Author Topic: Keystone XL  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Keystone XL
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:55:52 pm »
Well, this topic has been going on for a while, and I think we should talk about it here.

http://www.nwf.org/Global-Warming/Policy-Solutions/Drilling-and-Mining/Tar-Sands/Keystone-XL-Pipeline.aspx

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/opinion/nocera-the-politics-of-keystone-take-2.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-the-keystone-xl-pipeline/2011/12/19/gIQApUAX8P_story.html

http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/keystone-xl-pipeline-just-the-facts-20111208

Basically Obama denied them their permit to create this pipeline. From what I heard, the Canadian's pipelines often had a lot of leaks, which caused problems and this pipeline would be much worse. It would also harm the water supply and environment, although they aren't going through the sand hills in Nebraska.

Also, they are using tar, and not oil, which means they have to pump it with hydrocarbons before it can be used.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
Re: Keystone XL
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 04:11:31 pm »
The main reason that the Obama administration deigned the permit was because the GOP controlled congress passed legislation giving the administration only a few months to review the permit application.  That is far to short a time to review a construction project of this size.

As far as using oil coming from tar sands, yes if causes more CO2 to be releases per gallon then standard oil, but overall that extra is quite small.  Using tar sands is not going to be a death nail.

That being said I do think it is time that money should be going into developing renewable energy technologies instead.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:43:51 pm »
It is absolutely ridiculous that my state and federal governments continue to subsidise the coal, oil and gas industries- often far more than the renewable energy sector. It's even more absurd that the oil and gas industries have been able to leverage their lobbyists to change government policy towards wind farms, which (in NSW) are now facing new, much tougher regulation and are more difficult to get approval for than a coal-fired mine. Oil-paid lobbyists also love to pretend that there are health problems with wind farms, despite the outrageous hypocrisy. Even worse, oil propagandists claim that wind farms are ugly- as if that's a legitimate criticism.

This is pure political manipulation with the intention of gaining a competitive advantage. The idea is to hobble or crush a new industry before it can save the planet.

(Not really on topic. but very angry about this)
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:57:29 pm »
Thats alright...go ahead and sing it my friend!
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 06:45:11 pm »
But what about the job opportunites?? See, Obama doesn't give a shit about the unemployed, and it's all his fault that gas prices are high!!  /whiny conservatard

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:24:47 pm »
According to one of my links the "20,000 temporary jobs" were "person-years of employment — a single job that lasts two years is counted twice"
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast