Author Topic: Defund Affordable Care Act Or We'll Shut Down Government  (Read 58877 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Defund Affordable Care Act Or We'll Shut Down Government
« Reply #330 on: October 18, 2013, 11:25:08 am »
"Unfortunately," declared Cruz, just in case anyone might still be thinking of voting Republican, "once again it appears the Washington establishment is refusing to listen to the American people."

Only some of them, dearie.  If you give everyone an ear, you'll go deaf.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #331 on: October 18, 2013, 01:07:55 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/permanent-science-gap-left-by-u-s-government-shutdown-1.2101514

So scientific research may well be irreparably harmed by the shutdown:

Thousands of experiments were put on ice during the shutdown, an innumerable amount of data was not collected as scheduled and millions of dollars were wasted, CBC science columnist Torah Kachur reports.

The monitoring of disease outbreaks by the Centers for Disease Control, climate indicators by U.S. Antarctic research stations and asteroids by NASA are among the projects that were suspended during the shutdown, Kachur said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/u-s-shutdown-climbdown-the-triumph-of-the-republican-surrender-monkeys-1.2101877

Meanwhile, Ted Cruz and his ilk are declaring victory:

Where else but modern America could someone like Republican Sen. Ted Cruz, the Tea Party champion from Texas, accomplish what he just did?

This is a man who, having led a spectacularly pointless rebellion against his own party's leadership, declared a "remarkable victory" when the government shutdown clanked and wheezed to its inglorious end Wednesday afternoon.

Not a Pyrrhic victory, mind you. That would imply actually winning something while losing the larger war.

No, Cruz declared victory on behalf of the Tea Party insurgency after winning absolutely nothing.

And when it was all over, and the courtly Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell rose in the chamber to concede utter defeat on live television, Cruz marched up to the cameras in the hallway outside, effectively interrupting McConnell's speech to denounce him and the entire party establishment as gutless sellouts.

"Unfortunately," declared Cruz, just in case anyone might still be thinking of voting Republican, "once again it appears the Washington establishment is refusing to listen to the American people."

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #332 on: October 18, 2013, 01:19:00 pm »

I think this is exactly how out-of-touch the crazies in the GOP are. Either that, or they're desperately lying about their intentions. Washington clearly IS listening to the American people; that's why the GOP didn't get what they wanted in the first place. As soon as they couldn't get their way through the support of The American People (TM), they decided to engage in what was essentially extortion and sabotage until everyone else caved to them.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #333 on: October 18, 2013, 02:19:38 pm »
TYT has an idea what Cruz's plan may have been.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EO9b0ESas0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EO9b0ESas0</a>
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #334 on: October 18, 2013, 02:57:50 pm »
Oooooohh! This is going to be good! Cruz/Palin as the GOP candidates!

That will win the Teaparty vote and the diehard vote (the people who vote for THEIR party no matter what) but can they get votes from moderates? Can they get votes from people unaffiliated with the parties?

That is such a clear loss unless the Democrats somehow fuck this up utterly.

So it's going to be 50/50.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #335 on: October 18, 2013, 04:03:20 pm »
Ted Cruz = AsshatDouchecanoeAnal DrippingShiteburger.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #336 on: October 18, 2013, 06:53:14 pm »
How can he run he's Canadian

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #337 on: October 18, 2013, 07:03:37 pm »
Shhhhh! Don't tell them! I want a chance for the ground swell of idiotic support to get frenzied before that bomb gets dropped. :P
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #338 on: October 18, 2013, 07:33:13 pm »
His mom is American.

Ironbite-so he's just like Obama.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #339 on: October 18, 2013, 08:40:18 pm »
Yes but you have to be born on US soil I think

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #340 on: October 18, 2013, 08:44:35 pm »
His mom is American.

Ironbite-so he's just like Obama.
Where's the birth certificate?!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #341 on: October 18, 2013, 08:58:12 pm »

If Romney and McCain are eligible, so is Cruzy.

Ironbite-for the lulziest victory ever.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #342 on: October 18, 2013, 09:57:36 pm »

Off the top of my head: If you're born overseas to at least one American parent and come live in the US before you turn five, you still count as a natural-born citizen.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #343 on: October 18, 2013, 10:21:48 pm »
If both of your parents are U.S. citizens when you are born in another country, you are a citizen at birth who can run for President someday. If only one parent is a U.S. citizen, and you are born outside U.S. territory, you are a citizen at birth, but cannot become President or Vice President.

Cruz has one U.S. citizen parent, and was born in Canada. He enjoys dual citizenship, qualifies to be a U.S. Senator, but by not also being born in U.S. territory, he is barred from the Presidency, and the Vice Presidency. I hate Cruz, but I think the rule is stupid and antiquated. I also don't care for da Ahnold, but he is a loyal naturalized citizen, and should be able to run for Prez, too.

However, I am oh so looking forward to the rage and derpery when Cruz' disqualification becomes known, because Guess Who is gonna be screaming louder than anyone? Every fuckwit who tried to wish away the fact that Obama was born in Hawaii and is totally a citizen enough to be President.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #344 on: October 18, 2013, 10:43:08 pm »
^ That's some ridiculous nit-picking. Who's idea was that?   ::)
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.