Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2071329 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7650 on: July 22, 2014, 12:36:23 am »
I just got turned down for a job that I was perfectly qualified for to the point that I should have been a shoe-in for it.

Lately, it seems like being "perfectly qualified for the job" is the biggest turn-off employers have.

They're rather have someone underqualified so they can pay them less :/
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7651 on: July 22, 2014, 03:21:00 am »
I just got turned down for a job that I was perfectly qualified for to the point that I should have been a shoe-in for it.

Lately, it seems like being "perfectly qualified for the job" is the biggest turn-off employers have.

Remeber it's not all about qualifications.  There are a million different, mostly stupid, reasons an employer might turn you down especially if you have an interview.  Everything from they didn't like your deoderant to they way you sat in the chair and combinations of everything in between can influence them.  Those things are probably actually more important than qualifications in some ways.  It might be something of a myth as I can't remember the source of this, but supposedly an interviewer will have already made up their mind as to whether or not they're going to hire you within the first  5 or 10 seconds of meeting you.

It's infuriatingly unfair but that's the way people are.  Everyone, whether people like to admit it to themselves or not.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:32:48 am by Katsuro »

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #7652 on: July 22, 2014, 04:05:29 am »

Remeber it's not all about qualifications.  There are a million different, mostly stupid, reasons an employer might turn you down especially if you have an interview.  Everything from they didn't like your deoderant to they way you sat in the chair and combinations of everything in between can influence them.  Those things are probably actually more important than qualifications in some ways.  It might be something of a myth as I can't remember the source of this, but supposedly an interviewer will have already made up their mind as to whether or not they're going to hire you within the first  5 or 10 seconds of meeting you.

It's infuriatingly unfair but that's the way people are.  Everyone, whether people like to admit it to themselves or not.

Now, remember though, some of those little nuances can tell a lot about a person's personality. Someone who slouches in their chair a lot or sits like they want to prop their feet up send possible signals of apathy or rebellion, something most companies aren't too well to desire. Body language is a very powerful thing, which is why a lot of "self-help" books pound in the whole "Look confident even if you aren't".

Smells, such as your example of deodorant, can also spell out possible issues. If you smell "different" than what is expected, this can be a signal of distance and attempting to stand out, breaking "work culture" as it were. On the other hand, smells also influence things like mood (as do colors), which is just a bitch.

Somewhat related:

Walmart for instance has a nice little weeding process when you apply. You go through a survey answering from strong disagree to strong agree. Now, while this might seem like an obvious personality test, it actually works differently than might be assumed. They actually give almost no fucks about what you answer as opposed to how you answer, they want people who put either full tilt agree or disagree since it signals confidence and snap decision making. This can be used to find possible leaders and most importantly, find people who will do as desired without question (Anyone who does rebel can simply be fired).

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7653 on: July 22, 2014, 05:13:28 am »
...When did applying for a job become as complicated as rocket surgery?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7654 on: July 22, 2014, 06:47:10 am »
After dealing with a big interview and discussing interview experiences with tons of people, it's much more about your personality and how you'll fit in to the company than it is qualifications. Companies vary so much in their work that you have to learn a ton on the job anyway, but if you can't get along with existing workers, then you probably shouldn't work there.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:50:59 am by Sleepy »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7655 on: July 22, 2014, 07:51:21 am »
This is very, VERY appropriate to the current topic:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g00_BjvepGQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g00_BjvepGQ</a>
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7656 on: July 22, 2014, 08:17:42 am »
When software updates try to install shitty toolbars. If I wanted I giant fuckoff pile of clutterware on my browser, I'd install it myself. Just give me my goddamn update.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7657 on: July 22, 2014, 09:43:54 am »

So when a job description includes a bachelor's degree as the minimum qualification but says a master's is preferred, they're really lying and actually don't want someone with a master's degree? And here I thought I was being turned down from those positions because they were hiring people with master's degrees instead.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7658 on: July 22, 2014, 09:48:53 am »

So when a job description includes a bachelor's degree as the minimum qualification but says a master's is preferred, they're really lying and actually don't want someone with a master's degree? And here I thought I was being turned down from those positions because they were hiring people with master's degrees instead.

Why pay someone perfectly qualified what they're actually worth when you can pay someone that's just barely qualified less and save money?

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7659 on: July 22, 2014, 10:31:54 am »
Except I've applied for and been turned down from several jobs that I am just barely qualified for as well. Until now, I thought that was because I wasn't as qualified as other applicants, but if that isn't the case, what am I doing wrong?

(don't mind me, I just have an impending loan to pay and I still have to live at my parents' house among other things)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:35:36 am by Random Guy »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7660 on: July 22, 2014, 09:49:05 pm »
It annoys me when people forget that Japan has a lot of racism, xenophobia, and sexism in its culture.

It annoys me even more when those people are SJWs.

It annoys me also that I don't hear of the potential efforts for civil rights in Japan, so I have no idea how things are going there.

I will say, though, I like how Japan is very much a culture of introverts, compared to my country's culture of loud and nosy extroverts...

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7661 on: July 23, 2014, 05:35:19 am »
Today, I discovered that eating a bag of microwave popcorn immediately after de-glassing a window frame is a really bad idea.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #7662 on: July 24, 2014, 08:55:41 pm »
I hate how youtube comments no longer load with the page when you open a video.  Whenever I scroll down, everything suddenly locks up or lags for a minute because comment loading was triggered, and my shitty laptop hates it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:57:24 pm by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7663 on: July 25, 2014, 05:35:46 am »
Being ill with something flu-like resulting in you running a mild fever during a heat wave.  Fuck me.  I don't even know how I've stayed conscious the past few days.  Part of me kind of wishes I hadn't.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7664 on: July 25, 2014, 08:35:18 am »
The server on which I play has decided to axe RotaryCraft and ReactorCraft, the only two mods in which I had a vested interest.  Why'd they axe it?  Because the authors of the TPPI mod pack refuse to do any real tech support if someone adds any of Reika's mods to the fucking thing.  So, either they have a vendetta against Reika and his mods, or they're simply incompetent.  I'm betting its just sheer incompetence.