Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 568287 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #900 on: April 21, 2012, 11:19:54 pm »

It's nice to know that Pinkie's Party cannon is not only good for making instant parties, but also fighting against changlings

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #901 on: April 22, 2012, 12:12:36 am »
I think it's a shame that they only had two episodes to tell the story. I mean, they did an excellent job, but they were kinda pressed for time to resolve everything.  I think they could've had more awesome if they had more time.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #902 on: April 22, 2012, 01:29:24 am »
I don't see how they could've made it longer, actually, without making it drag on.

As it is... holy crap, this was MOVIE quality work.

(click to show/hide)

In short...

/)^3^(\ SO AWESOME!
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

• The Beast
« Reply #903 on: April 22, 2012, 02:03:14 am »
I saw Derpy once or twice, but I wasn't able to note if she was derped at the time.

Oh, that was the other thing I wanted to mention: Combat Party Cannon.

I saw her with derp eyes in the background.  I don't remember where, but I saw it.  I'll find it again.  I found it again!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 02:11:12 am by B-Man »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #904 on: April 22, 2012, 02:28:07 am »
Going to copy and paste from the pre-reader e-mail thread discussion I started after the episode aired.  Bear in mind, this was really, really hard to write, as a member of the biggest muffin pony fansite out there.

"Ironically, despite me being the one to start this thread, and initially enjoy the two-parter, and on some level still do... there's just too many problems with this season finale for me to enjoy the show, in a sense.

I realize, this is a cartoon made to sell toys to little girls.  I understand that.  But when you go so wildly off-course from S1E1 of "Celestia and Luna are Goddesses" to S2E25/26 where Celestia's getting beaten with... not much in the way of trouble, no sign of the massive amounts of Royal Guards shown earlier, no sign of Luna save for those three brief moments and lines, and no explanation as to how Cadence became an alicorn, or where she's from (is she from outside Equestria? if so, then does each province have an alicorn ruler? if THAT'S the case, then the whole 'all-powerful-deities' canon from the VERY FIRST EPISODE is thrown out the window) or any other details beyond 'she foal-sat Twilight'.  Shining Armor? why didn't we see him in Cutie Mark Chronicles? Why wasn't Twilight writing letters to him, if they were so close?

There's so many holes here that you could fly the entire Wonderbolts squadron through, backwards, blindfolded, and pulling simultaneous Rainbooms.

... ... what happened to the show I knew and loved? Maybe... I don't know.  If this is the way the show's going, I don't know if I'll even have much interest in season three."
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

• The Beast
« Reply #905 on: April 22, 2012, 02:48:59 am »
Going to copy and paste from the pre-reader e-mail thread discussion I started after the episode aired.  Bear in mind, this was really, really hard to write, as a member of the biggest muffin pony fansite out there.

"Ironically, despite me being the one to start this thread, and initially enjoy the two-parter, and on some level still do... there's just too many problems with this season finale for me to enjoy the show, in a sense.

I realize, this is a cartoon made to sell toys to little girls.  I understand that.  But when you go so wildly off-course from S1E1 of "Celestia and Luna are Goddesses" to S2E25/26 where Celestia's getting beaten with... not much in the way of trouble, no sign of the massive amounts of Royal Guards shown earlier, no sign of Luna save for those three brief moments and lines, and no explanation as to how Cadence became an alicorn, or where she's from (is she from outside Equestria? if so, then does each province have an alicorn ruler? if THAT'S the case, then the whole 'all-powerful-deities' canon from the VERY FIRST EPISODE is thrown out the window) or any other details beyond 'she foal-sat Twilight'.  Shining Armor? why didn't we see him in Cutie Mark Chronicles? Why wasn't Twilight writing letters to him, if they were so close?

There's so many holes here that you could fly the entire Wonderbolts squadron through, backwards, blindfolded, and pulling simultaneous Rainbooms.

... ... what happened to the show I knew and loved? Maybe... I don't know.  If this is the way the show's going, I don't know if I'll even have much interest in season three."

Seen through the eyes of a true prereader, eh?  In defense of the show's crew, they only have about 44 minutes to tell the story, man.  They can only fit in so much detail.  The fandom will fill in the gaps, I'm sure.

This is why I mentioned that they could've done more if they had more time than just two episodes.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #906 on: April 22, 2012, 02:49:37 am »
I've got a few things to address about that, actually.  I'm not saying you're wrong to hold that opinion, by the way.

1. The Power of Love is so powerful that not even a physical goddess can fight it... even when it's used as a weapon by a villain.  The fact that even Queen Chrysalis was shocked by this is hugely telling.  Also, it wasn't "without much effort"... it's just that in a beam war, it doesn't take too long to actually resolve.

Unless you're Dragon Ball Z.  Taking 20 minutes to resolve a beam war is just not fun.

2. Luna's nocturnal.  She was asleep.  If you notice, she doesn't appear again until the night.

3. The guards were all outside, because they all thought the threat was still outside.  As you can see in a snippet, the changelings were easily capable of overpowering the guards.  VERY easily.

4. I think it's been stated that Cadence is Celestia's (great-great-great-great-great-great) Niece.  As for how she became an Alicorn, well... that's The Question, isn't it?

5. The letters were probably being written off-screen.  That being said, it's quite possible that Shining Armor was invented for this episode.  That doesn't make it bad.  As for why he wasn't at Twilight's entrance exam, well, he was probably in the middle of training.

I'm actually kinda sad that you're disappointed with this episode :( Not because I think you're wrong, but because it just seems so... depressing to have enjoyed this episode greatly and find that it caused another such anguish.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 02:51:24 am by Zachski »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #907 on: April 22, 2012, 12:00:31 pm »
I've got a few things to address about that, actually.  I'm not saying you're wrong to hold that opinion, by the way.

1. The Power of Love is so powerful that not even a physical goddess can fight it... even when it's used as a weapon by a villain.  The fact that even Queen Chrysalis was shocked by this is hugely telling.  Also, it wasn't "without much effort"... it's just that in a beam war, it doesn't take too long to actually resolve.

Unless you're Dragon Ball Z.  Taking 20 minutes to resolve a beam war is just not fun.

2. Luna's nocturnal.  She was asleep.  If you notice, she doesn't appear again until the night.

3. The guards were all outside, because they all thought the threat was still outside.  As you can see in a snippet, the changelings were easily capable of overpowering the guards.  VERY easily.

4. I think it's been stated that Cadence is Celestia's (great-great-great-great-great-great) Niece.  As for how she became an Alicorn, well... that's The Question, isn't it?

5. The letters were probably being written off-screen.  That being said, it's quite possible that Shining Armor was invented for this episode.  That doesn't make it bad.  As for why he wasn't at Twilight's entrance exam, well, he was probably in the middle of training.

I'm actually kinda sad that you're disappointed with this episode :( Not because I think you're wrong, but because it just seems so... depressing to have enjoyed this episode greatly and find that it caused another such anguish.

^^ This.

If this is the way the show's going, I don't know if I'll even have much interest in season three."

Don't mean to sound like a bitch, but stop the dramatics...as someone who's part of the Star Wars fandom, I see a whole lot of this "I'm not going to be a fan anymore because of_____, ______ &______. And it's ANNOYING to no end. It only serves to make someone look like a whine baby. I'm not saying, you can't have complaints, just don't start the whole "I'm not going to be a fan anymore" bs. It's very unflattering looking.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:02:44 pm by nickiknack »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #908 on: April 22, 2012, 06:47:41 pm »
It's mostly the fact that S2E25/26 has sharply veered from the actual SHOW CANON that was used in S1E1.  That's my main beef.  To somepony that started with the show (all the way back in G1, mind you), that's watched all the episodes four times each at least, helped run and worked at major pony cons... it really, really bothers me that they've taken established canon and made it... a shadow of its former self.

In other news, thought I'd share the pain of THIS little gem of a fic.  Bring brain bleach and booze.  You'll need both:  http://www.fimfiction.net/story/22075/1/The-Gospel-According-to-Twilight-Sparkle/
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #909 on: April 22, 2012, 07:07:10 pm »
It's mostly the fact that S2E25/26 has sharply veered from the actual SHOW CANON that was used in S1E1.  That's my main beef.

Errr.... no.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #910 on: April 22, 2012, 07:10:19 pm »
It's mostly the fact that S2E25/26 has sharply veered from the actual SHOW CANON that was used in S1E1.  That's my main beef.  To somepony that started with the show (all the way back in G1, mind you), that's watched all the episodes four times each at least, helped run and worked at major pony cons... it really, really bothers me that they've taken established canon and made it... a shadow of its former self.

Such as??? Examples would be great, because I fail to see where you're coming from.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #911 on: April 22, 2012, 07:25:17 pm »
In other news, thought I'd share the pain of THIS little gem of a fic.  Bring brain bleach and booze.  You'll need both:  http://www.fimfiction.net/story/22075/1/The-Gospel-According-to-Twilight-Sparkle/

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #912 on: April 22, 2012, 08:18:56 pm »
I liked the wedding episode.

I don't think it veered unacceptably from canon, especially since the fairy tale at the beginning is old pony folklore, from a time somewhere in between "Luna is banished" and "Luna's origins are forgotten and she becomes a bogeymare a la Nightmare Night."  It's very possible that, as the alicorns are very long-lived (possibly immortal) and unusually powerful, that other ponies might have thought they were gods when they weren't.  And lest we forget, even gods aren't all-powerful, necessarily--they're just waaaaay more powerful than most mortals.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #913 on: April 22, 2012, 09:37:25 pm »
I still see Celestia and Luna as physical goddesses.

and as Season 1, Episode 1 and 2 showed us, physical goddesses can be defeated.  Celestia was sealed in the sun by Nightmare Moon.  Nightmare Moon was defeated by the power of harmony.

In Season 2, Episode 26, a villain wielding the Power of Love was able, with no small effort, to defeat Celestia.  What is Love if not the complete Element of Harmony?  It contains friendship, loyalty, honesty, laughter, and kindness.

In short, Nightmare Moon > Celestia, Elements of Harmony > Nightmare Moon, Love = Elementals of Harmony, therefore, Love > Celestia.

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #914 on: April 22, 2012, 11:12:18 pm »
this episode was awesome! we saw a filly twilight, Lyra talked!, they had some good songs, and Luna was there!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 11:14:47 pm by Iczerfour »