Author Topic: Apparently not only the self-absorbed generation but the stingiest?  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/09/the-cheapest-generation/309060/

In 2009, Ford brought its new supermini, the Fiesta, over from Europe in a brave attempt to attract the attention of young Americans. It passed out 100 of the cars to influential bloggers for a free six-month test-drive, with just one condition: document your experience online, whether you love the Fiesta or hate it.

Young bloggers loved the car. Young drivers? Not so much. After a brief burst of excitement, in which Ford sold more than 90,000 units over 18 months, Fiesta sales plummeted. As of April 2012, they were down 30 percent from 2011.

Don’t blame Ford. The company is trying to solve a puzzle that’s bewildering every automaker in America: How do you sell cars to Millennials (a k a Generation Y)? The fact is, today’s young people simply don’t drive like their predecessors did. In 2010, adults between the ages of 21 and 34 bought just 27 percent of all new vehicles sold in America, down from the peak of 38 percent in 1985. Miles driven are down, too. Even the proportion of teenagers with a license fell, by 28 percent, between 1998 and 2008.

As summed up by a commenter:
“You mean the generation that paid three times as much for college to enter a job market with triple the unemployment isn’t interested in purchasing the assets of the generation who just blew an enormous housing bubble and kept it from popping through quantitative easing and out-and-out federal support? Curious.”

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Apparently not only the self-absorbed generation but the stingiest?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:54:43 pm »
And this, boys and girls, is why I buy used.  *Pats The Tank affectionately*
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 12:09:43 am »
And remember folks this generation is the worst just like the previous generation, the second previous generation, the third previous generation , ect.

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” – Socrates

Ageism is ageless, don’t let it be used as a distraction.

In a bid to reverse these trends, General Motors has enlisted the youth-brand consultants at MTV Scratch—a corporate cousin of the TV network responsible for Jersey Shore—to give its vehicles some 20-something edge.

But hey, keep blaming your customers I am sure that is a viable business strategy.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:13:00 am by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 12:33:18 am »
In a bid to reverse these trends, General Motors has enlisted the youth-brand consultants at MTV Scratch—a corporate cousin of the TV network responsible for Jersey Shore—to give its vehicles some 20-something edge.
But hey, keep blaming your customers I am sure that is a viable business strategy.

But if they are hiring a consultant and trying to change in order to fit their new customers, how does that imply that they are just blaming the customers? I mean they have noticed that the new generation has different tastes (for example, they love Jersey shore) and are trying to adapt to that. And that's just smart.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 12:56:14 am »
I think what makes this generation gap different is that the previous generation had it better then this current one

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 01:00:34 am »

But if they are hiring a consultant and trying to change in order to fit their new customers, how does that imply that they are just blaming the customers? I mean they have noticed that the new generation has different tastes (for example, they love Jersey shore) and are trying to adapt to that. And that's just smart.

Because the following sentiments did not occur in vacuum:
Perhaps. But what if these assumptions are simply wrong? What if Millennials’ aversion to car-buying isn’t a temporary side effect of the recession, but part of a permanent generational shift in tastes and spending habits?

Subaru’s publicist Doug O’Reilly told us, “The Millennial wants to tell people not just ‘I’ve made it,’ but also ‘I’m a tech person.’ ” Smartphones compete against cars for young people’s big-ticket dollars, since the cost of a good phone and data plan can exceed $1,000 a year. But they also provide some of the same psychic benefits—opening new vistas and carrying us far from the physical space in which we reside. “You no longer need to feel connected to your friends with a car when you have this technology that’s so ubiquitous, it transcends time and space,” Connelly said.

Don’t pigeonhole tech as competition especially when it is so closely tied with the current generation as a cultural matter. That only creates the impression of a "us or them" scenario. Integrate and expand.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 01:05:15 am »
Hey, I just turned 22, and I'm still on my learner's permit. Even if I did have my license, I couldn't afford a car. I'm still going through College on a budget where I can't even afford to live on my own. I've always been puzzled at how parents will just buy cars for their kids on their sixteenth birthdays.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 01:14:58 am »
Hey, I just turned 22, and I'm still on my learner's permit. Even if I did have my license, I couldn't afford a car. I'm still going through College on a budget where I can't even afford to live on my own. I've always been puzzled at how parents will just buy cars for their kids on their sixteenth birthdays.
The amount of wealth parents possess directly impacts the rate of advancement and achievement of societal norms for their children. More money to allocate, more contact to exploit and more access to resources. This assumes they are willing to allocate that wealth of course. Otherwise they are just digging themselves deeper in debt to do so.

The above is undertaken to fulfill old societal norms from the past. Things have changed, not superimposing expectations and outdated conditions is very difficult for many parents.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:06:05 am »
I'm 17 and have my licence, but mainly because my parents really wanted me to, because they want me to actually be able to go get stuff done without them (whether it be running an errand or going and buying my own damn Monster), and because they really need the extra help with money (thankfully have been told that I'll be getting a call late September to start seasonal work at a store after about a year of putting in applications everywhere I could think of).
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 11:11:05 am »

I could afford to buy new, so I went with a compact car that has a hatchback and awesome gas mileage.  I plan on running that fucker into the GROUND.

...And of course, the dealer is trying to get me to sell it back "due to high demand" so they can sell me another one.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 04:46:15 pm »
Ummm, car companies ... those young people?  They don't have any money. 
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 09:39:55 pm »

I could afford to buy new, so I went with a compact car that has a hatchback and awesome gas mileage.  I plan on running that fucker into the GROUND.

...And of course, the dealer is trying to get me to sell it back "due to high demand" so they can sell me another one.

Honda, baby.  '87, west coast... she still needs maintenance now and again, but I love the old gal to pieces.  She's gotten me through a lot.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 12:47:09 pm »
The fact is, today’s young people simply don’t drive like their predecessors did.

I don't see what the problem is here. If anything, It's probably a good thing that we reduce the amount of driving and cars on the road. I mean from a personal point, you can save a lot by car pooling. If you're using public transportation, it helps create some public sector jobs and reduce traffic. The only way I see this as a problem is if all the millenials were one of those "friends" who only every hit you up when they need a ride somewhere.

In 2010, adults between the ages of 21 and 34 bought just 27 percent of all new vehicles sold in America, down from the peak of 38 percent in 1985. Miles driven are down, too

That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 06:11:17 pm »
I really don't understand how not having a car is stingy.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 07:02:38 pm »
I was driving a 1990 Toyota for most of my college life because my folks are broke and couldn't afford a new one. Apparently growing up working class and not being able to afford a new Mustang every year makes you "stingy".
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)