »

I have actually created a site dedicated to talking about tabletop games, whether it's roleplaying, wargaming, cards, or what have you. While it is primarily focused on house rules, rules interpretations (which are essentially house rules light), custom/new rules, etc, it also has a place for talking about campaigns. I've been using it to post synopses of my sessions, so that everyone can reference it to remember what all has been going on or to just enjoy what's happening in a campaign.

Here it is, in all it's glory!

Everyone is very welcome to use it to talk about their games, even if you're not into house rules and only wish to use it as a place to talk about your campaigns. If there's a category or game you want added in I'll do it as soon as I know.

Do not take this to mean you should only talk about game stuff there, as that is not at all what I want. I want people to continue talking about stuff on FSTDT, but I'd also like people to know about and use my site for more in depth discussions and such on tabletop gaming, and would love it if people would also share it with people they game with who otherwise wouldn't want to be or be wanted on the FSTDT forums.

HouseruleGaming has no official affiliation with FSTDT. Both sites are fully independent of one another with different focuses on their content. While this post is made as an endorsement of HouseruleGaming it is me doing so as a user of FSTDT and not as a Moderator.

All that being said...

I've been running a Star Wars campaign for the last several months. People can read the synopses of all of its sessions here. Basically it started the same as Episode One, except the characters were replacing Jinn and Kenobi as Republic black ops/negotiators. The characters have done so much to both thwart and aid Palpatine's plans and goals, as well as greatly changed the power balance in the Republic and the standing of the leadership of the Jedi Order. Some of the characters have had so much influence that they are being given a lot of power, and so will be retired as NPCs.

I'm also planning on running a Star Trek campaign, though I'm still not quite sure when it'll start. I still have to finish writing all of the rules into a single document and flesh them out some more, as it is a fully custom system I've been making. I'm also changing how some of the technology and society will be working to make it more believable and not so über powerful, while making sure that the general feel and capabilities are still intact.

I've also been playing in a Dark Heresy game (with a lot of house rules I've made, though some are going to be tweaked), which has been a lot of fun.

I also enjoy playing Warhammer 40K. I have a Tau army and a Space Marine army, which can both field around 1,500 points. I can also play small games (500-1,000) with Imperial Guardsmen and Witch Hunters (though not nearly as many Sisters as I'd like), and have started an Ork army.

In the past I've played D&D (2nd, 3rd, and 3.5), Pathfinder, d20 Star Wars, d20 Modern, Alternity, GURPS, WEG d6 Star Wars, Buck Rogers:High Cliffhangers, Vampire the Masquerade, and Big Eyes Small Mouth (not the d20 version). For card games I've played Pokémon, Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Mechwarrior.

So, yeah. If you couldn't tell I'm pretty big into tabletop gaming.
The Rules, get to know them.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 05:20:33 pm »
I've been big into table top gaming for a while, with pretty much anything being given a spin.

I've played D&D 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, and Essentials.

Pathfinder for a very short spat.

Various home made RPGs, ranging from Phantasy Star Universe to Resident Evil to Star Wars and every other kind of genre.

I play Pokemon, Magic, Yugioh, and just recently got into the UFS with the Soul Calibur cards. I also have been working on making a card game of my own.

If anyone wants to help work out a system so we can play a game here at the forums or on an IM, I'd totally look into it.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 07:09:42 pm »
So I'm thinking about homebrewing up my own Kamen Rider class for a d20 system.  Why am I doing this?  Because I've been inspired by a new game.  Think of it as....a bridge between 3.5, Pathfinder, and 4.0.  That game is called Legend.  It seems cool but I'm not entirely satisfied with the so called "Vigilante" Track.  Just doesn't do enough for me.  But I think I have a plan to create a viable Kamen Rider class that can be used in a d20 system.  Such as Pathfinder or even D&D.

Ironbite-should be fun to do.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 12:34:51 am »
Magic, Yugioh

For Magic, my main decks were my old tournament Wither deck from Lorwyn/Shadowmoore and Alara and the burn deck I made for fun. Currently, I use just the Wither deck because I retooled the burn deck into a burn/counterspell deck and didn't like the result, but have been too lazy to retool it back.

For Yu-Gi-Oh, my main deck is a Dragunity deck because I only relatively recently (August) got back into the game and the Dragunity Structure Deck made a good starting point.
(click to show/hide)
Who needs a signature?

