Author Topic: go Science...  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Kristine

• The Beast
go Science...
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:46:20 am »

Researchers at the Vienna University of Technology decided to print a race car on a nanoscale, using lasers. “The focal point of the laser beam is guided through the resin by movable mirrors and leaves behind a polymerized line of solid polymer, just a few hundred nanometers wide. This high resolution enables the creation of intricately structured sculptures as tiny as a grain of sand.” This is a technique they call “two-photon lithography.” (Video)

And while printing on such a scale is nothing new, the speed at which these researchers did it is. The race car you see above is 100 µm wide (the width of a human hair) and is made up of 100 layers, consisting of approximately 200 single lines each; it was printed in 4 minutes. The details of exactly how they did it are quite interesting and definitely worth a read at the link below. “Scientists are now developing bio-compatible resins for medical applications. They can be used to create scaffolds to which living cells can attach themselves facilitating the systematic creation of biological tissues. The 3d printer could also be used to create tailor made construction parts for biomedical technology or nanotechnology.”
http://www.tuwien.ac.at/en/news/news_detail/article/7444/
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y0j191H0kY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y0j191H0kY</a>

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Re: go Science...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:51:47 am »
Neat!  Now I want to see them do a portrait of someone.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:50:05 am »
That is absolutely awesome.
I wonder what they could use it for. It is sculpted out of the resin, and really small. I can imagine it would have uses in creating super computers, but I wonder if there is a possible nanotechnology application.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 05:20:04 pm »
I wonder what they could use it for. It is sculpted out of the resin, and really small. I can imagine it would have uses in creating super computers, but I wonder if there is a possible nanotechnology application.

It would be awesome if this kind of technology could go towards medical applications, such as designing materials that can be used to repair nerve damage, and so on.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Kristine

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 02:24:58 am »

It would be awesome if this kind of technology could go towards medical applications, such as designing materials that can be used to repair nerve damage, and so on.

“Scientists are now developing bio-compatible resins for medical applications. They can be used to create scaffolds to which living cells can attach themselves facilitating the systematic creation of biological tissues. The 3d printer could also be used to create tailor made construction parts for biomedical technology or nanotechnology.”

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:25:18 pm »
How do we save the world?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNtOubBQv10" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNtOubBQv10</a>

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 07:41:03 pm »
This is not a big achievement.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 08:33:11 pm »

I was referencing the fact it can be used in the far future to possibly fix nerve damage. I consider that amazing and cool.

“Scientists are now developing bio-compatible resins for medical applications. They can be used to create scaffolds to which living cells can attach themselves facilitating the systematic creation of biological tissues. The 3d printer could also be used to create tailor made construction parts for biomedical technology or nanotechnology.”

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Kristine

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 12:28:12 am »
This is not a big achievement.
How about this...

The researchers, from Imperial College London, have demonstrated a way of creating a new type of biological "wire", using proteins that interact with DNA and behave like wires in electronic circuitry. The scientists say the advantage of their new biological wire is that it can be re-engineered over and over again to create potentially billions of connections between DNA components. Previously, scientists have had a limited number of "wires" available with which to link DNA components in biological machines, restricting the complexity that could be achieved.

The team has also developed more of the fundamental DNA components, called "promoters", which are needed for re-programming yeast to perform different tasks. Scientists currently have a very limited catalogue of components from which to engineer biological machines. By enlarging the components pool and making it freely available to the scientific community via rapid Open Access publication, the team in today's study aims to spur on development in the field of synthetic biology.

Future applications of this work could include tiny yeast-based machines that can be dropped into water supplies to detect contaminants, and yeast that records environmental conditions during the manufacture of biofuels to determine if improvements can be made to the production process.

Dr Tom Ellis, senior author of the paper from the Centre for Synthetic Biology and Innovation and the Department of Bioengineering at Imperial College London, says: "From viticulture to making bread, humans have been working with yeast for thousands of years to enhance society. Excitingly, our work is taking us closer to developing more complex biological machines with yeast. These tiny biological machines could help to improve things such as pollution monitoring and cleaner fuels, which could make a difference in all our lives."

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 08:47:44 am »
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy