Author Topic: Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 159301 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #345 on: November 20, 2015, 06:06:17 am »
I did a jaunty little dance to Maroon 5's song Animals.

I look really good right now but I'm tired, perpetually aching from work and ennervated by annoying personalities in my life. All in all, average week it seems. At least I make money now.

Increasingly I cannot stand chatty people I do not want to hear about your life's minute details.

I should sleep now it's late and the sleeping medication is kicking in.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

pyro

« Reply #346 on: November 20, 2015, 08:42:16 am »
Contrast Gloria Gaynor's "I will survive" with Cake's cover.

Even Then

« Reply #347 on: November 22, 2015, 12:33:18 am »
Or the Finnish song "Restless girl" that I just heard on the radio and which got me started on this line of thinking... Originally sang by a guy it is about a boy who is in love with a girl but she keeps pushing him away and he warns her that she might lose him forever if she does that and questions her on what is she afraid of. ...And although I'm phrasing it badly he does not come off as stalkerish in the song. But now I heard a version where the singer is female and the song is obviously a love song to a closeted lesbian who is afraid to come out.

Well, the last time I translated lyrics was a failure... so fuck it, let's try it again. This is the Random Thoughts thread, after all.

(click to show/hide)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #348 on: November 22, 2015, 12:56:43 pm »
Those are great lyrics! Good job translating, Even Then.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #349 on: November 22, 2015, 03:32:05 pm »
Like that "I kissed a girl" song that is suddenly a song about a shy boy who is from a very strict family and is afraid of any premarital contact with women...

I dunno...there is the line "I hope my boyfriend don't mind it." Granted, I don't have the lyrics memorized, but to me, that would be more like a gay man discovering bisexual tendencies. So, just like the original, but gender-flipped.

Edit: I've also heard about theater groups putting on all-male versions of "Grease" that made the characters gay and can't help wondering how the story in general and lyrics in particular had to be modified. Not that "Tell Me More" is the great romantic classic people tend to remember it as, anyway, with the girls sounding like gold-diggers looking for a sugar daddy and the guys sounding like shameless date-rapists.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:34:44 pm by R. U. Sirius »
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Even Then

« Reply #350 on: November 24, 2015, 02:07:40 am »
Tell Me More is catchy and I hate that it's catchy because the lyrics are shit from a MGTOW's ass.

New topic. Anybody have any other songs where the melodies are awesome but the lyrics are abhorrent?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:11:56 am by Even Then »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #351 on: November 24, 2015, 02:24:18 am »
There are such songs... I can't remember any right now which is a good thing because if I do I will have the lyrics stuck inside my head for an hour at least.

ANother random thought... Or a random conversation from elsewhere on the net at least. Dude was asking how do people feel about interspecies romance. Several good points were brought up. Like that people seem to focus on the interspecies sex&procraetion and complications from that rather than the romance part. That even if the cross species couple can't have kids this is not a problem because it's not like every couple in the real world is going to have kids anyway.

...And immediately people were protesting this because they really feel that it's not a proper relationship if you can't have kids.

...Someone specified that "it's ok in fantasy but interspecies is not ok in SCIFI" and when pestered for reasons he said "if you can't have kids it's an evolutionary dead end."

So yeah, apparently "YOU MUST HAVE KIDS" is still a really big thing even on a subconscious level for many people if they even protest about fictional couples that choose not to / can't have kids...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Even Then

« Reply #352 on: November 24, 2015, 02:43:07 am »
Because... it's impossible for interspecies couples to have children in scifi? *shrug*

Anyway, I confess I like the idea of interspecies romance. I think it's cute. As long as the two species in question are sapient and can communicate, of course.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #353 on: November 24, 2015, 11:46:01 am »
The Asari being, in effect, a massive exception. <runs>
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

pyro

« Reply #354 on: November 24, 2015, 12:28:39 pm »
Because... it's impossible for interspecies couples to have children in scifi? *shrug*

Someone should tell Spock.

As for creepy, catchy songs, I'll just go with the old standby: Every Move You Make.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #355 on: November 24, 2015, 05:39:40 pm »
The Asari being, in effect, a massive exception. <runs>

Not really, from what I remember about Mass Effect Asari reproduction works like this.

1. Mother bonds with random species or other Asari.

2. The mother then randomizes all genes using the fathers as a template but not taking any of the fathers whatsoever.

3. Adorbale blue babies are born and have some traits due to weird gene randomization.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #356 on: November 24, 2015, 11:58:43 pm »
I thought they were chimeras?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #357 on: November 25, 2015, 02:00:01 am »
Depending on the scifi they could make some sort of genetic hybrid grown in a lab. ...Or use artificial insemination have have a child of the mother's species. ...Or adopt kids. ...If they even plan to get kids at all.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #358 on: December 03, 2015, 10:32:25 pm »
So against my better judgment I decided to look back into why FATAL (the tabletop game for those wondering) was so hated and I regret it immediately.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #359 on: December 03, 2015, 10:35:25 pm »
So against my better judgment I decided to look back into why FATAL (the tabletop game for those wondering) was so hated and I regret it immediately.

Randy gay ogres? Rolling for anal circumference? Wait, no, I've got it. The worst thing that happens to a woman when her clit gets hacked in twain is not wanting sex for a month. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 10:38:25 pm by Svata »
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".