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 12:59:44 am »
*Whistles* Not a bad deck you have there Waldorf, but as a personal criticism, I might recommend focusing a tad bit more on the actual Draguinities (But that's just me). Just curious though, do you play on Duel Network?

I use either a deck based around the Gradius game ships (except without the original Gradius card), or a Princess deck based on Pikeru and Curran.

As for Magic, I might recommend Phyrexia's poisonous traits from the recent trek back into Mirrodin. Basically, they got a special ability that is Wither... Only better.

I usually use either my Eldrazi, being a fan of that kind of play, or I use an old Kamigawa deck based around the Zubera's and the Myojin.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 03:37:46 am »
*Whistles* Not a bad deck you have there Waldorf, but as a personal criticism, I might recommend focusing a tad bit more on the actual Draguinities (But that's just me). Just curious though, do you play on Duel Network?

I do have a DN account, but I only use it with friends. Also, KagetoKage is in there for easy summoning of Utopia and Light and Darkness Dragon is in there for a combo with Dragunity Arma Leyvaten. Masked Dragon is there for Dragon searching and Shield Wing is in there for defense. Garuda and Hunter Owl are the only ones that are really out of place if you ask me. I'd probably drop Garuda if I could find a Dragunity Phalanx.

As for Magic, I might recommend Phyrexia's poisonous traits from the recent trek back into Mirrodin. Basically, they got a special ability that is Wither... Only better.

I fucking HATE Infect. Its a god awful, broken mechanic that I got sick of halfway through Besieged and I don't even play tournaments anymore. Its not "Wither, only better" its "Wither, only broken."
Who needs a signature?

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 11:11:42 am »

I do have a DN account, but I only use it with friends. Also, KagetoKage is in there for easy summoning of Utopia and Light and Darkness Dragon is in there for a combo with Dragunity Arma Leyvaten. Masked Dragon is there for Dragon searching and Shield Wing is in there for defense. Garuda and Hunter Owl are the only ones that are really out of place if you ask me. I'd probably drop Garuda if I could find a Dragunity Phalanx.

I fucking HATE Infect. Its a god awful, broken mechanic that I got sick of halfway through Besieged and I don't even play tournaments anymore. Its not "Wither, only better" its "Wither, only broken."

*Nods* fair enough.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 03:08:52 pm »
Hey, got some good/bad news everyone. Wizards of the Coast recently announced that the 5th Edition of D&D was put into planning. While there isn't much information, they have given a few points of interest. One of the major ones is how it is going to be played, it is supposed to be modular, allowing each DM to build the rules how they want to play. How exactly this going to work isn't clear yet, but they are allowing an open playtest in the future and are already accepting applications (I signed up).

As people can guess, this has already started yet another edition war. To make matters worse, all of the editions are being asked what to include, so there are a lot of flame-y conversations going on.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 06:03:24 pm »
Also heard that character creation is gonna be a ton different then it used to be which has set off a bunch of flame-wars already.

Ironbite-I'll stick to 3.5, Pathfinder, and Legend thank you very much.

Offline NonProphet

• Apprentice
  • Bowties are cool.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 06:27:45 pm »
I'm actually interested in seeing what 5th edition will be like.
The edition-fanatics and their constant flamewars seem silly to me. The same thing happened when 2nd edition was announced. And 3rd. And 3.5. And 4th.
D&D changes. Hell, it HAS to in order to continue selling. I still don't understand the people who vehemently hate all later editions (one guy I know thinks Birthright is the most perfect system ever, but that it "needs more math").

I've played D&D Original, 1e, AD&D, 2nd ed., 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder, 4e & Essentials. I like 3.5, Pathfinder, and 4e. All have their merits, and I enjoy the level of control over my characters I have in all of them.

As for other games, I also play:
Shadowrun (latest edition)
BESM/Big Eyes Small Mouth - both TriStat and d20
D20 Modern
Call of Cthulhu (usually d20 as well)
The latest batch of White Wolf's "Vampire" & "Changeling" games
Star Wars: Saga Edition

I have played GURPS, Hero System, and Rifts; unfortunately, I just couldn't get into them.
I'm currently building 2 BESM campaigns. One is anime-based, the other one is superheroes... because the system is PERFECT for superheroes.