Author Topic: How to suck at your religion  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
How to suck at your religion
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:06:11 pm »
A buddy of mine sent me this webcomic, and I just felt compelled to post it here.

It's long, but pretty self-explanatory.  Enjoy.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
Re: How to suck at your religion
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 02:25:57 am »
I feel that calling it sucking at your religion is wrong. People who do all the things we hate / find annoying, are actually following their religion more closely despite all the twists, contradictions and mental gymnastics.

Preferably we want more people to actually suck at their religion so that they don't do all the stupid stuff.

Offline Mrs Scratchitt

• Neonate
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 03:36:02 am »
I concur with Sylvana - although religion does have a tendency to attract cheap thinkers, it's not the only thing that does so.

I think that religion is a supporting crutch for many people and the best way 'not to suck at their religion' is to provide that person with space to grow and explore their own mind (which is not always given, especially in intensive religious melting-pots like the Bible Belt), along with support/facilitation to bring that person out of their religious shell, to actually think about some of the bits their religion dictates is too damaging/frightening/immoral to think about.

Teach the person to think well and, if my guess is right, they'll be much less sucky at many things.

God, I can talk some bullshit when I want to. Sorry everybody.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 03:41:18 am »
I liked the "a flaccid penis is a righteous penis" and "everytime someone has homosexual intercourse, God punishes us by making nickelback release another album" bits.

But yeah, it was ok. Nothing special though
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:44:32 am by Deimos »
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 12:17:24 pm »
I chuckled. The Oatmeal is pretty good I think. I think I'm going to start using the phrase "beautiful cosmic shitstorm" to describe the universe now, too.