Author Topic: Anti-vaxxers are dumb thread  (Read 28931 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Anti-vaxxers are dumb thread
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2014, 05:58:25 pm »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2014, 07:12:52 pm »
*snipped for length*

... I almost want to suggest you spoiler that whole thing for sheer size, but at the same time, the rebuttal is fucking amazing.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2014, 07:13:08 pm »
Pretty sure polio and many of these other illnesses aren't "mild", but whatever.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2014, 07:25:53 pm »

Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2014, 10:20:47 pm »
I'd like the rebuttal better if it weren't written in all caps.

Also, with all the risks children go through every day, why are vaccines the unacceptable one?  They're probably more at risk riding in the car with you than they are getting an adverse reaction from a vaccine.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2014, 10:56:21 pm »
Also, with all the risks children go through every day, why are vaccines the unacceptable one?  They're probably more at risk riding in the car with you than they are getting an adverse reaction from a vaccine.

The short answer is people are stupid about cost-benefit analysis.

The long answer is the various ways people can be stupid in this regard, including:

When evaluating two courses of action (not vaccinating vs vaccinating), people who are uncertain tend to default to doing nothing.

Related to the above, parents are much more likely to feel guilty over side-effects of vaccinating than those of not vaccinating, because it's framed as "a choice I made" vs "something that happened". This still applies with things that aren't actually caused by vaccines as long as the person believes it was (autism being the obvious example).

Injecting things is scary because it's "artificial", disease is less so because it's "natural".

People are way more tolerant of risks that bring convenience (driving) than risks that don't or are mildly inconvenient, because the risk is abstract and the convenience is concrete.

And other stuff I can't think of at the moment.
Σא

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2014, 11:09:55 am »
^^ "Other stuff" includes anti-vaxxers having been lucky enough to grow up in a society where vaccination has curbed the spread of disease, never witnessing first-hand how dangerous these conditions can be.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2014, 12:51:14 pm »

They mentioned the same damned thing twice.  SIDS is death, you god damned morons, its in the fucking acronym.  I wish to hell it were legal to sneak freaking vaccines into these fuckers' diets or something.  Your freedom to be a retard ends where the safety of society, perhaps even our species, begins.

Excuse me, I need something happy before I go and bite the head off a god damned baby.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2014, 05:22:30 pm »
SIDS might be a fatal form of infant sleep apnea. Or just an undetected heart defect. Or a post partum embolism. Or the baby instinctively knows that its parents are anti-vaxers and dies of embarrassment.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:39:19 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2014, 06:51:50 pm »
Ah yes, Shamed Infant Death Syndrome.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2014, 08:44:18 pm »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2014, 09:44:21 am »
Because Penn and Teller are awesome.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2014, 04:51:56 pm »
Because Penn and Teller are awesome.

(click to show/hide)

When they aren't on Libertarded rants, Penn and Teller are pretty damned agreeable fellows.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2014, 08:54:03 pm »
Even a stopped clock...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vaccinations-are-proven-to-work-melinda-gates-stephen-harper-1.2658688

Prime Minister Stephen Harper says he doesn’t understand why people in the developed world don’t get vaccinated.

“It's hard for me not to get very emotional about this because we know, we scientifically know, what vaccinations and immunizations have done for us, personally, in our generation and for generations after us,” he said on the second day of the government's maternal, newborn and child health summit.

“I frankly don't understand people who are walking away in our society from something that's proven to work.”

EDIT:

Also, measles is definitely making a comeback.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/measles-in-u-s-at-record-high-level-since-1996-1.2658285

Measles outbreaks seem to be accelerating, and in the last five months have caused more U.S. illnesses than in any entire year since 1996.

Health officials say 307 cases have been reported since New Year's Day. About half have been in the past month — most from a huge outbreak in unvaccinated Amish communities in Ohio.

Okay. That's it. Fuck it. I don't care about preferences or philosophies or whatever other such bullshit. These diseases are deadly and preventable. Everyone gets three options: get vaccinated, get proof that you cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, or be quarantined until you do one of the previous two things. Letting people who have no medical reason not to be vaccinated run around picking up these illnesses and spreading them, especially to the people in that second group, has to stop.

Vaccine, proof, or quarantine. That's it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:08:20 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2014, 10:05:51 am »
Okay. That's it. Fuck it. I don't care about preferences or philosophies or whatever other such bullshit. These diseases are deadly and preventable. Everyone gets three options: get vaccinated, get proof that you cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, or be quarantined until you do one of the previous two things. Letting people who have no medical reason not to be vaccinated run around picking up these illnesses and spreading them, especially to the people in that second group, has to stop.

Vaccine, proof, or quarantine. That's it.

But...AUTISM!  Do you WANT the atheo-Muslim Nazi conspiracy with their FEMA work camps and death panels to win?!  WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA?!