Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 111819 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #330 on: August 08, 2016, 02:35:47 pm »
This wasn't actually said on the Internet, but I dug it up on Youtube and transcribed the relevant part, so I'm putting it here. It's an excerpt from Premier of Alberta Rachel Notley's speech at the 2016 NDP national convention in Edmonton. (Hidden for length.)

(click to show/hide)

There were some other good speeches delivered by Stephen Lewis (former Ontario NDP leader, son of former federal NDP leader David Lewis) and Thomas Mulcair (outgoing federal NDP leader).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #331 on: August 11, 2016, 06:54:33 am »
Posting this here because of the replies of course.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #332 on: August 11, 2016, 09:54:55 am »
Christ, that thing has children; I know because I had to look er up to find out why she was relevant.  Apparently, she's a washed up Apprentice hostess or something.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #333 on: August 11, 2016, 11:56:31 am »
Also, apparently a professional troll who makes offensive statements to desperately hang on to her status as a minor celebrity.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #334 on: August 12, 2016, 03:26:43 pm »

...That's actually a pretty good way to put it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #335 on: August 27, 2016, 05:41:39 am »

Edited instead of doubleposting

Penn Jillette might be a libertarian wacko in some ways but on some issues he hits the nail on the head.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5XrZJkJxc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5XrZJkJxc</a>

There’s refugees who are suffering in a way that history will not be kind to us for ignoring that. We must love them. We just embrace them. We must help them. Even if they believe things that we know are wrong. The chances of a terrorist believing in Islam are pretty good. The chances of someone who believes in Islam being a terrorist are very, very bad. Very little chance of that.

We took into Nevada – I live in Nevada. We took nine people from Syria in the entire state of Nevada. That’s how many we welcomed. Nine. The number of fingers Jerry Garcia had – nine. Nine – actually if it’s going to be Jerry Garcia I think it’s nine. Nine? No it’s this hand – nine. Jerry Garcia is not important in this discussion Penn. Get on with it. Nine? No is it nine. Jerry Garcia – nine. Nine. Not nine families. Nine people. Nevada. It’s a state, you know. We’ve got to help those people. Now how do I as an atheist say to Muslims your religion is wrong, your terrorists are crazy, this is dangerous, get over it and then say I love you and you’re welcome. Really, really hard. I’ve got to tell you I know there’s no God and because there’s no God we have to reach out to Muslims. We have to do God’s work because God’s not going to. And that love and that compassion is not going to come from Allah and it’s not going to come from Yet Wah. It’s not going to come from Jesus Christ. That love and compassion is going to come from us. Is it dangerous to embrace Muslims because some of them will be terrorists? Yeah, it’s really dangerous. Do we have to protect ourselves? Yeah, we really do.

There’s hard problems here. Really hard problems. And I don’t have any of the answers to it. But I’ll tell you what the answer isn’t. The answer isn’t standing up with hair that looks like cotton candy made of piss and saying, you know, we’ve got to keep these people out of here. We’ve got to keep these people out of here. I cannot find any way that preaching hate helps that situation.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:22:54 pm by SCarpelan »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #336 on: August 29, 2016, 10:39:03 pm »
http://transgirlnextdoor.tumblr.com/post/109628309279/before-you-ask-a-trans-person-about-their-private

Followed by nine more images about when it's OK to ask a trans person about their genitalia.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #337 on: August 31, 2016, 08:51:00 pm »
Latest on the grazy conspiracy theory / sovereign citizen front: there have been weird advertisement posters recently in UK about a "legal name fraud". I was about to post this on the other thread at first but since I love the comments from the legal experts I'll throw this in here.

What is this about? A BBC article explains:

A further web search took me to a site called legalnamefraud.com, which outlines a theory that when your birth was registered, a legal entity - your legal name - was created. But the legal entity "Jane Smith" is distinct from the actual physical person Jane Smith, the website says.
When your parents registered your birth on the certificate, it insists, they unknowingly gave the Crown Corporation ownership of your name. "Simply thus, all legal names are owned by the Crown, and therefore using a legal name without their written permission is fraud."

The website is registered to a Canadian woman called Kate Renee Thompson who writes under the pseudonym Kate of Gaia. Nobody knows who paid for the costs for the ad campaign - probably hundreds of thousands of pounds - or why the ads have been bought in Britain and not Canada. This is probably connected to a Keith William Thompson who tried to use the sovereign citizen defense in a Canadian court in 2012 to avoid paying his parking fine. Keith and Kate of Gaia might very well be the same person since Keith reportedly preferred to be called Katherine.

When I emailed Kate of Gaia, she replied asking to be addressed as "JANE DOE-755" and urged me to "google legal name fraud and read the essays like millions of others did....be a real journalist vs. a talking B-B.C. talking pair-rot" (sic). She didn't reply to my enquiry about who funded the billboard posters.

I love how the British law experts don't bother mincing their words.
Does this interpretation of the law have any validity? "Absolutely not. Absolutely none at all," says barrister, law blogger and lecturer Carl Gardner. "It's a kind of brew of pseudo-legal ideas. It's the equivalent of thinking Harry Potter is science."
Regardless of who funded it, the campaign has won attention for a hitherto fringe theory. David Allen Green, the legal commentator and solicitor at Preiskel & Co LLP who blogs as Jack of Kent, says it is "complete tosh" and warns people against relying on it in court.

He adds: "It is nothing about law, and it is not harmless. Taking this daftness seriously can be legally dangerous. If people try to use such things to avoid their legal obligations they can end up with county court judgments or even criminal convictions. You may as well walk into court with a t-shirt saying 'I am an idiot'."

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #338 on: September 01, 2016, 02:31:16 am »
Didn't we talk about this earlier already? It's basically the same as the "Crown something-something company" conspiracy theory that Sovereign Citizens have in USA.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #339 on: September 04, 2016, 04:48:53 pm »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #340 on: September 21, 2016, 03:01:16 pm »

This was on FB for less than 5 minutes before someone showed up to reply with "Kill yourself." Currently there are 50 or so replies to his comment. Mainly a bunch of people tearing him a new one or laughing at how little time it took to prove the point of the comic. He keeps responding, alternatively insulting people, claiming that there are only two genders and everything else is made up, claiming that the first amendment of the US constitution protects his right to tell people to kill themselves and that anyone who is mean to him is breaking the laws...

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #341 on: September 21, 2016, 05:46:46 pm »
^What a Dick.

http://www.gq.com/story/a-word-for-donald-trump-voters

Earlier this week, the Washington Post’s David Fahrenthold uncovered yet another Donald Trump scam job, in which he used over $250,000 in charitable donations to help pay off his legal bills. And, because this is Trump, that sordid (and almost certainly illegal) bit of money laundering is just ONE despicable detail of the story. There are many more, including Trump’s club trying to welch on a $1 million hole-in-one payout (out of all of Trump’s bad qualities, his steadfast refusal to pay people what he owes them, while bragging about it, is the most enraging), along with the old bit about Trump blithely ignoring local ordinances so he could put a big, dipshit flagpole up at the Mar-A-Lago club, with his lawyers stating—with a straight face—that a smaller flag “would fail to appropriately express the magnitude of Donald J. Trump’s . . . patriotism” (NOTE: Until recently, Trump didn’t know what the stripes on the flag symbolized).

None of this is surprising, of course. Trump is a liar and a crook, and he commits abominable acts at such a frenetic pace that they get lost in the fury surrounding whatever horrible thing he does next. Keith Olbermann needed over 17 minutes on this site just to list a fraction of the atrocities Trump has staged during election season, and he’s gonna need 17 more minutes to cover what happens between now and Election Day. Remember when Trump said he would get rid of food regulations? That was Thursday.

Regardless, in the end, people are still gonna vote for this man. Maybe not enough to get him elected, but still: it’ll be in the tens of millions. (Note to the people causing the polls to fluctuate: What the fuck is wrong with you? I gotta meet the five percent of people who saw Hillary come down with pneumonia and were like, “Forget her, gimme the dictator with dryer lint hair.”) Nothing that Trump says, no damning piece of Trump reportage, and certainly no opinion piece like this one will stop his voters from pulling the lever. Nor will anything stop Trump from being the officious, braindead goon that he is. He will never answer for his crimes, and there’s a frighteningly large portion of the electorate that will always love him for that.

And so I’d just like to say to that portion of the electorate: Fuck you. No, seriously. Go fuck yourselves. I’m not gonna waste any more time trying to convince you that you’re about to do something you’ll regret forever. I’m not gonna show you old clips of Trump saying rotten things. I’m not gonna try to ANNIHILATE Trump by showing you records of his hypocrisy and greed. I’m not gonna link to a John Oliver clip and be like, “THIS. So much this.” Nothing’s gonna take down Trump at this point, so I’m not gonna bother. No no, this post is for ME. I am preaching to the sad little choir in my soul here.

Because while Trump is a miserable bastard, YOU are the people who have handed him the bullhorn. YOU are the people willing to embarrass this nation and put it on the brink of economic ruin all because you wanna throw an electoral hissy fit. YOU are the people who want to revolutionize the way America does business by voting for its worst businessman, a disgusting neon pig who only makes money when he causes problems for other people instead of solving them. YOU are the thin-skinned yokels who clutch your bandoliers whenever someone hurls the mildest of slurs at you (“deplorables”), while cheering Trump on as he leaves a bonfire of truly hateful invective everywhere he goes. YOU are the people willing to overlook the fact that Trump is an unqualified, ignorant sociopath because DURRRR HILLARY IS BAD TOO DURRRR.

You know what? No, she’s not. She’s fine. I lived through one Clinton, and I can live through another. My reasons for hating Trump are better than your reasons for hating Hillary. Show me all the arguments against her you like. You guys don’t give a shit about facts and research when it comes to Trump, so I’m not gonna give a shit about whatever clumsy meme you cook up to explain why she did Benghazi. Nope. Sorry. Fuck your arguments, and fuck you. Trump has shown no respect for anyone, so I don’t see why you deserve any either. Whatever mildly frustrating centrist liberal bureaucracy that Hillary presides over will be fine compared to the spray tan mushroom cloud that would arise all because YOU thought Trump was such a brave, un-PC dickhead to everyone within shouting distance.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #342 on: September 22, 2016, 12:05:54 am »
[/img]

Also:

Okay, crazy conservatives, so, you're saying, given a large number of people, the vast majority of whom are no threat at all, the possibility that a tiny fraction of the group might possibly be dangerous is justification for ignoring the needs of everyone else, for rejecting all of them and letting them continue to suffer their oppression. Yes? That's what you're saying?

Are you aware that you are simultaneously making an argument for the total elimination of guns from society?

In fact, here's a simplified restatement for the slower kids in back.

The Skittles meme can be paraphrased as follows: "Here's a group of a thousand people. One of them might be dangerous. We don't know which one, and we don't know for sure. But there's a chance one of them could be a killer."

If that justifies keeping that entire group out of the country, it also justifies disarming the public, i.e., taking away everyone's guns on the chance that one person might be a violent lunatic. If you insist upon the former but reject the latter, then your argument is not rational or logically formed, and it is incumbent upon you to identify the emotional bias that leads you to support one conclusion but not the other.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #343 on: September 22, 2016, 04:23:54 pm »
Re apartheid:
Talking to white South Africans of my parents’ generation, what one hears most often is wistfulness. They once lived in a magical country in which everything was set up in order to belong to people like them. If they looked under the surface then what they saw was deeply ugly, but many intentionally chose not to for that very reason. Many, even lefties like my parents, will occasionally wax nostalgic about it. Yes, it was hideous, but they didn’t see the hideousness in their daily lives if they didn’t look for it: what they saw was a country where people like them got to vote for leaders like them who spoke about policies that concerned people like them, in their own language. When people on television made jokes then they could relate to them, and when religious leaders said bigoted things then at least it was a bigotry they were familiar with. That’s something which is hard to hate even if you know that it exists upon immoral foundations.

It’s easy to deal with that conflict by hating its victims, and many white South Africans did that. It’s also easy to deal with it by saying “we know we should reform it, but then it wouldn’t be our country any more, so we can’t bear to.” Many white South Africans did that too.

I have a great deal of fellow feeling with modern-day Israelis. No matter how much one knows about the ugliness that underlies everything, what one sees on a daily basis is a comfortable country. Jewish people elect a Jewish government which governs for its Jewish citizens in Hebrew. The jokes on television are about things they can relate to, and when religious leaders say something bigoted then at least it’s a bigotry that they can relate to. If you’re an outsider then it’s very easy to say “we need to give Palestinians the right to return,” and very easy to scoff at the response “then it wouldn’t be our country any more”; but that is a genuine and heartfelt response and should not be downplayed.

Similarly, when I hear neoconfederates in the United States, or isolationists in Australia or UKIP members in the United Kingdom, I can hear the same plaintive cry. I empathise with it, but I oppose it as I must.

We destroyed apartheid in South Africa, and it was the right thing to do. Nowadays the government is black, voted in by a mostly black electorate, and it governs on behalf of a mostly black nation. Afrikaans language music and television is now pretty niche, and when people worry about what the religious community will think, they’re no longer thinking of the Dutch Reformed Church. In a sense, we lost our country. In another sense, it was never ours to begin with. In a broader sense it is still ours and always has been, but the “us” has broadened. In the broadest sense, we didn’t lose our country but won it, and in doing so won ourselves too.

It hurts to let go of privilege. I will not diminish that. It is very painful to admit that we were wrong all along, and that the fairytale land of our childhoods must recede into mist as all fairytales do. But it is important.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #344 on: September 29, 2016, 10:47:44 am »
HAH!

I'll just link this since it's so long: http://imgur.com/gallery/Y4Cs6