Author Topic: Scientology and Australia's 'child labour camp'  (Read 9252 times)

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
Re: Scientology and Australia's 'child labour camp'
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 09:30:11 pm »
Out of interest, but do I have this right?

Scientology preaches that several million years ago (or last week) an Alien came to earth and threw thousands of people into a volcano (for whatever reason) and that this same alien will come again and be nice to everyone, but in the meantime the souls are stuck on me like band-aids?

And do they also believe all the works of L Ron Hubbard are actually fact?

Yeah, and there's something about aliens setting of nuclear bombs in there too.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 09:43:22 pm »
Really what Scientology is.  It's a bar bet disguised as a pyramid scheme disguised as a cult disguised as a religion.

Ironbite-that's all.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 11:15:41 pm »
Really what Scientology is.  It's a bar bet disguised as a pyramid scheme disguised as a cult disguised as a religion.

Ironbite-that's all.

I remember reading that i came from a bet between L. Ron Hubbard and another shitty sci-fi writer over who could start the biggest cult of personality.

The story also involved the aliens flying spaceships that looked like DC-10s to carry the prisoners to the volcanoes. The CoS also has it's own cruise ship used for something like this I assume.

Does anyone know the actual location of this prison? It sounds about on par with that "straight camp" who's rules made the top 100. Honestly if I lived in Australia I would be finding it and kicking in the door, holding a crowbar which I'd use to "reeducate" the (Not able to represent strong enough word)s who run that (Not able to represent strong enough word).

If I was shorter I wish I could sneak in as a kid named Reznov, just saying.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 11:26:41 pm »
The horrifying, very illegal child labor is old news.

But...seriously, they think all the works of L. Ron Hubbard are true?  Like Slaves of Sleep?  Because I can't see how an alternate dream-world like that is at all compatible with Scientology.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 01:07:52 am »

Ironbite-that's all.

I remember reading that i came from a bet between L. Ron Hubbard and another shitty sci-fi writer over who could start the biggest cult of personality.

The story also involved the aliens flying spaceships that looked like DC-10s to carry the prisoners to the volcanoes. The CoS also has it's own cruise ship used for something like this I assume.

Does anyone know the actual location of this prison? It sounds about on par with that "straight camp" who's rules made the top 100. Honestly if I lived in Australia I would be finding it and kicking in the door, holding a crowbar which I'd use to "reeducate" the (Not able to represent strong enough word)s who run that (Not able to represent strong enough word).

If I was shorter I wish I could sneak in as a kid named Reznov, just saying.
It was Heinlien
One of the reasons people dislike Scientology is it's secrecy.  The part about aliens carrying souls to volcanoes is knowledge reserved for the top paying scientologists

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 01:32:10 am »
Ah, Scientology.

A religion that one can point to and say "Nothing good has ever come from this"

Unless I'm wrong about that, but regardless, there are many beliefs I will defend because I believe people have the right to believe whatever they want, even in unicorns and dragons and launching fireballs from your hands... however, Scientology is one system of beliefs I will never defend.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 02:22:11 am »
Goddamnit, in my home city, no less. Fuck Scientology and fuck religion in general. Shit like this is why they should not be tax-exempt and completely unregulated.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 04:29:21 am »
Goddamnit, in my home city, no less. Fuck Scientology and fuck religion in general.

Hey now--

Shit like this is why they should not be tax-exempt and completely unregulated.

--that's far too nice.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 04:56:43 am »
Ah, Scientology.

Now that you mention it, I honestly cannot think of a single good thing about Scientology. At least the abrahamic religions have vague notions to be good to your fellow man that most of the moderates follow. However to my very limited understanding of Scientology, there is no actual reason to be good, or do good, only that they have to pay the church more money. Considering the amounts they need to pay at higher levels I cant see them doing anything other than screwing over others to afford it.

We should create a challenge for someone to mention just one good thing that has come from Scientology. I think even the Mormons have managed to achieve more good.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 05:12:26 am »
We should create a challenge for someone to mention just one good thing that has come from Scientology. I think even the Mormons have managed to achieve more good.
I can think of one. When you find yourself arguing with a bleeding heart hippie in favour of lining up various groups you don't like and having them shot, bringing up the Scientologists will get pretty much anyone on board with the idea, regardless of how much of a weenie (s)he is.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 05:58:10 am »
Ah, Scientology.

Now that you mention it, I honestly cannot think of a single good thing about Scientology. At least the abrahamic religions have vague notions to be good to your fellow man that most of the moderates follow. However to my very limited understanding of Scientology, there is no actual reason to be good, or do good, only that they have to pay the church more money. Considering the amounts they need to pay at higher levels I cant see them doing anything other than screwing over others to afford it.

There is a Scientology group of sects called the Free Zone, which is similar beliefs (though it varies), but outside the main Church hierachy, and don't believe in the charging part. Naturally the main church thinks they're heretics who pervert its beliefs.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 07:08:21 am »
Ah, Scientology.

Oh I dunno, it led to Tom Cruise making a complete tit of himself on TV a few times, which more than made up for paying to see Top Gun.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Servo

• Bishop
  • Wait... what?
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 07:09:58 am »
Must renew passport...Must read up on Aussie gun laws...Must buy insanely expensive plane ticket...

You may have a hard time getting a gun, just saying...

Still, I'm quite shocked this is happening in my home country and that nobody is doing anything about it apparently.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 07:10:58 am »

Scientology preaches that several million years ago (or last week) an Alien came to earth and threw thousands of people into a volcano (for whatever reason) and that this same alien will come again and be nice to everyone, but in the meantime the souls are stuck on me like band-aids?

So now Hubbard's dead, who runs it? 

And if they don't publish their beliefs freely (as all other religions do) why aren't they legally a cult, in the same way the Manson family was?
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 07:57:23 am »

So now Hubbard's dead, who runs it? 

And if they don't publish their beliefs freely (as all other religions do) why aren't they legally a cult, in the same way the Manson family was?

Think it's currently run by David Miscaviage. Though they keep digging up "hidden" new works by Hubbard.