Author Topic: Good Things Religion has Done  (Read 42792 times)

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
Re: Good Things Religion has Done
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 12:49:14 am »
And what objectively bad things done by religious people couldn't be done by atheists?
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2013, 12:51:06 am »
Religion is like fame.  Sometimes it brings out the best in people, while other times, it brings out the worst.

That doesn't answer anything resembling Cait's question DD.

Ironbite-try again

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2013, 12:57:43 am »
What objectively good, moral things did the Quakers do that could NOT have been done by an atheist? Name ANYTHING that is objectively moral that a theist can say or do that an atheist cannot. Hitchens posed this challenge and offered $10,000 to anybody who could do this. Nobody could. In the end, it just doesn't seem to be possible. You just CAN'T prove that religion makes people good. Similarly, as anti-theist as I am, I concede that it doesn't TURN people bad. People are good or bad alongside being religious or not. Religious beliefs don't actually MAKE you a good person--or a bad one. Scripture is a wonderful tool and is so arcane and ambiguous that you can find support for nearly any argument if you choose to interpret or exploit it that way.

Religion can certainly be used to persuade or manipulate people to adopting certain beliefs or ideals, but so can other philosophies in the right hands. It's not a power religion itself has, but rather the way it's being used and the people it's being used ON.

Even if it takes all day, at this point I just want to know what you think religion has caused people to say and do that's not only objectively good, but also something unique to religion.

Why does it have to be unique to religion? Is anyone here trying to prove that religion makes people better than atheism? I thought that the topic was just about how for some people religion is a force for good. That it can inspire people to greatness. This does not mean that it would be the only thing to do so, some people have been inspired to do nice things due to political ideology and some people are just nice people who do good things wether or not they have a religious teachings telling them to do good.

I mean if you believe in karma or something similar (what is that wiccan thing called in english? rule of three?) teaching you that doing good things will benefit you as well it might inspire you to do good.

Certainly you will find people who claim that they are "better" than others because of their faith or lack of faith but I don't see much of that on these forums.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2013, 01:23:17 am »
And what objectively bad things done by religious people couldn't be done by atheists?

This, and...

Why does it have to be unique to religion?

This.

They are both excellent points, IMO.

This topic is called "Good Things Religion has Done."  Not "Good Things ONLY Religion has done."  All this stuff, saying things like "Name one thing that a religious person could do that an atheist couldn't" is just red herring stuff.

And yet many of these same anti-theists who point this out will turn around and point out all the bad things religious people have done, and use that as evidence that "religion is bad."  It's hypocritical and an insult to logical thinking.  Not saying you're doing this, but still.

It feels like you're trying to define the parameters very specifically.  I don't like that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:27:31 am by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2013, 01:27:58 am »
I don't think the point of this thread is to argue that religion is superior to atheism. The point is to demonstrate where religious individuals or ideologies have contributed something positive to the world, instead of always viewing it through the lens of its old rape-pillage-destroy mentality.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2013, 08:09:29 am »
That's exactly my point.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2013, 10:23:25 am »
Need I remind you of the countless people who were inspired to improve themselves through religion?  Need I remind you that MLK was a reverend, that Mr. Rogers was a minister?  Need I remind you of the nuns who have fought for justice and quality of life?

So you are saying religion can be an inspiration for good. Well, yes. That is true. Simplistic, but true. But I don't think it's fair to say that religion is intrinsically good. Any more than it's fair to say it's intrinsically bad. You and I can sit here all day playing the naming religious examples, good and bad. You say MLK, I'll counter with Phelps. You bring up Mr. Rogers. I'll avoid the obvious Mr. Rogers and instead go with Eric Rudolph. You said the nuns who faught for justice and equality of life. Since they weren't named, I'll follow in kind by saying the puritans who banished suspected witches both in the 1600s and a lot more recently in Africa. Religion has been the excuse for good as well as bad. You say religion and human betterment go hand in hand. I'd counter and say knowlegde and human betterment go hand in hand a lot better than religion.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Distind

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2013, 04:12:21 pm »
Just to rise the challenge here

Kill people in the name of their god.

Anyway, religion doesn't accomplish much, people accomplish plenty. When you're dealing with a group that figures anything involved in religion is contained completely within the heads of it's followers(such as a fair chunk of fstdt) you're going to meet some resistance in crediting it with anything. Ultimately in my view it's still the person who did it, and religion is only a small part of why. Typically.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2013, 06:30:32 pm »
*snip*

*snip*
Communists killed in the name of Atheism.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2013, 06:41:32 pm »
*snip*

*snip*
I don't remember reading anything reliable that indicated that Stalin and Mao specifically killed people for the glory of atheism.
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2013, 07:19:49 pm »
*snip*

*snip*
I don't remember reading anything reliable that indicated that Stalin and Mao specifically killed people for the glory of atheism.

No, but they did persecute and kill people for being religious because they felt that religion was a threat to their officially atheist state. Which isn't to say that Stalin used the Church when it suited him, but Mao was much more virulently anti-religious. One of the "Four Olds" that the Cultural Revolution meant to overthrow, for instance, was religion and superstition. It was generally a reaction to what they perceived as "oppressive to the working class" and "brought in by foreign influence," but it's intellectually dishonest to discount what happened there.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2013, 09:50:27 pm »
As a trans-asterisk-woman, I've never had anything to be worried about from religion. Nope, never.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2013, 12:25:59 am »
*smacks Queen on the ass*  Cept gettin' in the kitchin and makin' me a sammich!

Ironbite-make yourself one and leave the dishes for me to clean up as well.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 01:30:44 am »
A lot of the people involved in the abolitionist and Civil Rights movements were Christians.

Offline ASkeptic

• Neonate
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 12:16:04 pm »
Well the Catholic Church gives a lot to third world countries like Haiti, with programs like Food for the Poor. They also have programs that help with post-abortion counseling.
"You know I found out recently that the word 'heretic' comes from the Greek word 'hereticos' meaning 'able to choose', which pretty much says it all, don't you think?" -Pat Condell