Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2075390 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10290 on: December 27, 2016, 03:34:51 pm »
What I'm talking about is how the term is being thrown about to describe "something I don't like." Kind of like how wingnuts call everything they disagree with "communism."

But I think my observation went over your head. Communism is a set of values as they relate to policies that one can readily ascertain and measure by a set of criteria, for which there is a general consensus (i.e. ask "what is the policy" and then read The Communist Manifesto and Das Kapital, and see if the policy meshes with those writings). The alt-right is noticeably more vague in what it believes, being a hodge-podge of various groups that believe white men have it so hard, and lashing out at others for their perceived misfortune. The alt-right has two other reasons that hamper its clarity as a philosophy. The first is that, aside from Breitbart, it lacks any kind of centralized organization or entity, making it more susceptible to fragmentation of beliefs. Second, like I said above, many followers of the alt-right will openly dismiss their beliefs or actions as "mere irony" if given any scrutiny.

I mean, it takes a special kind of shitty person to say "lets send all blacks back to Africa" or to throw up a nazi salute with a "heil hitler," only to follow it up by saying "no, you take it too literally. I was just being ironic and exuberant, you sjw."

Oh, I understand full well what you're talking about. What I'm saying is that even considering that, the term is overused. People are affixing the label to anybody critical of certain people, ideas, or policies, regardless of their actual positions.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #10291 on: December 27, 2016, 04:10:52 pm »
What I'm talking about is how the term is being thrown about to describe "something I don't like." Kind of like how wingnuts call everything they disagree with "communism."

But I think my observation went over your head. Communism is a set of values as they relate to policies that one can readily ascertain and measure by a set of criteria, for which there is a general consensus (i.e. ask "what is the policy" and then read The Communist Manifesto and Das Kapital, and see if the policy meshes with those writings). The alt-right is noticeably more vague in what it believes, being a hodge-podge of various groups that believe white men have it so hard, and lashing out at others for their perceived misfortune. The alt-right has two other reasons that hamper its clarity as a philosophy. The first is that, aside from Breitbart, it lacks any kind of centralized organization or entity, making it more susceptible to fragmentation of beliefs. Second, like I said above, many followers of the alt-right will openly dismiss their beliefs or actions as "mere irony" if given any scrutiny.

I mean, it takes a special kind of shitty person to say "lets send all blacks back to Africa" or to throw up a nazi salute with a "heil hitler," only to follow it up by saying "no, you take it too literally. I was just being ironic and exuberant, you sjw."

Oh, I understand full well what you're talking about. What I'm saying is that even considering that, the term is overused. People are affixing the label to anybody critical of certain people, ideas, or policies, regardless of their actual positions.

That sounds like an alt-right thing to say. You alt-right.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #10292 on: December 27, 2016, 04:41:19 pm »
People are affixing the label to anybody critical of certain people

Like those critical of black people?
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #10293 on: December 27, 2016, 05:58:22 pm »

I'm talking about individuals.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that using the label "alt-right" where it doesn't apply is dangerous, because it both dilutes the meaning of the term and allows actual alt-rightists to more easily seduce people to their cause.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #10294 on: December 27, 2016, 06:25:47 pm »

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that using the label "alt-right" where it doesn't apply is dangerous, because it both dilutes the meaning of the term and allows actual alt-rightists to more easily seduce people to their cause.

I don't really think the alt-right cares what we call them. Unless we call them jews, that would really upset them.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10295 on: December 27, 2016, 06:41:12 pm »

I don't really think the alt-right cares what we call them. Unless we call them jews, that would really upset them.

Or cucks, or betas, or Nazis...
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #10296 on: December 27, 2016, 06:54:40 pm »

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that we shouldn't use the term "alt-right" willy-nilly. Using it for actual alt-rightists is fine.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #10297 on: December 27, 2016, 10:17:06 pm »
That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that we shouldn't use the term "alt-right" willy-nilly. Using it for actual alt-rightists is fine.

And I'm not taking your argument seriously. The alt-right works by being vague and "ironic" while phrasing disgusting ideas in a palatable manner. Against this backdrop, I find it far better to err on the side of over-inclusivity, if only to be safe as not doing so will give the alt-right a new way to rephrase its white-nationalism in a more palatable sense. The alt-right has every right to exist as a group and belief, that is how freedoms work, but it needs to be shunned and nipped in the bud socially so that it doesn't shift the overton window and normalize white nationalism.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #10298 on: December 27, 2016, 11:59:14 pm »

And I'm not taking your argument seriously. The alt-right works by being vague and "ironic" while phrasing disgusting ideas in a palatable manner. Against this backdrop, I find it far better to err on the side of over-inclusivity, if only to be safe as not doing so will give the alt-right a new way to rephrase its white-nationalism in a more palatable sense. The alt-right has every right to exist as a group and belief, that is how freedoms work, but it needs to be shunned and nipped in the bud socially so that it doesn't shift the overton window and normalize white nationalism.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I think what you're suggesting could very easily backfire.

But I don't want to go off half-cocked. How "over-inclusive" are we talking here?

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #10299 on: December 28, 2016, 03:11:21 pm »

I can understand where you're coming from, but I think what you're suggesting could very easily backfire.

But I don't want to go off half-cocked. How "over-inclusive" are we talking here?

Key words, "err on the side." And it is necessary due to the alt-right's "ironic" use of racism and sexism. IDK if you've checked out the gamergate delenda est thread, but it has a bit of reasoning that applies: if we create a workable definition of alt-right and limit its use to those circumstances, then its supporters will simply avoid those parts to remain palatable to the general populace. The label "alt-right" is simply a repackaging and rebranding of the same tired racism and fascism that our grandparents and great-grandparents fought against. To focus on labels and hard criteria over substance and beliefs is to allow them to rebrand again in the future after the alt-right is shown for the hate-group that it is. Much like a point I made in that thread, if you define racism so narrowly as to only be saying the n-word, then it's totes not racist for those twitter-troglodytes to go on hate-fueled campaigns calling Leslie Jones "Harambe." Except for the fact that it is racism, it is offensive, and it needs to be called such.

Hell, if I had my choice, I'd call them fascists or nazis before calling them alt-right.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10300 on: December 28, 2016, 03:14:54 pm »
Realized that I still haven't watched the 4th Transformers film so I went to watch some clips on the Youtube and eventually read the plot from Wikipedia. Even though it has several actors I like the film seemed like absolute rubbish. Silly plot and cartoonish characters side by side with what appears to be attempts at serious moments and scary looking characters but the pieces don't fit together and it just doesn't seem to work.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #10301 on: December 28, 2016, 03:22:34 pm »
Realized that I still haven't watched the 4th Transformers film so I went to watch some clips on the Youtube and eventually read the plot from Wikipedia. Even though it has several actors I like the film seemed like absolute rubbish. Silly plot and cartoonish characters side by side with what appears to be attempts at serious moments and scary looking characters but the pieces don't fit together and it just doesn't seem to work.

That is actually the only one that I've seen, it was eh.

Online ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10302 on: December 28, 2016, 03:36:29 pm »
I jumped out of the Bayformers round Revenge of the Fallen.  Just couldn't do it anymore.

Ironbite-and yeah, 4th one is garbage.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #10303 on: December 30, 2016, 09:31:36 pm »
My L plates are late in the mail, if they even arrive god knows. Cant find decent resources to learn finnish, havnt recieved any email back from monash masters supervisors. Think theyre on holiday but i dunno when they come back.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #10304 on: January 01, 2017, 10:13:57 pm »
Just a query, is "Islamism" the same as Wahhabism, the inspiring ideology of Al Queda, the Taliban and ISIS? Or os it any promtion of the Islamic religion or its values? Does it represent radical Shia or Sunni beliefs?

It's nice to know what the defining features of an ideology is before condemning people for defending it.